Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
First Term Free at Walden! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: First Term Free at Walden! (/Thread-First-Term-Free-at-Walden)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - SweetSecret - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 08:56 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: It's very popular?  Yeah, free graduate school should be very popular.  As far as I can tell, if you aren't starting on 12/3 then you are not getting it until they post it again.

Actually, 12/7 according to Justin in enrollment for the competency-based program. So people have a few more days to think about it.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - GoodYellowDogs - 12-02-2018

Thought about it for the weekend - I'm doing it - MHA.  I think it will be more doable for me than the MBA.  However, I will get a MBA (maybe from the Univ of the People) next year after I finish the MHA.

I feel like I'm a sucker for low tuition.  even if it take me 9 months, I'll have done it for about $4500.  

Then only thing I still have to ask about is the cost of textbooks.  I have visions of that being $1500 up front and, if so, I'm out.

I have an enrollment appointment on Monday afternoon.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - GoodYellowDogs - 12-03-2018

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cbe2.1170

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - sanantone - 12-03-2018

(12-02-2018, 02:48 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 01:59 AM)sanantone Wrote: My guess is that a non-credit certificate should be pretty cheap. I'm not sure that a social entrepreneurship concentration will make her more competitive for any position. One can get the knowledge and have something to put on the continuing education section of one's resume with a non-credit program.
This certificate program from Oxford is only about $344. 
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/social-entrepreneurship-online

Yes, but I know for sure that I want to specifically do social entrepreneurship consulting, and I am suspecting graduate degree in that might simply keep me competitive if I am going up against other prospective consultants who have a masters in social entrepreneurship. The Oxford certificate might be interesting, I would need to check into that more... obviously they are well known with a great reputation.

Even with the MBA at Walden I was going to ask them if I could substitute out the basic social entrepreneurship course (and possibly grant writing) for something a little more advanced. I have already taken the following certified MOOCs:
  • Social Entrepreneurship | University of Pennsylvania - coursera
  • Business Strategies for Social Impact | University of Pennsylvania - coursera
  • New Venture Finance: Startup Funding for Entrepreneurs | University of Maryland, College Park - coursera
  • Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies | HarvardX - edX
The first one on Social Entrepreneurship through the University of Pennsylvania was the most in-depth. I really wanted to do the MS Social Entrepreneurship through USC (the price makes me want to choke though) and some of the classes that were drawing me to it were "Investing in Impact Ventures" and "Cases in Feasibility Analysis". I'd rather take classes more along those lines if Walden has any. I am digging through the full catalog now to see what is offered.

Sanantone, how are you liking the MBA format so far? Have you actually started into the work?

How many people have degrees in social entrepreneurship? I bet, if you looked at the LinkedIn profiles of individuals in this field, you won't see many with this degree or concentration. 

I haven't been able to enroll in any of the courses yet. I already know I'm going to hate the format. I'm sick of writing long papers. Thankfully, science programs don't require a bunch of long papers, so I've been happy at UF.

(12-02-2018, 06:40 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: The first course in the sequence appears to be for zero credit.  Does anyone know if you can just jump around and choose your courses or must you go with whatever they provide you in their order?

Since I have a BSBA from an RA school, the first course has been waived for me.

(12-02-2018, 06:09 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: Is Walden setting people up with emails on Gmail? I am seriously maxed out on storage space everywhere. I was actually thinking I might need to sign up for another cloud drive today and move things around just to make some space. If they are doing Email with Gmail accounts though that could be great! Or I could just sign up for another Gmail on my own... not like I don't already have four accounts already so what's the difference between a fifth.

I think they're using Outlook.

(12-02-2018, 08:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For me, I'm waiting for that "other time" when they get their kinks worked out...  I think they'll have a special next year around the same time, I think they'll have scholarships every now and then...  Hopefully, when I sign up then, they won't have any hiccups... I reread their reviews and the main ones that caught my eye were the 2 stars or below.  

Link: https://www.gradreports.com/colleges/walden-university/doctoral/psychology?pid=12000&lvl=16&page=1

2 out of 5
miffed1 - December 20, 2015
Degree: Health/Medical Psychology
Graduation Year: 2018

WAs offered first term free scholarship, started the program and three weeks in I was thrown to collections for the $5700 unpaid tuition. My advisor and the collections department within student financial services both acknowledge the offer, but state they cannot figure out who pays it or how, or even when. The scholarship has disappeared.

You can check your charges immediately. I'm making sure mine are cleared the first week. My enrollment advisor had me send an email requesting the first term free, and she's forwarding it to the bursar's office. So, I have documentation. 

Since that review is from 2015, the kinks should have been worked out by now.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - videogamesrock - 12-03-2018

Are they on the quarter system? I just saw their undergrad bsba is.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - allvia - 12-03-2018

(12-02-2018, 06:09 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: Is Walden setting people up with emails on Gmail? I am seriously maxed out on storage space everywhere. I was actually thinking I might need to sign up for another cloud drive today and move things around just to make some space. If they are doing Email with Gmail accounts though that could be great! Or I could just sign up for another Gmail on my own... not like I don't already have four accounts already so what's the difference between a fifth.

I just received my Walden email / portal information.  They are using the Microsoft cloud platform (Office 365 is free for college students, so the cloud is included).  I've only spent a few minutes logged in but the Student Portal interface is well laid out, even giving you a tutorial option the first time you login. 

(12-02-2018, 07:49 PM)Ideas Wrote: I'm having second thoughts about doing this. (Walden, maybe you should speed up the process for some students. If I were already enrolled, I would feel worse about withdrawing.)

I'm having trouble deciding between just doing it, since it might not be offered again, or waiting. If I wait, they might offer the same deal with more choices, and it might be better timing in my life. Now isn't bad on timing, but not good.

Speed up the process? If anything it is too quick - we all just found out about this 5 days ago (2 business days) - and people are feeling the pressure to sign up before it expires (technically today, but it sounds like you can possibly apply and enroll for the current 12/03/18 term up to 12/07/18 based on SweetSecret's post).

I do believe that you have nothing to lose, however if jumping into a master degree program does not fit your life now then maybe you should pass.  The truth is for this to be a success you're going to have to commit to the time it will take. I also don't recommend it for anyone who is not willing/able to commit to at least one paid term.  Completing a masters program in 90 days is unlikely, even at WGU those who do are the outliers not the norm (many who complete it quick in one term are far closer to the 6 month mark not the 90 days). So if you feel you're not in a place to commit then this may not be the time for you.  I do realize how tough it can be to pass up "free" education - especially here for us forum members - but take a moment to be true to yourself and where you are now; is this the right time for you?

For me I'm all in - jumping in eyes wide open (likely no personal life for at least  6 months! yay, lol) . I think we're going to have a good mixed group of forum members here to not only support each other, but to share our experiences with others.

(12-02-2018, 06:40 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: The first course in the sequence appears to be for zero credit.  Does anyone know if you can just jump around and choose your courses or must you go with whatever they provide you in their order?

They gave me credit for the first course - I'm assuming due to having a BSBA.  The documentation I receive indicates that there is no set order; you work with your Academic Coach to build a plan (although I suspect the Capstone scheduling is not as flexible in scheduling, meaning you couldn't just do that first).  I will hopefully set up that call for later today, and post back.

(12-02-2018, 11:18 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Thought about it for the weekend - I'm doing it - MHA.  I think it will be more doable for me than the MBA.  However, I will get a MBA (maybe from the Univ of the People) next year after I finish the MHA.

I feel like I'm a sucker for low tuition.  even if it take me 9 months, I'll have done it for about $4500.  

Then only thing I still have to ask about is the cost of textbooks.  I have visions of that being $1500 up front and, if so, I'm out.

I have an enrollment appointment on Monday afternoon.

I'm doing the MBA but I've been researching this all weekend, and I've found that Walden supplies all the course materials. I suspect that is true of all the competency-based programs; do share if you find out it is otherwise.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - Ideas - 12-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 04:00 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: Are they on the quarter system?  I just saw their undergrad bsba is.

It seems that some programs are quarter and some are semester.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - sanantone - 12-03-2018

It appears they provide all the materials for the MBA, which is typical for competency-based programs. I added the competencies I wanted to my plan. I added everything that is selected-response (multiple choice) and short answer. I'll tackle the other types of assessments later because they'll take longer.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - Ideas - 12-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 08:37 AM)allvia Wrote: I do believe that you have nothing to lose, however if jumping into a master degree program does not fit your life now then maybe you should pass.  The truth is for this to be a success you're going to have to commit to the time it will take. I also don't recommend it for anyone who is not willing/able to commit to at least one paid term.  Completing a masters program in 90 days is unlikely, even at WGU those who do are the outliers not the norm (many who complete it quick in one term are far closer to the 6 month mark not the 90 days). So if you feel you're not in a place to commit then this may not be the time for you.  I do realize how tough it can be to pass up "free" education - especially here for us forum members - but take a moment to be true to yourself and where you are now; is this the right time for you?

I think I have a good idea of what a Walden competency program would be like for me.

Edit: I'm still considering.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - allvia - 12-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 09:50 AM)sanantone Wrote: It appears they provide all the materials for the MBA, which is typical for competency-based programs. I added the competencies I wanted to my plan. I added everything that is selected-response (multiple choice) and short answer. I'll tackle the other types of assessments later because they'll take longer.

My plan is pretty similar - but I've run into my first snafu. I did receive my email information to login this morning, but did not get the options the documentation sent to me indicated that I would, so I replied back to the email from my Academic Advisor informing her that what she said I would see and happen did not.  Took her 10 minutes to respond, asked if I could send her a screen shot - I did, and she replied right back saying that I had been somehow set up with the 'portal for course based students'; she will escalate it and get back to me.  Snafu yes, response time - excellent so far. Note that is this is was all done during their listed business hours.