Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
First Term Free at Walden! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: First Term Free at Walden! (/Thread-First-Term-Free-at-Walden)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - sanantone - 12-10-2018

I've decided that I'm going to tackle the selected-response and short answer competencies first. My coach, however, did warn me that, if I have to switch to course-based, I can't transfer courses if all of the competencies haven't been completed. I'll risk it.

After that, I plan to work on the performance tasks. The work products require the most work, and the papers, generally, have to be single-spaced. I don't think I've ever had to write single-spaced papers. They're harder for instructors to read, and APA formatting calls for double-spaced papers. It makes no sense to require APA formatting, but ask students to break the rules of the style.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - SweetSecret - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 04:07 AM)sanantone Wrote: The work products require the most work, and the papers, generally, have to be single-spaced. I don't think I've ever had to write single-spaced papers. They're harder for instructors to read, and APA formatting calls for double-spaced papers. It makes no sense to require APA formatting, but ask students to break the rules of the style.

That's interesting! I specifically asked my advisor about this and was told double-spaced papers. Does it say single spaced in the instructions, or did someone tell you single-spaced?

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - ThatBankDude - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 04:07 AM)sanantone Wrote: I've decided that I'm going to tackle the selected-response and short answer competencies first. My coach, however, did warn me that, if I have to switch to course-based, I can't transfer courses if all of the competencies haven't been completed. I'll risk it.

After that, I plan to work on the performance tasks. The work products require the most work, and the papers, generally, have to be single-spaced. I don't think I've ever had to write single-spaced papers. They're harder for instructors to read, and APA formatting calls for double-spaced papers. It makes no sense to require APA formatting, but ask students to break the rules of the style.

That is very interesting. I have never seen a professor ask for APA style and ask for the paper to be done single-spaced. ?

(12-10-2018, 08:38 AM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 04:07 AM)sanantone Wrote: The work products require the most work, and the papers, generally, have to be single-spaced. I don't think I've ever had to write single-spaced papers. They're harder for instructors to read, and APA formatting calls for double-spaced papers. It makes no sense to require APA formatting, but ask students to break the rules of the style.

That's interesting! I specifically asked my advisor about this and was told double-spaced papers. Does it say single spaced in the instructions, or did someone tell you single-spaced?

The instructions for most of the work products say single-spaced.

My coach told me to ask the SME. Considering that there could be a different SME for each course, I wonder if I have to ask each one.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - ThatBankDude - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 09:53 AM)sanantone Wrote:

My coach told me to ask the SME. Considering that there could be a different SME for each course, I wonder if I have to ask each one.

Sanantone, are you pursuing your masters and PhD?

(12-10-2018, 12:59 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 09:53 AM)sanantone Wrote:

Sanantone, are you pursuing your masters and PhD?

Two master's and a PhD now. Yes, I know that's insane.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - SweetSecret - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 09:53 AM)sanantone Wrote: The instructions for most of the work products say single-spaced.

Let us know what you find out! I am still doing the foundations. The documents they gave us for statistics are ridiculously long. I think I may just take the exam & see how I do. I have already spent way too long on statistics.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - allvia - 12-28-2018

Looks like they have carried the first term free offer into Jan start date (my program: https://www.waldenu.edu/online-masters-programs/master-of-business-administration-competency-based). Had I know that I would have waited, December has been tough with the holidays to be as productive as I hoped with schooling (although I am now starting to pick up speed) - not the programs fault, so far I have no complaints about Walden or the program.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - eriehiker - 12-28-2018

I am the same way, allvia. I have finished one .25 credit competency and everything except the assessments in three other competencies. Of course, the Harvard courses I am taking will start in late Jan., so it would have gotten me on the back end anyway. Free is free, though. Smile

Also, I did check to see if my first competency was listed on my unofficial transcript and it is there, so it is all working as predicted so far.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - SweetSecret - 12-28-2018

(12-28-2018, 12:17 PM)allvia Wrote: Looks like they have carried the first term free offer into Jan start date (my program: https://www.waldenu.edu/online-masters-programs/master-of-business-administration-competency-based).  Had I know that I would have waited, December has been tough with the holidays to be as productive as I hoped with schooling (although I am now starting to pick up speed) - not the programs fault, so far I have no complaints about Walden or the program.

I am not so sure about that. It's no longer listed on the Limited-time Savings page and the program page still says "start this program on December 3rd". Maybe someone just failed to update the page. If not though, I know a few more people who might be interested.