Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESC....am I missing something? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESC....am I missing something? (/Thread-TESC-am-I-missing-something)

TESC....am I missing something? - studyhard - 01-31-2008

Okay, I'm new to the whole thing of working with a college advisor, as I used CollegePlus for most of my degree planning.

I've completed most of my CLEPs and DSSTs and had transcripts send to TESC. My degree audit and proposed courses were approved.

However, I found LATER (and mostly by accident) that one of the TESC courses I planned to take duplicated a DSST I had taken. It's no big deal, because I have other options of stuff to take, but it's left me feeling Highly Suspicious and kind of nervous. Telling you your plans are approved and then telling you that no, you can't do that after all isn't calculated to inspire trust.

Is this normal? Exactly who do you go to get the final answer? I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of taking certain courses only to find out that nope, sorry, that doesn't work after all, try again schweetie. :confused: :confused: :confused:

TESC....am I missing something? - cookderosa - 01-31-2008

studyhard Wrote:Okay, I'm new to the whole thing of working with a college advisor, as I used CollegePlus for most of my degree planning.

I've completed most of my CLEPs and DSSTs and had transcripts send to TESC. My degree audit and proposed courses were approved.

However, I found LATER (and mostly by accident) that one of the TESC courses I planned to take duplicated a DSST I had taken. It's no big deal, because I have other options of stuff to take, but it's left me feeling Highly Suspicious and kind of nervous. Telling you your plans are approved and then telling you that no, you can't do that after all isn't calculated to inspire trust.

Is this normal? Exactly who do you go to get the final answer? I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of taking certain courses only to find out that nope, sorry, that doesn't work after all, try again schweetie. :confused: :confused: :confused:
>>

I check and double check mine- and in the end there was still an error (small, but still....) You will want to check each semester BEFORE you enroll that your classes fit and don't duplicate credit. Also, they are human and make mistakes. One adviser accidentally took one class out of one category and put it into another- sounds minor but this freaked me out because it destroyed my plan.....I called and they fixed it. But at the end of the day, you need to be sure that your classes work- they are helping 12,000 students and there are only 6 advisers.
What class did they say duplicated credit if I can ask?? Also, you should print out the 3 pages in the college catalog (pg 99) showing exam to course equivalency. I sleep with mine under my pillow hilarious

TESC....am I missing something? - studyhard - 01-31-2008

The DSST "Civil War and Reconstruction" duplicates TESC's Civil War course. Come to find out they're revising it and aren't even offering it this semester. Big Grin

When I called and went through the "push this option, push that option" I finally ended up with a live body in "advisement" who supposedly fixed things for me and tells me I can do another DSST exam instead of a TESC course. So that should be good......right? If I was to double-check would I call and make an appointment with an advisor? When I e-mail to the "enrolled@tesc.edu" address, I never get a response for the same person. So I hope I don't slip through the cracks and get lost in the ether somewhere. Rolleyes

TESC....am I missing something? - cookderosa - 02-01-2008

studyhard Wrote:The DSST "Civil War and Reconstruction" duplicates TESC's Civil War course. Come to find out they're revising it and aren't even offering it this semester. Big Grin

When I called and went through the "push this option, push that option" I finally ended up with a live body in "advisement" who supposedly fixed things for me and tells me I can do another DSST exam instead of a TESC course. So that should be good......right? If I was to double-check would I call and make an appointment with an advisor? When I e-mail to the "enrolled@tesc.edu" address, I never get a response for the same person. So I hope I don't slip through the cracks and get lost in the ether somewhere. Rolleyes
>>

Ok,
Civil war does duplicate. Have you ever made an appointment with an advisor? You can block out 30 minutes, it's nice. Also, the advising email thing you spoke of is horrible. I ALWAYS put "attention Todd Siben" on my
enrolled@tesc.edu questions (in the subject line). That way I am sure the same advisor gets my question. (He actually suggested that tip to me!). So, if you have one advisor that is helping you more than another, try directing your questions to only them.
Finally, if you need history classes to transfer into TESC, you can find them at the history class playground AKA American Military University. Smile Online, 8 week classes, RA, and cheap! I am planning on taking the grad certificate in European History in the down time between my BA and MA.
Degree Programs at American Military University (AMU)

Good Luck!!