Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
First Term Free at Walden! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: First Term Free at Walden! (/Thread-First-Term-Free-at-Walden)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - videogamesrock - 12-07-2018

Does anyone know if these courses are graded?

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - jsd - 12-07-2018

SweetSecret said earlier in thread (#58) that they were graded, not P/F

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - SweetSecret - 12-07-2018

Yes, the courses are graded & graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA or risk academic dismissal.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - allvia - 12-07-2018

(12-07-2018, 09:15 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: Yes, the courses are graded & graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA or risk academic dismissal.

As it was explained to me:
You are graded on a 3 point system  (based on the rubric - all course sections have this point system).
There are limits on the amount of attempts to get to the B or better - run out of attempts, and this is where you end up at risk.

0 = Not Present (complete Fail - try again until you reach 2 or greater)
1 = Needs Improvement (<B, not a pass, no grade assigned - try again until you reach 2 or greater)
2 = Meets Expectations (B, a Pass with a 3.0)
3 = Exceeds Expectations (A, a Pass with a  4.0)

So unlike WGU where everyone who gets a Pass gets a "B" (3.0) Walden will have some A's (4.0)

"C's get degrees" does not apply to competency-based programs, its a "B or Better" world.  Smile

(12-07-2018, 10:52 AM)allvia Wrote: unlike WGU where everyone who gets a Pass gets a "B" (3.0)

You don't get B's or a 3.0 at WGU. You only get a "PASS." The WGU transcript says that while a "PASS" is at least equivalent to a B/3.0, they do not calculate a GPA or give a grade.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - GoodYellowDogs - 12-07-2018

I got my revised billing today and it shows a zero balance for the first term.  It took them 24 hours to correct it. 

I am impressed with the TAT when I have an issue, not matter what department I've worked with.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - allvia - 12-07-2018

(12-07-2018, 11:15 AM)jsd Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 10:52 AM)allvia Wrote: unlike WGU where everyone who gets a Pass gets a "B" (3.0)

You don't get B's or a 3.0 at WGU. You only get a "PASS." The WGU transcript says that while a "PASS" is at least equivalent to a B/3.0, they do not calculate a GPA or give a grade.

I had heard/read everyone just had a 3.0 at WGU when they graduated; some were concerned of this being a factor for grad school. Thank you for clarifying this is not the case.

You're welcome! it's a common misconception because WGU's wording on it is pretty confusing. But I've attached a short note from the back of my WGU Transcript, the final line on the topic is that they don't calculate a GPA.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - davewill - 12-07-2018

Here's the deal. WGU doesn't give grades or calculate a GPA. Their "guidance" to schools or employers looking for a GPA is that they should consider a PASS equivalent to a 3.0. It's up to the school or employer in question whether they decide to do so.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - GoodYellowDogs - 12-07-2018

(12-07-2018, 10:52 AM)allvia Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 09:15 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: Yes, the courses are graded & graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA or risk academic dismissal.

As it was explained to me:
You are graded on a 3 point system  (based on the rubric - all course sections have this point system).
There are limits on the amount of attempts to get to the B or better - run out of attempts, and this is where you end up at risk.

0 = Not Present (complete Fail - try again until you reach 2 or greater)
1 = Needs Improvement (<B, not a pass, no grade assigned - try again until you reach 2 or greater)
2 = Meets Expectations (B, a Pass with a 3.0)
3 = Exceeds Expectations (A, a Pass with a  4.0)

So unlike WGU where everyone who gets a Pass gets a "B" (3.0) Walden will have some A's (4.0)

"C's get degrees" does not apply to competency-based programs, its a "B or Better" world.  Smile

Yes, Cs get degrees has always be an undergrad thing Big Grin