Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) (/Thread-Crippling-self-doubt-aka-starting-college-at-40)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 02-05-2019

(02-05-2019, 08:51 AM)allvia Wrote: If you do the Study Vietnam Wat History 108 (LL), remember there is a History 308 (UL) with much overlap - you could earn both quite easily, and get one of your UL AOS courses out of the way at the same time (for the TESU BALS)

Oh! Thanks for the tip! 

I've got a question. Does the intro to sociology class go under The diversity requirement (since I noticed all the plans say sociology or anthropology) or does it go under a general education elective? The degree plan part of this has to be the most confusing part.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - mysonx3 - 02-05-2019

Sociology will work under Diversity if you don't already have something there. Otherwise you can put it under Knowledge of Human Cultures, GenEd electives or electives, or LL AOS in the BALS depending on what else you have

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 02-05-2019

I really like how study.com gives you credit towards courses that go together. I was going to do history 308, as Allvia suggested but I just noticed that it requires two 2000-3000 word essays. I still have to finish my 1000-1200 word essay for english comp I that I've been putting off.

I wish I could just submit the white papers I have to write for work but they don't fit the essay prompts. facepalm.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - allvia - 02-05-2019

(02-05-2019, 02:24 PM)Mil0 Wrote: I really like how study.com gives you credit towards courses that go together. I was going to do history 308, as Allvia suggested but I just noticed that it requires two 2000-3000 word essays. I still have to finish my 1000-1200 word essay for english comp I that I've been putting off.

I wish I could just submit the white papers I have to write for work but they don't fit the essay prompts. facepalm.

All of Study's UL courses will require at least one paper (or other project) in addition to the exam.  If you stick to the rubric and they are pretty painless - don't over think them.   Make sure you get in your two exams per month though, the papers can be handed in after the exam(s) but the exams do not carry over into the next month.  I personally preferred to take the exams first - then you'd have a good idea of what level your paper needed to be at to pass.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 02-06-2019

(02-05-2019, 03:14 PM)allvia Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 02:24 PM)Mil0 Wrote: I really like how study.com gives you credit towards courses that go together. I was going to do history 308, as Allvia suggested but I just noticed that it requires two 2000-3000 word essays. I still have to finish my 1000-1200 word essay for english comp I that I've been putting off.

All of Study's UL courses will require at least one paper (or other project) in addition to the exam.  If you stick to the rubric and they are pretty painless - don't over think them.   Make sure you get in your two exams per month though, the papers can be handed in after the exam(s) but the exams do not carry over into the next month.  I personally preferred to take the exams first - then you'd have a good idea of what level your paper needed to be at to pass.

I thought that study.com said your papers had to be submitted before you could take the final? You don’t have to wait for your grades though. I’ve already taken the sociology final and I’ll be taking the college comp I final in a day or so. I was going to finish/submit my argumentative essay today but I ended up having too much going on in my house to find somewhere quiet to write.

I’ve managed to successfully watch two episodes of the new Star Trek though.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - mysonx3 - 02-06-2019

(02-06-2019, 09:05 PM)Mil0 Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 03:14 PM)allvia Wrote:

I thought that study.com said your papers had to be submitted before you could take the final? You don’t have to wait for your grades though. I’ve already taken the sociology final and I’ll be taking the college comp I final in a day or so. I was going to finish/submit my argumentative essay today but I ended up having too much going on in my house to find somewhere quiet to write.

I’ve managed to successfully watch two episodes of the new Star Trek though.

There is no need to submit assignments before taking a final. I currently have three classes where I am postponing the assignments but have already taken the final.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Merlin - 02-07-2019

(02-06-2019, 10:05 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:05 PM)Mil0 Wrote: I thought that study.com said your papers had to be submitted before you could take the final? You don’t have to wait for your grades though.
[...]

There is no need to submit assignments before taking a final. I currently have three classes where I am postponing the assignments but have already taken the final.

Study.com says that they want the projects and papers to be submitted before the final exam, but that is not a hard requirement. I don't think I did any of my SDC assignments up front... my process is pretty much always: (1) read the lessons, (2) take the quizzes, (3) go back to take the chapter exams after all lessons & quizzes are done, (4) take the final exam, (5) complete the projects/papers (if any).

My guess is that they make that statement because they want people to complete those projects/papers. They know that if you get a high enough overall score between the quizzes and the final exam that you can just dial it in for the final paper/project, or to complete one and then skip the rest of the assignments. If it was a big deal, they'd make it so you couldn't take the final exam until the rest is turned in.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Tedium - 02-20-2019

It sounds like you have a plan going already, so I hope what I’m about to suggest doesn’t muddy the waters, so to speak. The BALS is probably your fastest route to any sort of degree, but I know that you were concerned about getting a degree in your field and using the 30 FEMA credits you already have.

Have you thought about going to FCC for the AAS or certificate in Emergency Management while you were completing all your credits for the TESU degree? The FCC programs are designed around the FEMA IS courses. You take a set group of FEMA IS courses, then you take a Module from FCC that ties together the FEMA courses. The difference between the AAS and the certificate are a few Gen Ed courses (which you are taking now) and an Emergency Management internship. Being that you’re a Maryland resident and already working in the field, the internship should be simple to set up, and not require you to miss any work, since you should be able to use your current employer.

I still haven’t given up the idea of getting the Certificate myself. Only reason I wouldn’t try for the AAS is that it would be hard for me to get an internship since I work full-time. I know FCC is respected in the field and it would give you a good use for all those FEMA credits you have sitting, especially since you were thinking about transferring them through FCC anyway.

Even though the degree or certificate wouldn’t be necessary for you, I don’t think it would be too far out of your way at all with your current plan and would be a nice way to proceed in your field academically while you’re knocking out all these unrelated credits. Just a thought. Take a look and see if it works for you. Either way, good luck and I’m really enjoying following all your progress!

https://www.frederick.edu/programs/public-safety/emergency-management-online.aspx

I was wrong about the internship. Can’t use curent or past employers. But, the certificate is still an option. Like I said, you’d be using FCC to transfer them anyway, so it’s not too far out of the way for you. Just cost you a little extra money, but it would look good for grad programs, etc. combined with the BALS and your work experience.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 02-24-2019

I haven't been on the board in a while. I figured I'd post the degree plan that SDC created for me. I also finally registered with TESU and they also applied the 13 credits I have earned so far. I have 3 finals that I need to take but since I've been deployed, the internet is so terrible that I'm worried about being unable to do the required video and upload such a huge file. I can't even watch any of the videos on SDC. 

I believe that TESU applied the credits differently from the way that SDC placed them, but I also get confused every time I look at anything related to my plan. As I've said 100 times before, I have no idea why this stuff is so confusing to me. While I've definitely slowed down, I still will have 20 credits to my name by the end of the month. 

One thing I think I may have "screwed up" on would be taking the college composition classes instead of just taking one CLEP for the 6 credits. Am I write or wrong on that one? I've got college comp I finished, except for taking the final. Once I can find working internet and privacy, as I'm guessing a starbucks won't be allowable, I'll have that one finished. 

Has anyone taken the TECEPs? Are they comparable to CLEPs or the SDC finals? Off to do some more research. 

Attached is my Emergency Management Degree plan and the evaluation that TESU did for my existing credits.  

[attachment=2652][attachment=2653]

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - ROYISAGIRL - 02-24-2019

I don't know how your location is, but when I was on deployment the wifi internet was terrible but my hotspot worked fine. Idk if that would work for you. If there are any CLEP locations still near you I would take a few until your internet situation improves. I've never taken a TECP.