Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program (/Thread-Walden-University-Competency-Based-MBA-Program)

Pages: 1 2

Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - allvia - 11-28-2018

Looking for information and feedback on Walden University's Competency Based - Master of Business Administration (MBA).  I'm interested in Project Management; however, feedback welcome on the Healthcare Management track - since the majority of courses are the same.

RE: Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - Ideas - 11-28-2018

I believe WGU's MBA in Healthcare Management is cheaper, and they have a better reputation.

RE: Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - bjcheung77 - 11-28-2018

I agree and I recommend the WGU option for the same reasons. I usually don't recommend the three following for profits unless it's a hard to get Doctorates/PHD - Capella, Phoenix, Walden.

RE: Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - allvia - 11-28-2018

As I mentioned I'd be looking at the Project Management path (which WGU doesn't offer), as I'm going to be working towards my PMP. 

I'm not a fan of their for-profit status, and it makes me wonder just what the minimum time is that it can be completed - even as a competency based program.  If it could be done in 9 months (3 terms) it would be pretty close to the cost of WGU for two 6 month term; I don't see myself managing to get through WGU in 6 months (day job work load won't allow for it I suspect).  Both schools are RA and ACBSP accredited.

This is what happens once you get word from TESU that you are confirmed for graduation of your bachelor degree next month.  You need to research and gather all the information you can on the next step to take....

RE: Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - sanantone - 11-28-2018

I have no experiences to share, but Capella does have a FlexPath MBA in Project Management.

Oh, and Purdue Global offers an ExcelTrack MBA with a concentration in Project Management. They require the equivalent of 40 semester hours (they're on the quarter system), but at least they're no longer the for-profit Kaplan University.

RE: Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - bjcheung77 - 11-28-2018

bjcheung77 Wrote:I agree and I recommend the WGU option for the same reasons. I usually don't recommend the three following for profits unless it's a hard to get Doctorates/PHD - Capella, Phoenix, Walden.

One you might also want to take a look at is the Purdue Global as it has a few concentrations - Finance, Health Care, HR, IT, Marketing and Project Management. The only difference is that the 16 credits make up the concentration, the program requirements are the same - Here's the link: https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/graduate/business-information-technology/mba/

(11-28-2018, 12:58 PM)sanantone Wrote: I have no experiences to share, but Capella does have a FlexPath MBA in Project Management.

Oh, and Purdue Global offers an ExcelTrack MBA with a concentration in Project Management. They require the equivalent of 40 semester hours (they're on the quarter system), but at least they're no longer the for-profit Kaplan University.

You might want to contact them and verify that concentrations are available for the ExcelTrack.

RE: Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - allvia - 11-28-2018

(11-28-2018, 12:58 PM)sanantone Wrote: I have no experiences to share, but Capella does have a FlexPath MBA in Project Management.

Capella is for-profit as well, and isn't ACBSP accredited.

(11-28-2018, 01:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:I agree and I recommend the WGU option for the same reasons.  I usually don't recommend the three following for profits unless it's a hard to get Doctorates/PHD - Capella, Phoenix, Walden.

One you might also want to take a look at is the Purdue Global as it has a few concentrations - Finance, Health Care, HR, IT, Marketing and Project Management.  The only difference is that the 16 credits make up the concentration, the program requirements are the same - Here's the link: https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/graduate/business-information-technology/mba/

I just looked at the Purdue-Global and the ExcelTrack is the general MBA only - I'd go WGU for certian if I was going to go that route.

Thank you both.

RE: Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program - alexf.1990 - 11-28-2018

(11-28-2018, 12:52 PM)allvia Wrote: As I mentioned I'd be looking at the Project Management path (which WGU doesn't offer), as I'm going to be working towards my PMP. 
Just curious, but why wouldn't you get a regular MBA and then just study for your PMP on the side?

(11-28-2018, 01:25 PM)allvia Wrote:

Capella is for-profit as well, and isn't ACBSP accredited.

(11-28-2018, 01:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:I agree and I recommend the WGU option for the same reasons.  I usually don't recommend the three following for profits unless it's a hard to get Doctorates/PHD - Capella, Phoenix, Walden.

One you might also want to take a look at is the Purdue Global as it has a few concentrations - Finance, Health Care, HR, IT, Marketing and Project Management.  The only difference is that the 16 credits make up the concentration, the program requirements are the same - Here's the link: https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/graduate/business-information-technology/mba/

I just looked at the Purdue-Global and the ExcelTrack is the general MBA only - I'd go WGU for certian if I was going to go that route.

Thank you both.

Yes, I know it's for-profit, but it's another similar program to compare. Capella is accredited by ACBSP as well as the Project Management Institute. PMI doesn't accredit the Flexpath option, though.

https://www.capella.edu/capella-experience/why-choose-capella-university/university-accreditation/