Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) (/Thread-Crippling-self-doubt-aka-starting-college-at-40)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Supermind - 03-24-2019

Great!! Keep it up.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Cheeseburrito - 03-24-2019

You're rocking it!

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-26-2019

I'm trying to figure out what courses I should do next. I had gone through to figure out which ones don't have writing assignments and prioritizing those as they're "easier" because I don't need to worry about trying to write papers when I've already got to do that with my job.

I was thinking about taking the computer science classes. The TEEX courses were ridiculously easy. I've been a sys admin since I was 13, so 25+ years now.

Business 109: Intro to Computing
Computer Science 102: Fundamentals of Information Technology
Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications
Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems
Computer Science 202: Network and System Security

I need 8 credits total for "D. UNDERSTANDING THE PHYSICAL & NATURAL WORLD (8cr)" and I figure the rest can go into my Gen ed and free electives. Is there any downside to doing these? I'm trying to get up to my 90 credits out of SDC because our of the 33 AOS credits that I need, I can only find an alternative for 3 of the credits (so only one course).

Sophia: The Essentials of Managing Conflict 1.00
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams 1.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for IT Professionals 3.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for Everyone 4.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for Business Professionals 3.00
The Institutes: Insurance Ethics 2.00
CSMLearn.com: The CSM Course 3.00
study.com: ENG 104: College Composition I 3.00
study.com: COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace 3.00
study.com: POLS 102: American Government 3.00
study.com: SOC 101: Intro to Sociology 3.00
study.com: History 108: History of the Vietnam War 3.00
study.com: Political Science: Intro to Political Science 3.00
study.com: POLS 103: Comparative Politics 3.00
study.com: COM 102: Interpersonal Communication 3.00
study.com: Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology 3.00
study.com: Psychology 104: Social Psychology 3.00

Up to 47! Hoping to make a decision on the course I listed above if I can get some input and be at 62 by the end of the week.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - bjcheung77 - 03-26-2019

Which degree are you going for again? It doesn't matter which ones to choose actually, I took all the courses you listed there for Study.com Comp Science, I found the Study.com courses relatively easy for the lower level ones. The UL are the only ones that require additional assignments. BTW, for Sophia, if you have a coupon, you should take the College Success class for FREE and it's 1 credit for your free electives. Since you did both the free 1 credit courses, it should give you a $50 off next course.

Homeland security and emergency management. Pretty much all of the UL courses I need are already the ones that are for my AOS.

I had been searching around the forum to see what they’d come in as and didn’t see anything consistent. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t taking anything that would be a waste of time/money or “wrong”. They’re so easy for me that the “hardest” part is just the time it takes to go through each quiz.

Oh! Thanks for the tip on Sophia! Those were super easy and I do have a I’m one credit shy.

Thank you!

I just noticed I had two $50 off coupons in the messaging on Sophia. I tried using them but they both said they’ve expired. I’m going to hit up customer service and see if they’ll activate them again. $50 isn’t very cost effective for 1 credit if I can get 3 credits for $70. I’ve only got a couple days before my SDC subscription renews so I’d rather run through the CS classes.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - shadowgem - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 01:40 PM)Mil0 Wrote: I'm trying to figure out what courses I should do next. I had gone through to figure out which ones don't have writing assignments and prioritizing those as they're "easier" because I don't need to worry about trying to write papers when I've already got to do that with my job.

I was thinking about taking the computer science classes. The TEEX courses were ridiculously easy. I've been a sys admin since I was 13, so 25+ years now.

Business 109: Intro to Computing
Computer Science 102: Fundamentals of Information Technology
Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications
Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems
Computer Science 202: Network and System Security

I need 8 credits total for "D. UNDERSTANDING THE PHYSICAL & NATURAL WORLD (8cr)" and I figure the rest can go into my Gen ed and free electives. Is there any downside to doing these? I'm trying to get up to my 90 credits out of SDC because our of the 33 AOS credits that I need, I can only find an alternative for 3 of the credits (so only one course).

Sophia: The Essentials of Managing Conflict 1.00
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams 1.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for IT Professionals 3.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for Everyone 4.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for Business Professionals 3.00
The Institutes: Insurance Ethics 2.00
CSMLearn.com: The CSM Course 3.00
study.com: ENG 104: College Composition I 3.00
study.com: COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace 3.00
study.com: POLS 102: American Government 3.00
study.com: SOC 101: Intro to Sociology 3.00
study.com: History 108: History of the Vietnam War 3.00
study.com: Political Science: Intro to Political Science 3.00
study.com: POLS 103: Comparative Politics 3.00
study.com: COM 102: Interpersonal Communication 3.00
study.com: Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology 3.00
study.com: Psychology 104: Social Psychology 3.00

Up to 47! Hoping to make a decision on the course I listed above if I can get some input and be at 62 by the end of the week.

Business 109: Intro to Computing and Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications both come into TESU as COS-101 Introductions to Computers at TESU..so these are dupes 

Computer Science 102: Fundamentals of Information Technology comes in as CMP-202 : Foundations of Information Technology at TESU

Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems comes in as COS-240 : Operating Systems at TESU

Computer Science 202: Network and System Security comes in as CYB-120 : Intro to Cyber Security which use to be a duplicate of one of the TEEX courses. However with the new change of credits applied for those courses I am not sure what the current TESU equivalencies are for the TEEX courses ..so it may still be a duplicate course or that may now have changed.

Thank you! I was trying to avoid any dupes so I didn’t waste money/time.

Looks like I’ll do:
bus 109 (it’s much shorter than comp 103.)
Comp 102
Comp 105

At least that’s 9 credits. I was excited about an “easy” 15 credits.

One of my TEEX classes definitely came in as CYB-120. I just had them evaluated in January.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - shadowgem - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 07:15 PM)Mil0 Wrote: Thank you! I was trying to avoid any dupes so I didn’t waste money/time.

Looks like I’ll do:
bus 109 (it’s much shorter than comp 103.)
Comp 102
Comp 105

At least that’s 9 credits. I was excited about an “easy” 15 credits.

One of my TEEX classes definitely came in as CYB-120. I just had them evaluated in January.

Did you complete the TEEX courses after the new ACE review? If so, would you mind sharing what they actually transferred into TESU as now? Just curious what may of changed in terms of equivalencies for those now. I completed them prior to the change and have been pondering whether it would be worth doing them over again or not.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-27-2019

(03-26-2019, 08:10 PM)shadowgem Wrote: Did you complete the TEEX courses after the new ACE review? If so, would you mind sharing what they actually transferred into TESU as now? Just curious what may of changed in terms of equivalencies for those now. I completed them prior to the change and have been pondering whether it would be worth doing them over again or not.

I completed the courses in January of 2019 after the updated ACE review so they qualified for the higher credit amount BUT when I sent them in to be evaluated, it was days before the change was officially made. I've contacted TESU and they said that I need to resend the transcript from ACE to show the higher credit value and they'll adjust the credit amounts. I've been waiting until I had something else on my ACE transcript to make it worth it. My CSMlearn course posted so I was going to send it this week. 

CYB-120 - Introduction to Cybersecurity 2.0
CAP-295 - Intro to Security Basics 2.0
CIS-244 - Computer Security 2.0

This was from my first evaluation so unfortunately, I don't have anything to report that would be different because I think this is how they normally transfer to TESU. 

I'm up to 47 credits so far but they've only added 22 credits to my evaluation so far.  I'm still waiting for 3 course finals to be reviewed and approved. 

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Muldoon - 03-29-2019

I just finished all of the quizzes for BUS 109 Computing (I still need to take the final). That course does offer a placement test, so you can probably clear a bunch of quizzes right away by taking it, and speed up the course completion time.