Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Transferring credits from brick-and-mortar college - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Transferring credits from brick-and-mortar college (/Thread-Transferring-credits-from-brick-and-mortar-college)

Transferring credits from brick-and-mortar college - pws - 11-19-2018

I'm in the process of having my credits (from a Canadian brick-and-mortar college) evaluated, to then use them for a BA in English at TESU. I'm currently building my degree plan, however, it won't be until maybe 2-3 weeks or so before my credits go through (I'll be starting courses tomorrow or in a few days though). I'm trying to get a general idea of how many will be transferrable, to at least know the time and financial commitment that will be needed.

I have completed the following courses, of which I am fairly certain will be transferable:

Quote:Introduction to Psychology
Music History I and II  (TESU has Music History I & II in their General Courses)
French Writing and Literature
Quantitative Methods for Social Sciences
Advanced Quantitative Methods
Human Biology

I'm not too sure about the philosophy courses:

Quote:Philosophy and Rationality
The Human Individual
Ethics and Politics

Then there are the phys. ed. courses, which I don't think will be transferable:

Quote:Health and Physical Education
Physical Activity
Integration of Physical Activity to Your Daily Life

I doubt these courses will be transferrable:

Quote:French Fiction Literature
Film Analysis
English Culture and Literature
French Oral and Written Communication
Applied English Oral Communication

And finally, a whole bunch of music courses which I'm sure won't be transferrable:

Quote:Music History III and IV
Jazz History I, II, III

How many courses do you think will almost certainly be transferable? What about the philosophy and phys. ed. courses? Will a decent amount be transferrrable, or very few?

RE: Transferring credits from brick-and-mortar college - bjcheung77 - 11-19-2018

You crazy Canuck, which college did you go to? There are a few Canadians on this board... The majority of your courses, if not all, will go into the BALS at TESU just fine. You need to get ECE or WES to do the evaluation and that's it! Wait for the evaluation from TESU to complete and you'll be all there. Did you get a college diploma already in something?

RE: Transferring credits from brick-and-mortar college - davewill - 11-20-2018

I would expect ALL of those to transfer. You may or may not have room for them in your degree, depending on what you choose, but with a BALS, you would probably be able to actually use all of them.

RE: Transferring credits from brick-and-mortar college - dfrecore - 11-20-2018

Yep, those will all transfer.

Now, there may come a point when you have too many courses to fill an area, and there's nowhere left to put them, in which case some would get "bumped" down to the "Other courses" section - but not because TESU won't take them, just because there's nowhere to put them. Here's a good example: you're at a couple of local CC's, taking classes over a 10 year period; changing your major several times between Child Development, Psychology, and English; and letting your enrollment lapse at least once. You end up with 100cr total between 2 CC's. First, you're going to max out on the number of CC credits you can bring in to TESU (80cr). Second, let's say you've settled on a BSBA. Well, now even if you use your CC credits for the GE areas, and Free Electives, you're still only at 66cr. The remaining 34cr are going to be put in "other courses" because there's just nowhere else to put them.