Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
First Term Free at Walden! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: First Term Free at Walden! (/Thread-First-Term-Free-at-Walden)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

First Term Free at Walden! - ThatBankDude - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 12:56 AM)SweetSecret Wrote:
Quote:bjcheung77 Wrote: 

Nah, for me, if I get a double concentration, it'll be something like this:
Bryan Cheung, MBA Healthcare & Project Management

This, exactly! 

Yes, it's simply a double concentration and the reason someone would do this is because in some cases it is actually cheaper. For example, most of these social entrepreneurship graduate certificates are at least $15k. However, if I do the competency based MBA then I only need three more classes to get the social entrepreneurship & innovation MBA, which is 9 credits at a current tuition rate of $955/cr plus $200/semester technology fee comes to $8,795... which isn't even half the price of most of the graduate certificates in this field.

I have learned over the years that the support of people here on DegreeForum makes a huge difference in my success, especially because there are a number of you whose opinions I have really come to trust... especially you, Sanatone - so come Monday I am following your lead and signing up for the MBA in healthcare administration!

I am pretty excited... this feels like a holiday gift to myself!

Those 9 credits are about $2,500 less than I have paid for my entire 36 credit hour MBA degree at an AACSB-Accredited university. I am not knocking the double concentration thing but there is certainly a cheaper option for you, right?

East Central University
Bachelors of Science - 2015
Biology

Southeastern Oklahoma State University
AACSB-Accredited
Masters of Business Administration - 2019
Management

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - sanantone - 12-02-2018

(12-01-2018, 08:17 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Just signed up, although I do not like business courses at all - I can't turn down a free lunch and I should be able to transfer them out to my eventual home institution.

After earning my BSBA, I told myself that I would never study business again because it's so dry, but here I am. 

If it takes me six months, I'll just pay the $2,250 out of pocket for the second term. That's still a dirt cheap MBA.

(12-02-2018, 01:04 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 12:56 AM)SweetSecret Wrote:
Quote:bjcheung77 Wrote: 

Nah, for me, if I get a double concentration, it'll be something like this:
Bryan Cheung, MBA Healthcare & Project Management

This, exactly! 

Yes, it's simply a double concentration and the reason someone would do this is because in some cases it is actually cheaper. For example, most of these social entrepreneurship graduate certificates are at least $15k. However, if I do the competency based MBA then I only need three more classes to get the social entrepreneurship & innovation MBA, which is 9 credits at a current tuition rate of $955/cr plus $200/semester technology fee comes to $8,795... which isn't even half the price of most of the graduate certificates in this field.

I have learned over the years that the support of people here on DegreeForum makes a huge difference in my success, especially because there are a number of you whose opinions I have really come to trust... especially you, Sanatone - so come Monday I am following your lead and signing up for the MBA in healthcare administration!

I am pretty excited... this feels like a holiday gift to myself!

Those 9 credits are about $2,500 less than I have paid for my entire 36 credit hour MBA degree at an AACSB-Accredited university. I am not knocking the double concentration thing but there is certainly a cheaper option for you, right?

East Central University
Bachelors of Science - 2015
Biology

Southeastern Oklahoma State University
AACSB-Accredited
Masters of Business Administration - 2019
Management

My guess is that a non-credit certificate should be pretty cheap. I'm not sure that a social entrepreneurship concentration will make her more competitive for any position. One can get the knowledge and have something to put on the continuing education section of one's resume with a non-credit program. 

This certificate program from Oxford is only about $344. 
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/social-entrepreneurship-online

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - Ideas - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 12:56 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: For example, most of these social entrepreneurship graduate certificates are at least $15k. However, if I do the competency based MBA then I only need three more classes to get the social entrepreneurship & innovation MBA, which is 9 credits at a current tuition rate of $955/cr plus $200/semester technology fee comes to $8,795... which isn't even half the price of most of the graduate certificates in this field.

To clarify for anyone who hasn't seen the previous posts, this is about getting an MBA with a different concentration, not the Project Mgmt or Healthcare Mgmt.

I'm interested in this, but I'm not sure if this costs $12K or not? I think the capstone makes a big difference in the time and cost. Because I guess they won't allow me to complete the capstone when I have uncompleted courses left. Are you assuming you could?

Ideal scenario (?): 

In my first free term, I complete everything except the 9 credits and the capstone, or close to it. (I have prior knowledge.) 

Next, take 9 credits in a term (not competency, so much slower) for $8795. If they would allow 9 graduate credits at once. I see that they run some of their programs on a quarter basis and others on a semester term. (Personally I'd also have to wait for my my other school's term to end.)

Finally, taking the capstone the following term. Capstone would be over $3000 by itself in the term, right? Once the tech fee is added. This is a lot!

Edit: I asked earlier if we need to take courses in a certain order, and I was told no. But I'm not sure how they treat the capstone. I know at WGU they won't let you begin the capstone if you are near the end of the term.

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - SweetSecret - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 09:47 AM)Ideas Wrote: To clarify for anyone who hasn't seen the previous posts, this is about getting an MBA with a different concentration, not the Project Mgmt or Healthcare Mgmt.

I'm interested in this, but I'm not sure if this costs $12K or not? I think the capstone makes a big difference in the time and cost. Because I guess they won't allow me to complete the capstone when I have uncompleted courses left. Are you assuming you could?

Ideal scenario (?): 

In my first free term, I complete everything except the 9 credits and the capstone, or close to it. (I have prior knowledge.) 

Next, take 9 credits in a term (not competency, so much slower) for $8795. If they would allow 9 graduate credits at once. I see that they run some of their programs on a quarter basis and others on a semester term. (Personally I'd also have to wait for my my other school's term to end.)

Finally, taking the capstone the following term. Capstone would be over $3000 by itself in the term, right? Once the tech fee is added. This is a lot!

Edit: I asked earlier if we need to take courses in a certain order, and I was told no. But I'm not sure how they treat the capstone. I know at WGU they won't let you begin the capstone if you are near the end of the term.

Initially I ran this by Justin, the enrollment advisor, with the scenario of doing the main healthcare management then switching to the social entrepreneurship under the regular track. The trick he told me is that once you switch to a regular learning track Walden won't let you switch back to competency-based. 

So then I ran the scenario passed Justin to see if I could totally complete the MBA Healthcare Management then switch over and do the social entrepreneurship too. He said "Yes" and that it would only require 3-4 additional classes depending on if I would need another capstone course... which he would let me know about this coming week. That is when I went to check the capstone course codes and saw that they were the exact same for both the healthcare management and social entrepreneurship tracks. I can't see them forcing students to repeat the exact same class they have already taken at that school.

I think the trick though would be to take the capstone while still on the competency based MBA track because it will make a huge difference to the price. If you complete the competency based track and then just add the 3 social entrepreneurship courses it looks like the additional cost will be $8,795, whereas if a person starts on the healthcare administration track including the concentration courses and then switches to the traditional course-based social entrepreneurship track where they finish the capstone the cost would be $11,660. Again, Justin hasn't confirmed that a person can take the capstone in the competency based without having to repeat it in the course-based track, but I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't be able to nor why Walden would make someone repeat a course they have recently taken through Walden. I did the honest thing and asked about this though, so if I don't get an answer I am just going to forge ahead completing the capstone in the competency-based track and then add on the social entrepreneurship concentration and plead my case if Walden balks at me. I am usually good at making a solid case.

(12-01-2018, 06:47 PM)Ideas Wrote: I'm likely to switch to an MBA if that's true. Is it confirmed that you can get two different MBAs from them. 

They still don't have me enrolled, and it's been 48 hours.

Given how much I talked to Justin, the enrollment advisor, about doing both the healthcare administration and the social entrepreneurship tracks together, I think he would have told me if it weren't a possibility.

Oh, I see, so you'll do a second competency term before you do the 3 social entrepreneurship classes. That does seem good for you. I should probably go elsewhere so it can be done quicker.

(12-02-2018, 12:26 PM)Ideas Wrote: Oh, I see, so you'll do a second competency term before you do the 3 social entrepreneurship classes. That does seem good for you. I should probably go elsewhere so it can be done quicker.

Maybe, but not necessarily. If I can get the whole MBA Healthcare Management done in 1 term I will, and even if I have to pay for a second term or possibly 3rd term to be able to do the second concentration it's still cheaper than WGU. I'm not so worried about time, so long as I am not working on the MBA & JD classes during the same semesters. I could get the main MBA done & do the social entrepreneurship MBA too before starting the JD, or do the 3 social entrepreneurship courses after the JD... although Justin warned me that waiting so long could mean the classes/concentrations/tuition could all change within the 3 years.

How fast do you want to complete the MBA? I think the biggest point to that will be how soon & how fast the college allows you to finish the capstone. I asked Walden about that with the capstone but Justin didn't have an answer. The advisor at WGU said the Capstone takes a minimum of two months, and of course you have to finish all of your other coursework prior.

Oh. You know, I was getting you confused with another person here. In regards to time or speed.

I really doubt that Walden will allow someone to start the capstone near the end of their first term, but it would be nice.

I don't need it fast. I would be fine with 3-6 months (competency terms) then a regular slow term, but that would be the slowest I would do. But, it doesn't seem to make sense for me, due to cost.

(12-02-2018, 01:59 AM)sanantone Wrote: My guess is that a non-credit certificate should be pretty cheap. I'm not sure that a social entrepreneurship concentration will make her more competitive for any position. One can get the knowledge and have something to put on the continuing education section of one's resume with a non-credit program.
This certificate program from Oxford is only about $344. 
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/social-entrepreneurship-online

Yes, but I know for sure that I want to specifically do social entrepreneurship consulting, and I am suspecting graduate degree in that might simply keep me competitive if I am going up against other prospective consultants who have a masters in social entrepreneurship. The Oxford certificate might be interesting, I would need to check into that more... obviously they are well known with a great reputation.

Even with the MBA at Walden I was going to ask them if I could substitute out the basic social entrepreneurship course (and possibly grant writing) for something a little more advanced. I have already taken the following certified MOOCs:
  • Social Entrepreneurship | University of Pennsylvania - coursera
  • Business Strategies for Social Impact | University of Pennsylvania - coursera
  • New Venture Finance: Startup Funding for Entrepreneurs | University of Maryland, College Park - coursera
  • Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies | HarvardX - edX
The first one on Social Entrepreneurship through the University of Pennsylvania was the most in-depth. I really wanted to do the MS Social Entrepreneurship through USC (the price makes me want to choke though) and some of the classes that were drawing me to it were "Investing in Impact Ventures" and "Cases in Feasibility Analysis". I'd rather take classes more along those lines if Walden has any. I am digging through the full catalog now to see what is offered.

Sanantone, how are you liking the MBA format so far? Have you actually started into the work?

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - videogamesrock - 12-02-2018

They are working very diligently on a Sunday--very impressive!

RE: First Term Free at Walden! - allvia - 12-02-2018

I won't get my student portal log-in until tomorrow, but I did get some emails from my Academic Coach (vs my Enrollment Advisor, who handled the application/admission) telling me what the next steps will be and how to set up the initial 'Intro Call'; where I (we) set up my course plan.  I will say that so far the contact and detailed information has been good.  I had such limited contact with TESU (mostly due to this forum supplying me the information I needed). 

Like videogamesrock I was going to take a year off, but I didn't even make it to my degree conferral date (12 days to go!) - I'm actually getting excited to keep the momentum moving forward.