Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! (/Thread-ACCEPTED-into-Georgia-Tech-s-OMS-Cybersecurity)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - jsd - 11-01-2018

(11-01-2018, 10:51 PM)Merlin Wrote: is that per semester or self-paced?

I am considering applying for the OMSCS but I don't want to start a program if it will take two years to complete it. I am leaning toward the WGU MBA or MSML partially because of the fact that I can get both of those done in under a year if I wanted to, or complete one in a few months and be free to start on a multi-year Ph.D. after that if I still have the itch to gain more degrees.

It is unfortunately per term (2 in spring term, only 1 in summer term, 2 in fall term). This is the only thing that made me question if I wanted to do it. Courses are "asynchronous," but not self paced.

But with my work willing to pay 100% for my education at a school on the level of GA Tech for this field, it's dumb for me to turn down. I wouldn't have been too upset if I was declined, because I would have done a competency based InfoSec degree AND an IT Management or MBA IT degree instead.... but ultimately just having GA Tech on the resume will open as many doors as two masters from unknown places. I think. Hopefully, at least Wink

RE: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - dfrecore - 11-02-2018

(11-01-2018, 11:52 PM)jsd Wrote: [quote pid='272196' dateline='1541130697']

It is unfortunately per term (2 in spring term, only 1 in summer term, 2 in fall term). This is the only thing that made me question if I wanted to do it. Courses are "asynchronous," but not self paced.

But with my work willing to pay 100% for my education at a school on the level of GA Tech for this field, it's dumb for me to turn down. I wouldn't have been too upset if I was declined, because I would have done a competency based InfoSec degree AND an IT Managemen or MBA IT degree instead.... but ultimately just having GA Tech on the resume will open as many doors as two masters from unknown places. I think. Hopefully, at least Wink
[/quote]

Well, if you get bored, you can always get your MBA at WGU while you're at it!  Big Grin

RE: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - jsd - 11-02-2018

(11-02-2018, 12:00 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, if you get bored, you can always get your MBA at WGU while you're at it!  Big Grin

As long as you're paying Wink

RE: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - Merlin - 11-02-2018

(11-01-2018, 11:52 PM)jsd Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 10:51 PM)Merlin Wrote: is that per semester or self-paced?

But with my work willing to pay 100% for my education at a school on the level of GA Tech for this field, it's dumb for me to turn down. I wouldn't have been too upset if I was declined, because I would have done a competency based InfoSec degree AND an IT Management or MBA IT degree instead.... but ultimately just having GA Tech on the resume will open as many doors as two masters from unknown places. I think. Hopefully, at least Wink

Bah, that is what I thought. I assume the OMSCS is set up the same way, despite being delivered primarily in MOOC format. So, at max, you can earn 15 credits per year; which means you're looking at a minimum of two years to complete the degree (assuming 30-36 credits like most MS degrees).

If I needed something like this for work the time investment would be worth it for sure. Hard to beat the GA Tech name on a tech-based degree. Doubly so given your company will pay for it.

Yeah CS is the same way it appears, according to the catalog. CySec is also MOOC based by the way... just through EdX instead of uDacity

RE: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - sanantone - 11-02-2018

Congratulations! I would suffer for two years for a free Georgia Tech degree too. LOL

RE: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - MSK9 - 11-02-2018

Congrats!!

RE: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - mednat - 11-02-2018

Congrats! I'm looking very hard at the Comp Sci masters. I've been very impressed with their material.

RE: ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! - davewill - 11-02-2018

Congrats!!!! I had started OMSCS, but didn't have the time to continue it. I will say that you may be hard pressed to keep up with even 2 courses at a time. This will NOT be like banging out Study.com or CLEP undergrad courses!

(11-02-2018, 10:56 AM)davewill Wrote: Congrats!!!! I had started OMSCS, but didn't have the time to continue it. I will say that you may be hard pressed to keep up with even 2 courses at a time. This will NOT be like banging out Study.com or CLEP ungrad courses!

Yeah I am a little nervous about this. I don’t want to do one at a time and extend it to theee years, but I don’t think 32 WGU units in 6 months can compare to even 6 GT graduate credits in a term.