Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors (/Thread-Using-Grad-School-Credits-for-Second-Bachelors)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - satori - 02-15-2019

Have BS and MBA in Finance and am working on an MS in Data Science (which I may change to Applied Statistics).  Can I use credits from my grad degrees for a BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU?  I think Excelsior will not let you use the credits if they have been used for another degree.  Thanks.

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - sanantone - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 01:57 PM)satori Wrote: Have BS and MBA in Finance and am working on an MS in Data Science (which I may change to Applied Statistics).  Can I use credits from my grad degrees for a BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU?  I think Excelsior will not let you use the credits if they have been used for another degree.  Thanks.

TESU will let you use the credits, but you'll need to meet the requirements for new credits. New credits are credits earned after the last degree of any level is conferred. 

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - Merlin - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 02:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 01:57 PM)satori Wrote: Have BS and MBA in Finance and am working on an MS in Data Science (which I may change to Applied Statistics).  Can I use credits from my grad degrees for a BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU?  I think Excelsior will not let you use the credits if they have been used for another degree.  Thanks.

TESU will let you use the credits, but you'll need to meet the requirements for new credits. New credits are credits earned after the last degree of any level is conferred. 

I think that basically translates as you can only use credits that have not been used in support of a prior degree (one that has already been conferred). If you want to use them towards a degree at TESU they must be new credits. Most colleges (like Excelsior) have similar policies in that regard... double dipping is not allowed.

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - sanantone - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 07:36 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I think that basically translates as you can only use credits that have not been used in support of a prior degree (one that has already been conferred). If you want to use them towards a degree at TESU they must be new credits. Most colleges (like Excelsior) have similar policies in that regard... double dipping is not allowed.

That's not what I'm saying. TESU gave me credits for courses I completed in my first master's degree program; however, they didn't count toward the new credit requirement. There are a lot of people using credits from associate's degrees toward their first bachelor's degree and credits from their first bachelor's degree toward their second bachelor's degree. You still need to complete 24 new credits.

Can anyone point to Excelsior having a policy against "double dipping?" I haven't seen it. They, like TESU, require a minimum number of new credits. That does not mean you can't use old credits. They aren't going to make you start from scratch.

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - dfrecore - 02-15-2019

AND, the 24 new credits must be in the AOS. And you must meet all of the degree requirements.

At TESU, their 2nd degree program waives all GE's, but there may be additional requirements (like College Algebra, Stats, Physics, etc.) that are GE's but still part of the degree requirement. If you didn't have those courses, those would be required in addition to the 24 new credits in the AOS.

For Comp Sci & Math, there will be some overlapping requirements, so you can use Calc I for both for instance.

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - Life Long Learning - 02-15-2019

I used a 3 SH AMU Grad course at Excelsior College for my 2nd BS HSEM degree.  Not really sure their real rules.

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - cookderosa - 02-15-2019

I think Merlin is right- TESU only lets you do that when the credits haven't been used in a degree - not sure about EC

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - satori - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 10:38 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

I think Merlin is right- TESU only lets you do that when the credits haven't been used in a degree - not sure about EC

Thanks.  So as long as the degree has not been conferred yet they will give me credit?

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - mysonx3 - 02-15-2019

There must be some nuance if this is the policy, as TESU clearly allows up to 96 credits from one bachelor's to be used in a second. Perhaps it only applies if "downgrading" degrees (i.e. getting a BA after an MA)?

RE: Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors - Merlin - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 11:07 PM)satori Wrote:

Thanks.  So as long as the degree has not been conferred yet they will give me credit?

I believe that is true, as long as we're talking about the "new credits" aspect (which is the last 24 credits of the degree). Based on what sanantone said (which sounds right to me) 96 credits can probably come from anywhere, even from previously awarded degrees.

Some degrees at TESU also allow a 9 credit "overlap" between degrees, which I believe will further reduce that 24 new credits requirement down to 15 credits. Though I'm not 100% sure how that works since I haven't looked at that section of the catalog in a while.