Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) (/Thread-Crippling-self-doubt-aka-starting-college-at-40)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-02-2019

I'm happy to report that the internet held while I was taking my College Comp I final and I got an 91/100! Smile

I've got two courses ready to take the final exam, World Religions and History of Vietnam. Unfortunately, I've totally forgotten all of the info from both and basically need to redo both courses so that I'm fresh on it and take the exams while I'm back home for a couple of weeks!

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-03-2019

Just an update.

So far I've completed:
ENG 104: College Composition I - SDC 3cr
COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace - SDC 3cr
SOC 101: Intro to Sociology - SDC 3cr
Insurance Ethics - The Institutes 2cr
History 108: History of the Vietnam War - SDC 3cr
The Essentials of Managing Conflict - Sophia 1cr
Developing Effective Teams - Sophia 1cr
Cybersecurity for Business Professionals - TEEX 2cr
Cybersecurity for Everyone - TEEX 2cr
Cybersecurity for IT Professionals - TEEX 2cr

I saw in another thread that the TEEX credits are now worth 10cr so I'm trying to figure out how to get that updated on my transcript but I'm up to 22cr! Not bad considering I started in the middle of January! I took two exams yesterday so I'm out of the included exams in my SDC account but I'm going to start doing more per more month so I can save the $30 each.

Thanks again for all of your help!

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Supermind - 03-03-2019

Very good! Did you take the TEEX courses after they were upgraded? Check the dates.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-03-2019

(03-03-2019, 09:44 AM)Supermind Wrote: Very good! Did you take the TEEX courses after they were upgraded? Check the dates.

Yep, I took them in 01/2019 so they're worth. It says on ACE that they're worth more than what TESU credited me for. 

Add Intro to Political Science and American Governments (so another 6 cr) to my total!). It's been a cold and snowy day so I've just been chugging away on Poli Sci courses.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - shadowgem - 03-03-2019

(03-03-2019, 03:28 PM)Mil0 Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 09:44 AM)Supermind Wrote: Very good! Did you take the TEEX courses after they were upgraded? Check the dates.

Yep, I took them in 01/2019 so they're worth. It says on ACE that they're worth more than what TESU credited me for. 

Add Intro to Political Science and American Governments (so another 6 cr) to my total!). It's been a cold and snowy day so I've just been chugging away on Poli Sci courses.

Well done!

When you sent the TEEX credits to TESU for evaluation, did your ACE transcript reflect the most recent or the previous credit evaluation?

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-04-2019

(03-03-2019, 03:52 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 03:28 PM)Mil0 Wrote:

Well done!

When you sent the TEEX credits to TESU for evaluation, did your ACE transcript reflect the most recent or the previous credit evaluation?
I sent them in January, I believe. The change happened in February, right? Now it shows that they’re worth more so I just need to contact tesu and have it updated.

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-10-2019

Just an update. This is what I've completed so far:

ENG 104: College Composition I
COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace
The CSM Course
Insurance Ethics
POLS 102: American Government
SOC 101: Intro to Sociology
The Essentials of Managing Conflict
History 108: History of the Vietnam War
Political Science: Intro to Political Science
Cybersecurity for IT Professionals
Developing Effective Teams
Cybersecurity for Everyone
Cybersecurity for Business Professionals

I'm currently at 35 credits (or 31, depending on if my TEEX credits don't get adjusted to their new worth). I'm ready to take the final for POLS 103: Comparative Politics but my 5lb chihuahua has been a jackass all morning so I'm worried she'll distract me during the final. I'll figure out some time today to take it which will put me at 38 credits. Not bad for starting mid January! Huge thanks to this forum for getting me started!

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Staceys88 - 03-11-2019

I just read through all these posts and I'm super inspired! I have no advice but just had to mention that you gave me hope and I'll be following along and cheering you on!

I'm 40 something and had some college credits plus took some online (expensive) courses before learning about all these other options. All this info had been great but I've been frozen, not knowing what to sign up for (SDC or SL or whatever) and I keep second guessing everything. I'm jumping in today! I just gonna do it. Thank you Milo!

Go Milo Go!!

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-11-2019

(03-11-2019, 12:38 PM)Staceys88 Wrote: I just read through all these posts and I'm super inspired! I have no advice but just had to mention that you gave me hope and I'll be following along and cheering you on!

I'm 40 something and had some college credits plus took some online (expensive) courses before learning about all these other options.  All this info had been great but I've been frozen, not knowing what to sign up for (SDC or SL or whatever) and I keep second guessing everything.  I'm jumping in today! I just gonna do it.  Thank you Milo!

Go Milo Go!!

Thank you! I was in the same boat. Even 1/4 of the way through, I keep thinking “did I choose the right method?” when it comes to SDC or SL etc. I keep reminding myself that if I’d just gone ahead and done this when I first started thinking about it 7 years ago, I’d have been done already!! 

You can definitely do it!

I’ve decided that whenever I want to play a game, aimlessly scroll through Facebook, or get lost reading the news(because when you read the news online, there is an endless supply of it!!), I work on my courses instead. I’ve completed over a year of college in less than two months while working full time and being a wife/mother. 

About to take that comparative politics final because I didn’t do it yesterday. Woops!

RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - Mil0 - 03-24-2019

Just another update:

Sophia: The Essentials of Managing Conflict 1.00
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams 1.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for IT Professionals 3.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for Everyone 4.00
TEEX: Cybersecurity for Business Professionals 3.00
The Institutes: Insurance Ethics 2.00
CSMLearn.com: The CSM Course 3.00
study.com: ENG 104: College Composition I 3.00
study.com: COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace 3.00
study.com: POLS 102: American Government 3.00