Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Need Help with AAS RN Degree - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Need Help with AAS RN Degree (/Thread-Need-Help-with-AAS-RN-Degree)

Need Help with AAS RN Degree - wlaquan - 03-10-2019

Hello everyone

I am looking to get back into college I decide to take up Nursing Degree (AAS)

can anyone suggest which Clep exams I should take first.

RE: Need Help with AAS RN Degree - dfrecore - 03-10-2019

You would have to see if your school accepted CLEP before doing anything. Then, you have to see which CLEP exams they accept (since not all schools that do accept CLEP accept all CLEP exams).

Once you know if it's an option, then you'd need to put together a degree plan, showing everything you needed to do to get the AAS - and then you could figure out which of the requirements had a CLEP exam, and which your school would accept for that requirement.

THEN, you can choose which CLEP exams you want to take.

RE: Need Help with AAS RN Degree - wlaquan - 03-10-2019

(03-10-2019, 10:24 PM)Thank you dfrecore Wrote: You would have to see if your school accepted CLEP before doing anything.  Then, you have to see which CLEP exams they accept (since not all schools that do accept CLEP accept all CLEP exams).

Once you know if it's an option, then you'd need to put together a degree plan, showing everything you needed to do to get the AAS - and then you could figure out which of the requirements had a CLEP exam, and which your school would accept for that requirement.

THEN, you can choose which CLEP exams you want to take.

RE: Need Help with AAS RN Degree - cookderosa - 03-11-2019

Also, you can't take CLEP exams for credits you already have- so when you say you're going "back" to college, that suggests you might already have some credit. I don't recommend doing any CLEP exams until you're sure you can, and your college has applied your existing credits to your degree plan. Whatever gaps you have left over will make good candidates for possible CLEP tests.

RE: Need Help with AAS RN Degree - wlaquan - 03-11-2019

(03-11-2019, 12:19 PM)Ive been out of college since 2003 so a lot of the  classes of have taken will not count because  material is outdated cookderosa Wrote: Also, you can't take CLEP exams for credits you already have- so when you say you're going "back" to college, that suggests you might already have some credit. I don't recommend doing any CLEP exams until you're sure you can, and your college has applied your existing credits to your degree plan. Whatever gaps you have left over will make good candidates for possible CLEP tests.

RE: Need Help with AAS RN Degree - davewill - 03-11-2019

(03-11-2019, 01:04 PM)wlaquan Wrote: Ive been out of college since 2003 so a lot of the  classes of have taken will not count because  material is outdated 

That's probably not true for most, if not all, of your credits. I would expect them all to transfer, with the possible exception of science courses directly related to your degree. You will get the most help here if you go ahead and lay your cards down on the table. Tell us where you're planning to go to school and what credits you have now.

P.S. Please type your replies completely below the quote boxes instead of where you are now.

RE: Need Help with AAS RN Degree - dfrecore - 03-11-2019

As davewill said, most schools don't expect your credits to be newer - they will take old credits for GE and other stuff (I've transferred my 20-yo credits to multiple schools). With a nursing degree, they MAY want specific courses (usually lab sciences) to be newer than say 5 years old, but they should still take the rest of your credits without a problem.