Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Help with OnlineDegree.com Computer Science Lesson 15: Event Driven - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Help with OnlineDegree.com Computer Science Lesson 15: Event Driven (/Thread-Help-with-OnlineDegree-com-Computer-Science-Lesson-15-Event-Driven)

Help with OnlineDegree.com Computer Science Lesson 15: Event Driven - camjenks - 12-11-2018

I'm stuck on Lesson 15 where you're supposed to modify an old game to give it a GUI. I have part of it working, but the instructor changes a bunch of sections of the code without showing how it all connects together after the changes. I've watched the video over and over and made all the changes, I just can't figure out how to call the different fuctions. Did anybody whose taken this get that game working with a GUI? I'm stumped.

RE: Help with OnlineDegree.com Computer Science Lesson 15: Event Driven - Sapientes - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 08:34 AM)camjenks Wrote: I'm stuck on Lesson 15 where you're supposed to modify an old game to give it a GUI. I have part of it working, but the instructor changes a bunch of sections of the code without showing how it all connects together after the changes. I've watched the video over and over and made all the changes, I just can't figure out how to call the different fuctions. Did anybody whose taken this get that game working with a GUI? I'm stumped.

I haven't taken the class, but it sounds like the assignment is wanting you to call a function when an object's event is triggered. All objects (ex: buttons, drop down menus, etc) have events (ex: on-click, mouse-rollover, etc) that are associated with them. The list of possible events are unique to each object, so you'll need to Google to see what events are available for the objects you're working with. In the code module for the object, you'll place your function call inside of the object's event code. Here's a link that walks you through the process. It has an example in Javascript that shows how to do it. You should be able to get the idea and then translate it to whatever language you're working in. If you get stuck, you can PM me.

RE: Help with OnlineDegree.com Computer Science Lesson 15: Event Driven - Mab81 - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 08:34 AM)camjenks Wrote: I'm stuck on Lesson 15 where you're supposed to modify an old game to give it a GUI. I have part of it working, but the instructor changes a bunch of sections of the code without showing how it all connects together after the changes. I've watched the video over and over and made all the changes, I just can't figure out how to call the different fuctions. Did anybody whose taken this get that game working with a GUI? I'm stumped.

I can try to look at your code too, if you need another eye.

RE: Help with OnlineDegree.com Computer Science Lesson 15: Event Driven - camjenks - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 06:32 PM)Mab81 Wrote:

I can try to look at your code too, if you need another eye.

Thanks, I got some of it figured out. I decided to move on with the course. I think there's some concepts that just haven't been covered yet. I think I'm going to finish the course, and then go through it again and review my code to see if I can figure it out once I have a little bit of a bigger picture. I'll definitely let you know if I end up being stumped, though. Thank you!