Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESC degrees? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESC degrees? (/Thread-TESC-degrees)

TESC degrees? - Jubilee - 01-27-2008

I'm trying to figure out which degree would be best for me. I'm planning on enrolling in TESC, and all of the credits I have will be through CLEP or DANTE. I haven't done any other upper-level college work. I know TESC will theoretically accept 120 transferred credit hours, but I'd like to test out of as much as I possibly can. Money is the main issue here, and the TECEPs are quite a bit more pricey. The actual degree is irrelevant, I just have to get one.

I've been planning on getting a BA in history because there were a number of history CLEP/DANTE tests and I thought I should be able to get most of the hours through testing. However, a friend of mine just informed me that TESC doesn't accept those tests in the "area of concentration" for a BA in history, though they can be used as electives. So... I guess my question is, is it possible to use CLEPs and Dantes for most of my degree? Or will I have to just bite the bullet and just pay for the TECEPs? Is there a different degree where I can test out of more than 90 hours before enrolling? My heart isn't set on History, I just want to take as few TECEPs as possible.

TESC degrees? - peacfulchaos2001 - 01-27-2008

I am currently enrolled at TESC, for a BA History. I am not sure what test your friend was talkin about but the ones that I have took, as well as plan on taking, for history have counted toward my History concentration. American History I/II, Western Civilization I/II, Civil War & Reconstruction, Intro to Modern Middle East, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, and a few other count toward the History concentration. Since price is an issue you can also look toward LSU independent study, if you need to some classes.

TESC degrees? - Jubilee - 01-27-2008

Coolness!! I was really, really hoping those tests would count toward the area study. I probably should know this--but what exactly is LSU independent study?

TESC degrees? - peacfulchaos2001 - 01-28-2008

LSU Independent Study, is basically self paced distance education courses. It is offered by LSU, however they only offer courses not degree programs. The cost is around $325(I can't recall off hand) for a 3 credit course. It's regionally accredited and allows alot of flexibility. There are also history ECE's that you can to complete the History concentration. It's all depends on how good of a test taker, and which you consider more "bang for the buck".

Here's the link:
LSU Independent and Distance Learning

TESC degrees? - studyhard - 01-29-2008

peacfulchaos2001 Wrote:I am currently enrolled at TESC, for a BA History. I am not sure what test your friend was talkin about but the ones that I have took, as well as plan on taking, for history have counted toward my History concentration. American History I/II, Western Civilization I/II, Civil War & Reconstruction, Intro to Modern Middle East, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, and a few other count toward the History concentration.

Ditto. I'm also a history student there and had the same exams accepted for the history concentration. I will have to take two online courses from TESC, as there are not enough upper-level history tests to fulfill the requirements. One of the ones I've decided to is (War and American Society) is a 6-credit exam, so I only have to take that and one other one.