Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Davar Study Guides no longer free? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Davar Study Guides no longer free? (/Thread-Davar-Study-Guides-no-longer-free)

Pages: 1 2

Davar Study Guides no longer free? - shadowgem - 02-13-2019

My husband just took the American Government course and passed!

He was surprised to find that all of their courses now appear to only offer a syllabus for review before paying. We had read that you could download the materials, study, then pay for the course and exam, but it appears that is no longer the case.  Sad 

As for the American Government course specifically, he did not feel the materials he did purchase from Davar adequately prepared him for the final exam. The study materials were $70 and contained only an 80 page slide and chapter tests without answer keys. In addition he found that a large portion of the chapter test questions could not be answered by using the provided course materials. Maybe the youtube links would have been helpful, but I do not think he watched those. 

He did manage to pass just barely with a 72, so we'll take it lol

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - scout2family - 02-19-2019

I noticed this recently too! I was hoping to review the materials to determine it would fit my learning style.

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - Muldoon - 03-04-2019

Hmm, I just logged in and noticed this too. No announcement about it. I wonder why they changed it.

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - cookderosa - 03-04-2019

That's a huge bummer. And $70???? Ugh.

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - shadowgem - 03-05-2019

(03-04-2019, 10:52 PM)cookderosa Wrote: That's a huge bummer.  And $70???? Ugh.

Yes $70 for the study guide/slides as well as the Chapter Tests. For this particular course the Chapter Tests did not include any Answer Keys and many of the answers (most) were nowhere to be found inside of the included Study Guide. This leads me to think that the Textbook would really be needed as well to be fully prepared to score well on the American Government Exam.

Also, there is an additional fee for using either proctor service as well, and you may need to spend more for the textbook depending on the course. I think there is a "business" account option where you can purchase 2 study guides per month, but this also does not appear to include the proctor/textbook fees.

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - Muldoon - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 12:19 AM)shadowgem Wrote:

Yes $70 for the study guide/slides as well as the Chapter Tests. For this particular course the Chapter Tests did not include any Answer Keys and many of the answers (most) were nowhere to be found inside of the included Study Guide. This leads me to think that the Textbook would really be needed as well to be fully prepared to score well on the American Government Exam.

Also, there is an additional fee for using either proctor service as well, and you may need to spend more for the textbook depending on the course. I think there is a "business" account option where you can purchase 2 study guides per month, but this also does not appear to include the proctor/textbook fees.

Yeah, that pricing is the same. Most of their exams are $70 with a few courses being higher ($90 or $99) and to my knowledge you've always had to pay extra for the proctor fees, which vary depending on which company you pick. The Business Class is $99/month (not counting proctor fees) and it includes two business courses each month, and it's a subscription so you have to manually cancel it once you're done.

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - dfrecore - 03-05-2019

It's $70 for the materials and then proctor fees, so it works out to be less than $100 per course.

Previously, you got the materials for free, then paid $70 plus proctoring fees when you went to take the test.  They switched it up without telling anyone.

But you're still paying the same amount for the credit that you always were.

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - eriehiker - 03-05-2019

Can you take the exams without purchasing the material?

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - jsd - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 07:54 AM)eriehiker Wrote: Can you take the exams without purchasing the material?

You get the material when you pay for the exam. I don't think they'll give you a discount if you don't look at the material Smile

RE: Davar Study Guides no longer free? - Argo - 03-28-2019

I paid 70 dollars for a Davar course but I can't find any materials. I found the syllabus and ordered the textbook. If there are materials I don't know how to access them.