Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
OnlineDegree.com Details? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: OnlineDegree.com Details? (/Thread-OnlineDegree-com-Details)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

OnlineDegree.com Details? - katelynn - 11-07-2018

How do you enjoy OnlineDegree.com compared to Study.com and SL? 

Is it live proctoring or does it send your recorded session in for review later? 

I still need all of my Gen Ed electives - can I take any through OnlineDegree.com?

Which courses of theirs would you recommend I take for a TESU psych degree? 

As always, thanks so much. Smile

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - MNomadic - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 08:59 PM)katelynn Wrote: How do you enjoy OnlineDegree.com compared to Study.com and SL? 
I enjoy it about as much as SDC. The core lectures are Superior and more "academic" in my opinion but I do enjoy the bite size format of SDC's 5-10 minute videos.

Is it live proctoring or does it send your recorded session in for review later? 
It records your session just like on SDC(using RPnow).

I still need all of my Gen Ed electives - can I take any through OnlineDegree.com?
Sure. Astronomy, biology, environmental science, history and psychology should work. Maybe some others, too.
It depends upon what you already have and still need. If you find that you enjoy the OD course format, then take as many as you can since $9/course is hard to beat. 

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - mysonx3 - 11-07-2018

I've done a handful of Study.com courses and only one OnlineDegree.com courses, and I think OnlineDegree's format is better for learning the material (mostly because the lectures are more substantial) BUT there are no shortcuts to get through a class quickly with Online Degree.

I'm guessing you've already taken something for Psych 101, but if not I believe Online Degree has one. I highly recommend the Astronomy class if you need to fill a science slot or even as a Gen Ed elective. I found it very enjoyable.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - Merlin - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 09:35 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: [...]
I'm guessing you've already taken something for Psych 101, but if not I believe Online Degree has one.
[...]

Yes, it does. I started the OD Psychology 101 course as I was planning to take it instead of the one at SDC, but found that I didn't like that I didn't like the OD format. The nail in the coffin for me was the combination of a lack of a text summary (plus being locked to watching the videos at full speed to get credit) and the inability to review prior tests to help figure out your areas of weakness for study purposes.

After I got a few modules in, I decided to switch to Study.com and completed that course plus 3 other psychology courses.

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - ThirtySomething - 11-08-2018

What does the astronomy code come in as for TESU? I still need 1 credit for Natural World and I have Astronomy already from my previous university which registers as PHY-180. I’m wondering if I can take the astronomy through OD just to get that singular credit out of the way. Otherwise, would anyone recommend another course from OD that would fit that 1 credit under Natural World? Thanks!

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - Merlin - 11-08-2018

(11-08-2018, 10:07 AM)ThirtySomething Wrote: What does the astronomy code come in as for TESU? I still need 1 credit for Natural World and I have Astronomy already from my previous university which registers as PHY-180. I’m wondering if I can take the astronomy through OD just to get that singular credit out of the way. Otherwise, would anyone recommend another course from OD that would fit that 1 credit under Natural World? Thanks!

Its generally a bad idea to try to focus on getting 1 credit, just go for a 3 credit course. There are a handful of 1cr courses out there but few will fit into natural sciences.

Also remember that CS courses will also fill the NatSci slot, so if you've taken any of those, they can be used in that slot too.

I'd suggest taking the TEEX courses since they're free, 2 cr each, and ACE recommended again (at least for a short time) but I don't think any of those will fit into NatSci/GenEd now. At least they didn't for me and I even specifically asked for CIS-244 to be placed there.

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - cookderosa - 11-08-2018

(11-07-2018, 08:59 PM)katelynn Wrote: How do you enjoy OnlineDegree.com compared to Study.com and SL? 

I have 2 sons doing classes, and they haven't gotten to the final yet, so I can't speak to that- but the classes are great! In fact, my son who is taking Marketing says it's the best course he's taken so far.

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - katelynn - 11-08-2018

(11-08-2018, 05:20 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

I have 2 sons doing classes, and they haven't gotten to the final yet, so I can't speak to that- but the classes are great!  In fact, my son who is taking Marketing says it's the best course he's taken so far.

I started Psych 101 late last night and it's great so far too! Kinda wish I could see my grade as I go along, like how SL and Sophia work.

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - mysonx3 - 11-08-2018

(11-08-2018, 05:29 PM)katelynn Wrote:

I have 2 sons doing classes, and they haven't gotten to the final yet, so I can't speak to that- but the classes are great!  In fact, my son who is taking Marketing says it's the best course he's taken so far.

I started Psych 101 late last night and it's great so far too! Kinda wish I could see my grade as I go along, like how SL and Sophia work.

I made myself a spreadsheet where I put all of my individual quiz grades and calculated my grade as I went along. I can't remember whether or not you can go back and view your quiz grades after you complete them, so if not it might be too late for you to do that for this particular course.

RE: OnlineDegree.com Details? - katelynn - 11-08-2018

(11-08-2018, 06:08 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 05:29 PM)katelynn Wrote:

I made myself a spreadsheet where I put all of my individual quiz grades and calculated my grade as I went along. I can't remember whether or not you can go back and view your quiz grades after you complete them, so if not it might be too late for you to do that for this particular course.

Good idea! I'm a little concerned about my grade now that I've bombed my first quiz. I thought I'd be able to take all my notes on the reading material instead of the videos, so I wasn't paying much attention to the main lecture. Had no idea they didn't cover the same material, and I suffered for it. Hopefully I can bring my grade up.