Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? (/Thread-Are-there-alternatives-to-these-2-classes-at-Study-com)

Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - AwardTour - 02-06-2019

Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com?

I am looking for lower level alternatives that will satisfy Section G: & Section I: for my BSBA-CIS at TESU. I would prefer to take the alternatives at Study.com but if Straighterline has it then I might consider it.

Right now I have the following:

G: Business/Society (3sh)
 MAN-372 Business 308: Globalization & International Management Study.com

I: Communications (3sh)
 MAN-373 Business 324: Managerial Communication  Study.com

These are both 300 level classes. If I can replace either of these with "easier" / lower level classes then please let me know. Thanks. 

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - Merlin - 02-06-2019

(02-06-2019, 04:25 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com?

I am looking for lower level alternatives that will satisfy Section G: & Section I: for my BSBA-CIS at TESU. I would prefer to take the alternatives at Study.com but if Straighterline has it then I might consider it.

These are both 300 level classes. If I can replace either of these with "easier" / lower level classes then please let me know. Thanks. 

For (G) I took Business 120: International Business, and for (I) I took Business 113: Business Communication. You don't have to take the UL versions.

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - dfrecore - 02-06-2019

Yeah, I agree with Merlin that the LL courses are a much better bet.

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - AwardTour - 02-06-2019

(02-06-2019, 07:18 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 04:25 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com?

For (G) I took Business 120: International Business, and for (I) I took Business 113: Business Communication. You don't have to take the UL versions.

Thanks a million for telling me Merlin. I will take those instead.

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - hallk33 - 03-02-2019

Are those UL courses not required for all BSBAs? I am pursuing BSBA in Operations Management.

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - Merlin - 03-02-2019

(03-02-2019, 05:54 PM)hallk33 Wrote: Are those UL courses not required for all BSBAs? I am pursuing BSBA in Operations Management.

None of the BSBA core courses are required to be upper level (aside from the capstone). You only need UL courses in the AoS (and for the BSBA, you only need 12 UL credits there).

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - Supermind - 03-02-2019

I think Saylor academy’s BUS 210: Corporate Communication would also help you satisfy the Managerial Communication requirement, at a lower level. It used to transfer into TESU as MAN-373, but not anymore. I completed this course last week, and it is fairly straight forward. Just that the course material is long drawn, and not parsimonious like study.com. Saylor also needs to work on the wording of their questions in the final proctored exam. Some of them are so ambiguously worded that 2 or 3 of the 4 answer choices might end up being right for the given question!

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - hallk33 - 03-03-2019

None of the BSBA core courses are required to be upper level (aside from the capstone). You only need UL courses in the AoS (and for the BSBA, you only need 12 UL credits there).
[/quote]

That is very helpful to know. I thought based on what was written on the evaluation and shown on the transfer guides that the course specified was what was required.
TESU also made it sound like those specific courses were required. For example, I was told only MAN-210 would fulfill the management requirement. I had other management courses transfer from a CC that they refused put in for that requirement.

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - Merlin - 03-03-2019

(03-03-2019, 03:39 PM)hallk33 Wrote:
Merlin Wrote:None of the BSBA core courses are required to be upper level (aside from the capstone). You only need UL courses in the AoS (and for the BSBA, you only need 12 UL credits there).

That is very helpful to know. I thought based on what was written on the evaluation and shown on the transfer guides that the course specified was what was required.
TESU also made it sound like those specific courses were required. For example, I was told only MAN-210 would fulfill the management requirement. I had other management courses transfer from a CC that they refused put in for that requirement.

Plenty of us have done this before and as long as a transfer course delivers equivalent course material as the TESU course, it should be accepted to meet the same degree requirements. Advising will always recommend that you take specific TESU courses because part of their job is to get you to sign up for classes at TESU. The registrar is the group that determines how courses are evaluated and placed on your academic evaluation.

I don't know what course you're referring to, but if you transferred a management course from a CC that wasn't accepted the way you thought, it could be that the subject matter wasn't aligned close enough to meet the requirement... or perhaps you were comparing it with an upper division course? FYI, CC courses ALWAYS come in as lower-division regardless of their course code, course content, or difficulty.

Also keep in mind that the registrar does occasionally make mistakes in their evaluations since they don't know every course from every school. If you feel that a course you submitted for evaluation should match a TESU course due to having a similar curriculum, and both courses are at the same course level (UL or LL), then keep in mind that you can always appeal an evaluation. In such cases, TESU may request that you send a copy of the course syllabus or a link to their website or to course catalog that provides the learning outcomes for the course so they can re-examine the evaluation.

RE: Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? - dfrecore - 03-03-2019

(03-03-2019, 03:39 PM)hallk33 Wrote: None of the BSBA core courses are required to be upper level (aside from the capstone). You only need UL courses in the AoS (and for the BSBA, you only need 12 UL credits there).

[/quote]

If you listed the courses you took, including course number and course name that the school you took them at used, and then the course number that TESU gave them, that would be helpful.  We could then (probably) tell you why they did what they did.