Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Glad to be here! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Glad to be here! (/Thread-Glad-to-be-here)

Pages: 1 2

Glad to be here! - jeremyeugenejames - 02-19-2019

Hey all:

Glad to find you.

Looking forward to learning.  I have an Associates Degree geared towards Business Transfer. 

I have 200 courses in Accounting, Management, Business Law, Statistics, Economics.  I have my Pre-Cal, a sequence in History, and a Basic Computer and an Excel class.  I also have a lot of out-of-college business experience, including running my own E-Commerce physical products business for the past 5 years.

I'd like to get a BSBA - of the "Top 3," which is the quickest?

Thanks.

RE: Glad to be here! - Merlin - 02-19-2019

(02-19-2019, 09:41 AM)jeremyeugenejames Wrote: Hey all:

Glad to find you.

Looking forward to learning.  I have an Associates Degree geared towards Business Transfer. 

I have 200 courses in Accounting, Management, Business Law, Statistics, Economics.  I have my Pre-Cal, a sequence in History, and a Basic Computer and an Excel class.  I also have a lot of out-of-college business experience, including running my own E-Commerce physical products business for the past 5 years.

I'd like to get a BSBA - of the "Top 3," which is the quickest?

Thanks.

You'll need to post your college transcripts before people will be able to offer much in the way of advice.

Just to clarify, the schools typically recommended are the "big 3" which means Charter Oak State College (COSC), Thomas Edison State University (TESU), and Excelsior College (EC or ECE).

That said, none of these are "top 3" schools. They are pretty much all lower rated (or unrated) regionally-accredited public state colleges like most other most smaller state colleges. They are all focused on online education for working adults looking to complete a degree after a hiatus. The reason these particular "big 3" schools are highlighted is that they have very generous credit transfer policies and allow students to transfer in nearly all of the credits needed for a degree. In most cases, the schools will accept up to 114-117 of the 120 credits needed for a bachelor's degree, so a student is only required to complete 3-6 credits from the school itself in order to graduate.

In addition to the "big 3", we also talk a lot about Western Governors University (WGU), particularly for people with prior experience in the field who are looking for degrees in IT, Business, or Education. Its similar to the big 3 in that they have a very generous credit transfer policy, but they require students to take at least 30 credits from WGU to graduate. That 30 credit requirement is why there isn't a "big 4".

As for which is quickest, that will depend on what courses you've taken, from where, your target degree, and target school (since they all have slightly different requirements). It sounds like you have a lot of business credits and mentioned interest in a BSBA, so a business administration degree from the big 3, or a business management degree from WGU sounds like a good fit.

Once you post your transcripts (at the least we need to know the school, whether it is quarterly or semester-based, and then for each course taken, we need the grade earned and when the course was taken) folks will be able to give you a better idea of options.

RE: Glad to be here! - dfrecore - 02-19-2019

And to answer your question, all of the Big 3 are fast - none is any faster than the rest. Fast is going to mostly go by how many credits they will accept, and what you have left to complete.

As Merlin said, if you post all of your credits here in the following format, we can help you determine which is the best fit (you don't have to list the school name):

School #1 (2-yr or 4-yr? Regionally accredited? Semester or Quarter-based?)
Course #, course name, # of credits, grade if less than a C
etc.

School #2 (2-yr or 4-yr? Regionally accredited? Semester or Quarter-based?)
etc.

School #3 (2-yr or 4-yr? Regionally accredited? Semester or Quarter-based?)
etc.

RE: Glad to be here! - jeremyeugenejames - 02-20-2019

Thanks for the response.  

Here are my details:

College #1 - Private, 4 Year, Regionally Accredited, Semester Base:

CE 100 - History/Philosophy of Christian Education, 2 Hours, 4 Quality Points, C
CM 100 - Personal Evangelism, 2 Hours, 4 Quality Points, C
HIS 201 - U.S. History, 3 Hours, 6 Quality Points, C
PE 210 - Lifetime Fitness, 2 Hours, 6 Quality Points, B
SS 100 - Freshman Orientation, 1 Hour, 3 Quality Points, B
EN 102 - Literature and Composition, 3 Hours, 6 Quality Points, C
HI 202 - U.S. History, 3 Credit Hours, 6 Quality Points, D
SP 100 - Fundamentals of Speech, 3 Credit Hours,3 Quality Points, D
BI260 - Biblical Interpretation, 3 Credit Hours, 3 Quality Points, D
MI 101 - Local Church and World Missions, 2 Credit Hours, 4 Quality Points, C
PS 200 - General Psychology, 3 Credit Hours, 3 Quality Points, D
YM 200, Philosophy of Youth Ministry, 2 Credit Hours, 4 Quality Points, C
BI 204 - New Testament Survey, 3 Credit Hours, 3 Quality Points, D
PS 432  - Adolescent Development, 2 Credit Hours, 2 Quality Points, D
SS220 - Intro to Cultural Anthropology, 3 Credit Hours, 6 Quality Points, C

College #2 - Public, 2 year, Regionally Accredited, Semester Base

ENG 101 - English Composition 1, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
BUS 241 - Principles of Accounting I, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
CIS 113 - Spreadsheet Software, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
CIS 146 - Microcomputer Applications, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
SPH 107 - Public Speaking, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
ART 100 - Art Appreciation, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
BUS 242 - Principles of Accounting II, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
ECO 231 - Principles of Macroeconomics, 3 Credit Hours, 9 Quality Points, B
ECO 232 - Principles of Microeconomics, 3 Credit  Hours, 6 Quality Points, C
BUS 271 - Business Statistics I, 3 Credit Hours, 9 Quality Points, B
BUS 275 - Principles of Management, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
PHL 206 - Ethics and Society, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
PHS 111 - Physical Science I with Lab, 4 Credit Hours, 16 Quality Points, A
BUS 263 - Legal & Social Environments of Business, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
ENG 271 - World Literature I, 3 Credit Hours, 12 Quality Points, A
MTH 100 - Intermediate College Algebra, 3 Credit Hours, 6 Quality Points, C
PHS 112 - Physical Science II with Lab, 4 Credit Hours, 8 Quality Points, C
HIS 202 - United States History II, 3 Credit Hours, 9 Quality Points, B
MTH 112 - PreCalculus Algebra, 3 Credit Hours, 6 Quality Points, C

I have an Associates in Science.

I really appreciate what you guys do here.  That's absolutely fantastic!

RE: Glad to be here! - dfrecore - 02-21-2019

So I did the TESU and COSC spreadsheets, and then I did a new COSC spreadsheet that I'm playing with (one has costs, the other doesn't but does show the credits in a more check-the-box format that COSC uses).

Anyway, I think COSC may be a better way to go cost-wise, but they are going to require a lot more UL credit than TESU, so that may offset the TESU costs somewhat.

RE: Glad to be here! - jeremyeugenejames - 02-21-2019

Wow, thanks!  I really appreciate that.

So, it looks like the difference is only about $1700, which isn't that bad.

In your opinion, how quickly could I do either? I know it depends on personal study and work, but, I am curious to see what you've noticed for someone that either needed 30 or 39 hours in credit.

Thanks again!

RE: Glad to be here! - allvia - 02-21-2019

Keep in mind that that TESU BSBA program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) - the COSC program is not. This may make a difference to you.

RE: Glad to be here! - jeremyeugenejames - 02-22-2019

(02-21-2019, 02:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So I did the TESU and COSC spreadsheets, and then I did a new COSC spreadsheet that I'm playing with (one has costs, the other doesn't but does show the credits in a more check-the-box format that COSC uses).

Anyway, I think COSC may be a better way to go cost-wise, but they are going to require a lot more UL credit than TESU, so that may offset the TESU costs somewhat.

Thanks for doing this.

I think that you may have included some of the classes I got a "D" in.   Will TESU accept those?

I just didn't want to pay $75 for them to say that it would be a much longer process. 

Thanks!

RE: Glad to be here! - bjcheung77 - 02-22-2019

You're in good shape... D's are accepted except for English Composition and Area of Study (Major/Concentration).

RE: Glad to be here! - dfrecore - 02-23-2019

(02-22-2019, 05:47 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You're in good shape... D's are accepted except for English Composition and Area of Study (Major/Concentration).

Let's clarify since the OP originally asked about any school:

TESU will accept D's and above for most courses, except English Comp I & II, and the Area of Study (C's required there).

COSC will accept D-'s and above for most courses except English Comp I, and the Major & Concentration (C's required there).

So for TESU, you could get a D in one of the Core courses for the BSBA (like International Business or Accounting I), but COSC requires a C in ALL of the courses required for Business (core and major).

EC doesn't state which grades they accept as a policy, you have to look at individual degree programs; it looks like they require a C- or higher for all courses.

-------------------------------

Also, TESU will only let you bring 9cr of courses that are older than 7 years into the AOS.
80cr of CC coursework, max
90cr of a single ACE/NCCRS course provider, max

COSC does not show any age requirements on their website that I can find.
87cr of CC coursework, max
87cr of Study.com credits, max

EC only accepts business credits that are less than 15 years old.
??cr of CC coursework, max (can't find)
84cr of Study.com credits, max