Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU (/Thread-ACTFL-and-NYU-language-tests-for-TESU)

Pages: 1 2

ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - pws - 11-17-2018

It's possible to get quite a large number of inexpensive credits by testing for a foreign language (see this thread and Jennifer's article).
  • Is it possible to do different tests in two different languages—either for the ACTFL OPI and WPT tests, or the NYU language tests? What about the same test in two languages?
  • Most importantly (I couldn't find this information on their website), are the ATFL and NYU tests available for international students, or only for US residents?

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - bjcheung77 - 11-17-2018

Where are you from? You can take the tests for multiple languages and get credit for them. For example, if you know German and Spanish, you would be able to get a whopping 24 credits each language and have your UL BALS requirements almost complete.

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - vetvso - 11-18-2018

Yes, I used ACTFL and received language credits for TESU and UAF.

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - pws - 11-18-2018

(11-17-2018, 11:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Where are you from? You can take the tests for multiple languages and get credit for them. For example, if you know German and Spanish, you would be able to get a whopping 24 credits each language and have your UL BALS requirements almost complete.

Oh, awesome! If many of my brick-and-mortar credits aren't transferrable TESU, I'll do a second language for sure. Smile

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - dfrecore - 11-18-2018

You can take multiple exams for a single language, but be careful as there may be some duplication (I don't think we've heard what the NYU tests come in as, but I'm guessing that you can do that AND ACTFL). The reading and listening portions of ACTFL duplicate the CLEP exam. I think ACTFL is definitely your best bet - the least expensive, and most credits (and most UL credits). I would do them sooner rather than later, as the ACE recommendation expires 11/30/18. I imagine they are going to continue on, but there's no guarantee.

You can also do more than 1 language. I would spend my time and money on the ACTFL OPIc and WPT first, and then LPT and RPT.

And yes, foreign students can use them to take any language offered that is not English.

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - pws - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 05:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: [...]

Oh, thanks! I will definitely take them before the end of November.

(11-18-2018, 05:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: and most credits (and most UL credits)

For the TESU BA in English, could any of those UL language credits be added to the area of study courses (or that wouldn't be possible and having UL courses in the other categories wouldn't change much)?

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - dfrecore - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 06:04 PM)pws Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 05:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: and most credits (and most UL credits)

For the TESU BA in English, could any of those UL language credits be added to the area of study courses (or that wouldn't be possible and having UL courses in the other categories wouldn't change much)?

You can only get credits for FOREIGN languages this way, not the English Language.  So they won't count in English (think of this as a Literature degree, not a language degree).

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - cookderosa - 11-19-2018

(11-17-2018, 11:00 PM)pws Wrote: It's possible to get quite a large number of inexpensive credits by testing for a foreign language (see this thread and Jennifer's article).
  • Is it possible to do different tests in two different languages—either for the ACTFL OPI and WPT tests, or the NYU language tests? What about the same test in two languages?
  • Most importantly (I couldn't find this information on their website), are the ATFL and NYU tests available for international students, or only for US residents?

Thanks for linking to my page pws, but I wrote that in 2016, so I'm hesitant to tell you that it's still 100% accurate. But, I'm always looking for new info- so if you go forward with your plans, I hope you share your results.

edit: Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - pws - 11-19-2018

(11-19-2018, 10:44 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Thanks for linking to my page pws, but I wrote that in 2016, so I'm hesitant to tell you that it's still 100% accurate.  But, I'm always looking for new info- so if you go forward with your plans, I hope you share your results.

edit:  Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

I've been researching and preparing my degree plan for the past 3 days (now clocking in 37 hours Smile), and asking a bunch of questions from all this research. So grateful for the help on the forum, and eager to give back when I'll be able to! Smile

RE: ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU - vetvso - 11-19-2018

Yes I tested out of ACTFL one full semester with 14 CR it just depends on what you know. English does not count and they can be accepted within multiple schools.

332 Adv. Grammar & Comp. I CR 3.00
333 Adv. Grammar & Comp. II CR 3.00
335 Adv. Comp. & Styl. I CR 4.00
336 Adv. Comp. & Styl. II CR 4.00