Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
ACE Recommended Course - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: ACE Recommended Course (/Thread-ACE-Recommended-Course)

ACE Recommended Course - Bachinayr - 01-13-2019

Hi Everyone,
On what basis can a school refuse to take ACE recommend courses from SDC?
I initially signed up for the college accelerator plan with SDC thinking that it would be much easier to just take 2-3 courses per month rather than taking time off from work to go to my local CLEP testing center.
To my surprise, when I initially asked my admission counselor at SNHU if they accept ACE courses from SDC said no. Late last week I asked my academic advisor the same question and he said ‘yes’.

I sent him the SDC course names I’m thinking of taking and I’m waiting on him to get back to me.

So question: what would be the reason they don’t accept the courses from SDC especially since the ACE website lists SDC as an ACE recommended institution?

RE: ACE Recommended Course - dfrecore - 01-14-2019

It sounds like the admissions counselor you asked doesn't know what he's talking about. That's not uncommon - a lot of people at colleges don't understand ACE credit (or CLEP/DSST for that matter).

RE: ACE Recommended Course - mysonx3 - 01-14-2019

To answer your initial question:

Any basis they want. They have no obligation to take credits from CLEP, SDC or any other source of ACE credit. Colleges can choose whether they want to take these credits.

But for a school that accepts ACE and NCCRS, they don't usually say they won't take a particular provider (TESU and EC not taking Shmoop is an anomaly).

Here's what it says on their website:

*All current ACE and NCCRS credit recommendations are eligible for credit evaluation at Southern New Hampshire University. If you don't see your course on this list, contact us to learn more.

So I'm going back to my original post and say that this person doesn't understand ACE/NCCRS or particular providers.  I would just talk to someone else.

RE: ACE Recommended Course - cookderosa - 01-14-2019

(01-13-2019, 08:40 PM)Bachinayr Wrote: Hi Everyone,
I initially signed up for the college accelerator plan with SDC thinking that it would be much easier to just take 2-3 courses per month rather than taking time off from work to go to my local CLEP testing center.
To my surprise, when I initially asked my admission counselor at SNHU if they accept ACE courses from SDC said no. Late last week I asked my academic advisor the same question and he said ‘yes’.

I sent him the SDC course names I’m thinking of taking and I’m waiting on him to get back to me.

So question: what would be the reason they don’t accept the courses from SDC especially since the ACE website lists SDC as an ACE recommended institution?

It might be helpful for you to know that SNHU has a partnership agreement with Saylor Academy that is current, so there is a precedence for them taking ACE credit.

I wanted to edit to comment about the ACE website. That list doesn't mean that the college ACCEPTS ALL ACE credit- it means they participate. Accepting an AP or CLEP exam, technically, means that they participate. Still, your academic advisor is better qualified to help you with your SDC list than an admissions rep. They never deal with academic evaluations or credit transfer/ placement. They're just the sales team trying to enroll you.

(01-14-2019, 03:07 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 08:40 PM)Bachinayr Wrote: Hi Everyone,

It might be helpful for you to know that SNHU has a partnership agreement with Saylor Academy that is current, so there is a precedence for them taking ACE credit.

I wanted to edit to comment about the ACE website.  That list doesn't mean that the college ACCEPTS ALL ACE credit- it means they participate.  Accepting an AP or CLEP exam, technically, means that they participate.  Still, your academic advisor is better qualified to help you with your SDC list than an admissions rep. They never deal with academic evaluations or credit transfer/ placement.  They're just the sales team trying to enroll you.

I just know from this forum that SNHU takes all kinds of ACE/NCCRS credit.  I've heard from many people over the years that this is the case.  So in this particular instance, I'm going to back to my original statement that the enrollment person is the wrong person to ask, and to ask an advisor.

RE: ACE Recommended Course - Bachinayr - 01-14-2019

Thanks to everyone for the insightful feedback, as usual.
I think I may take a proctored test this week and send I. The results. If they don’t take the credits, I’ll take a CLEP insight.