Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
DSST Ethics in Technology - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: CLEP, DSST, and TECEP Exam Discussion. Also Modern States and InstantCert. (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-CLEP-DSST-and-TECEP-Exam-Discussion-Also-Modern-States-and-InstantCert)
+--- Thread: DSST Ethics in Technology (/Thread-DSST-Ethics-in-Technology)

Pages: 1 2

DSST Ethics in Technology - cookderosa - 11-26-2018

Has anyone tried the new DSST Ethics in Technology exam yet? DSST added it to their catalog over the summer. Here is a link to the facts sheet https://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/dsst_fact_sheets/7.30.18_DSST_ETHICS_IN_TECHNOLOGY_2017-2018-Fact_Sheet.pdf

My only cybersecurity exposure was through TEEX, but I could answer a few of the practice test questions on the fact sheet, which makes me wonder if this would be a good follow-up after TEEX. Anyone take this yet?

DSST costs $70 through Nov 30 then back up to $85 https://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/DSST_Promo_Oct.Nov-2018_final.pdf

DSST practice tests on their site are currently free.

EXAM INFORMATION
This exam was developed to enable schools to award
credit to students for knowledge equivalent to that
learned by students taking the course. This
examination covers topics including: Cyberspace and
Privacy, Domestic and International Security, Legal
Issues in Cyberspace, Technological Innovation and
Ethics, Professional Ethics.
The exam contains 100 questions to be answered in 2
hours. Some of these are pretest questions that will
not be scored.

3 cr. LL

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - ROYISAGIRL - 11-26-2018

I wonder would that fulfill the ethics section at TESU

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - Frogsear - 11-27-2018

(11-26-2018, 10:22 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I wonder would that fulfill the ethics section at TESU

According to TESU DSST equivalency page they do.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - ROYISAGIRL - 11-27-2018

(11-27-2018, 11:48 AM)Frogsear Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 10:22 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I wonder would that fulfill the ethics section at TESU

That's good. That'll help anyone who needs that spot filled.

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - BobaFett2010 - 11-29-2018

I took this exam. I did not study for this at all since I didn't need it and I felt comfortable just taking it. what can I say about the exam? This exam had A LOT to do with privacy. A couple of constitutional amendment questions. There were some questions about HIPAA, GDPR, and lots about Net Neutrality. If you are very informed about everyday technological privacy and civil liberties/rights in technology, then you should be able to take this exam with 0 studying. A lot of the questions are common sense, but then a lot of them require some insight into the subject. You do have to know a little bit about technology. The test, overall, was very easy. I believe I completed it in less than 50 minutes. It was that easy.

(11-27-2018, 11:54 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

I attend Excelsior College. I must have been the first one to take the exam since they had to do a review of the exam in order to apply it towards a class. I was assuming since the word "Ethics" was in the name that the exam would naturally apply towards an ethics credit, but they said that the exam contents do not cover the required areas for them to apply it towards an Ethics course. If you get it counted, then I am jealous, but I do see that Excelsior is coming from. It doesn't cover core fundamentals of ethics.

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - ROYISAGIRL - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 11:28 AM)BobaFett2010 Wrote: I took this exam. I did not study for this at all since I didn't need it and I felt comfortable just taking it. what can I say about the exam? This exam had A LOT to do with privacy. A couple of constitutional amendment questions. There were some questions about HIPAA, GDPR, and lots about Net Neutrality. If you are very informed about everyday technological privacy and civil liberties/rights in technology, then you should be able to take this exam with 0 studying. A lot of the questions are common sense, but then a lot of them require some insight into the subject. You do have to know a little bit about technology. The test, overall, was very easy. I believe I completed it in less than 50 minutes. It was that easy.

I attend Excelsior College. I must have been the first one to take the exam since they had to do a review of the exam in order to apply it towards a class. I was assuming since the word "Ethics" was in the name that the exam would naturally apply towards an ethics credit, but they said that the exam contents do not cover the required areas for them to apply it towards an Ethics course. If you get it counted, then I am jealous, but I do see that Excelsior is coming from. It doesn't cover core fundamentals of ethics.
That's good to know that excelsior will take but will put it as something else. I think from how you explain it I'll have my husband take it and see where COSC will place it since he's dead set on going there. And from the PP above we know that TESU will take it and put it in Ethics we've already got something going for people attend all of the Big 3. I wonder how WGU would take it?

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - cookderosa - 12-02-2018

(11-29-2018, 11:38 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 11:28 AM)BobaFett2010 Wrote: I took this exam. I did not study for this at all since I didn't need it and I felt comfortable just taking it. what can I say about the exam? This exam had A LOT to do with privacy. A couple of constitutional amendment questions. There were some questions about HIPAA, GDPR, and lots about Net Neutrality. If you are very informed about everyday technological privacy and civil liberties/rights in technology, then you should be able to take this exam with 0 studying. A lot of the questions are common sense, but then a lot of them require some insight into the subject. You do have to know a little bit about technology. The test, overall, was very easy. I believe I completed it in less than 50 minutes. It was that easy.

That's good to know that excelsior will take but will put it as something else. I think from how you explain it I'll have my husband take it and see where COSC will place it since he's dead set on going there. And from the PP above we know that TESU will take it and put it in Ethics we've already got something going for people attend all of the Big 3. I wonder how WGU would take it?

Roy, if he takes it and sends it to COSC, let me know. I'm thinking of this for my son - maybe not until next year, but I'm still curious to see.

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - ROYISAGIRL - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 11:11 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

(11-27-2018, 11:48 AM)Frogsear Wrote: According to TESU DSST equivalency page they do.

Roy, if he takes it and sends it to COSC, let me know. I'm thinking of this for my son - maybe not until next year, but I'm still curious to see.
Ok we're trying to get it scheduled some time this month

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - cookderosa - 12-11-2019

(12-02-2018, 11:35 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 11:11 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

(11-27-2018, 11:54 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: That's good. That'll help anyone who needs that spot filled.

That's good to know that excelsior will take but will put it as something else. I think from how you explain it I'll have my husband take it  and see where COSC will place it since he's dead set on going there.  And from the PP above we know that TESU will take it and put it in Ethics we've already got something going for people attend all of the Big 3. I wonder how WGU would take it?

Roy, if he takes it and sends it to COSC, let me know.  I'm thinking of this for my son - maybe not until next year, but I'm still curious to see.
Ok we're trying to get it scheduled some time this month

Roy, do you have any feedback for this exam? I checked our Specific Exam Feedback folder for this, it's pretty anemic ( 1 user reporting) but thinking about this one for Christmas break.

RE: DSST Ethics in Technology - Elitis - 12-12-2019

Not Roy but I took the exam a few months ago and passed without studying for it. However, that is not to say its a easy exam. I've been involved in IT for a few years now, and some questions still stumped me. There are definitely some common sense questions, but if you're looking at taking this one do some studying up on cyber security terminology, common laws and policies, and maybe business ethics and you should be fine.