Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Downside of Being in an International Program - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Downside of Being in an International Program (/Thread-Downside-of-Being-in-an-International-Program)

Downside of Being in an International Program - sanantone - 02-13-2019

My program at University of Florida is a joint program with University of Edinburgh in Scotland. I guess it's kind of cool to see how things work in other countries, but forensics is very legal-specific. The instructor for one of my current courses is in Scotland.

We had an assignment on child abuse, which should be easy for me because I used to assess child abuse and neglect reports. I'm fuming because I got a 91. My point deductions were based on not recommending that the medical professional contact the school for attendance and other non-medical records before making a report to law enforcement or social services. Well, the U.S. has this little law called FERPA!

I also got points taken off because I recommended that the hospital immediately contact law enforcement or social services after the father left the hospital with a young child covered in bruises after telling a suspicious story and before the child could be examined. My instructor thinks that the hospital should contact various family members and basically conduct their own investigation before making a report. 

Do you know what is the problem with this? In the U.S., states have mandated reporter laws. If a medical professional suspects abuse, and the injuries aren't consistent with an accident or a known medical condition, then they have to report. The UK has no mandated reporting law!

RE: Downside of Being in an International Program - Merlin - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 03:31 PM)sanantone Wrote: My program at University of Florida is a joint program with University of Edinburgh in Scotland. I guess it's kind of cool to see how things work in other countries, but forensics is very legal-specific. The instructor for one of my current courses is in Scotland.

We had an assignment on child abuse, which should be easy for me because I used to assess child abuse and neglect reports. I'm fuming because I got a 91. My point deductions were based on not recommending that the medical professional contact the school for attendance and other non-medical records before making a report to law enforcement or social services. Well, the U.S. has this little law called FERPA!

I also got points taken off because I recommended that the hospital immediately contact law enforcement or social services after the father left the hospital with a young child covered in bruises after telling a suspicious story and before the child could be examined. My instructor thinks that the hospital should contact various family members and basically conduct their own investigation before making a report. 

Do you know what is the problem with this? In the U.S., states have mandated reporter laws. If a medical professional suspects abuse, and the injuries aren't consistent with an accident or a known medical condition, then they have to report. The UK has no mandated reporting law!

That sounds like something that can be cleared up with an email to make sure the instructor understands the differences between US and UK privacy and child abuse reporting laws. But yeah I can see how it would be frustrating. On the other hand, I suspect that there are other interesting aspects of this kind of program.

RE: Downside of Being in an International Program - dfrecore - 02-14-2019

Yeah, that would make me mad too. I hate when I KNOW I'm right and someone tells me I'm wrong!!! GRRRR!

And I agree with Merlin, a quick email to point out exactly what you stated here is in order.

RE: Downside of Being in an International Program - sanantone - 02-14-2019

Oh, I sent an email as soon as I finished reading her comments. Now, I'm just waiting.

RE: Downside of Being in an International Program - sanantone - 02-14-2019

She's not budging even though I quoted the statute that says that everyone is required to report suspected child abuse immediately. Her response to the whole FERPA thing was that she's usually able to get information from schools. She's in Scotland! I explained to her how FERPA works in the U.S. Since she's a TA, she's having a professor look over my assignment. Ugh.

RE: Downside of Being in an International Program - Tedium - 02-19-2019

Oh, wow. That really sucks. It is a cool program in theory. I hope you get it sorted. I wonder if Scottish students are running into the same issue? In situations like that do you learn for the foreign tester or actually learn your country’s laws?

Maybe that’s something that can be brought up with the program heads. I would want someone to know my country’s laws and not the foreign laws of their instructors. The program should have the same goals. Maybe it’s just something they overlooked?

RE: Downside of Being in an International Program - sanantone - 02-20-2019

They gave me two additional points.