Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Need help figuring out what to do next - Excelsior College - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Need help figuring out what to do next - Excelsior College (/Thread-Need-help-figuring-out-what-to-do-next-Excelsior-College)

Need help figuring out what to do next - Excelsior College - codyandmaria2002 - 03-12-2019

Hello everyone,

I just received my pre-eliminary review from Excelsior College. I decided to pursuit the Bachelor of Professional Studies - Business and Management which allows me to transfer up to 117 credits into the program. I am attaching the letter I received from them with the list of requirements and also an excel spreadsheet that I put together to help me keep track of what I need to graduate. I was wondering if someone culd look through it and help me determine if this right or if I am off. Also, what do I do next??? Do I start taking classes on Study.com, accumulate credits, and wait until I am ready to transfer them officially to Excelsior? 

I appreciate all the help I can get from you! Thank you so much!!

Maria Smile

RE: Need help figuring out what to do next - Excelsior College - udi - 03-12-2019

(03-12-2019, 12:01 PM)codyandmaria2002 Wrote: Hello everyone,

I just received my pre-eliminary review from Excelsior College. I decided to pursuit the Bachelor of Professional Studies - Business and Management which allows me to transfer up to 117 credits into the program. I am attaching the letter I received from them with the list of requirements and also an excel spreadsheet that I put together to help me keep track of what I need to graduate. I was wondering if someone culd look through it and help me determine if this right or if I am off. Also, what do I do next??? Do I start taking classes on Study.com, accumulate credits, and wait until I am ready to transfer them officially to Excelsior? 

Maria Smile

I would do any Study.com courses close to last because they are so expensive and have the monthly fee. Exelsior takes ACE credits and NCCRS credits from Saylor.org. Have you seen the courses available for college credit there? https://www.saylor.org/credit/#courses

Those cost $0, but you need to pay $25 for ProctorU if you want to take the exam from home. If you have a library or other place close to you that can proctor for free, you could do that, but it's more work for the Saylor people. I would exhaust these options first, but watch your upper-level requirements.

You may be able to get your Ethics requirement, 1 credit for the .66 through their Introduction to Sociology, College Algebra, etc. Saylor does not have any recommended upper level credits now, though. I would double check with your advisor to make sure any courses you choose transfer. Note that some Saylor courses don't offer credit, so make sure you're on the Saylor Direct College Credit page.

Davar Academy, Study.com, Coopersmith, and TECEP exams, etc will help you to get some upper level credits. Luckily, business credits are easier to come by. I would avoid anyone with a monthly fee until free options have been exhausted.

RE: Need help figuring out what to do next - Excelsior College - codyandmaria2002 - 03-12-2019

(03-12-2019, 01:58 PM)udi Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 12:01 PM)codyandmaria2002 Wrote: Hello everyone,

Maria Smile

I would do any Study.com courses close to last because they are so expensive and have the monthly fee. Exelsior takes ACE credits and NCCRS credits from Saylor.org. Have you seen the courses available for college credit there? https://www.saylor.org/credit/#courses

Those cost $0, but you need to pay $25 for ProctorU if you want to take the exam from home. If you have a library or other place close to you that can proctor for free, you could do that, but it's more work for the Saylor people. I would exhaust these options first, but watch your upper-level requirements.

You may be able to get your Ethics requirement, 1 credit for the .66 through their Introduction to Sociology, College Algebra, etc. Saylor does not have any recommended upper level credits now, though. I would double check with your advisor to make sure any courses you choose transfer. Note that some Saylor courses don't offer credit, so make sure you're on the Saylor Direct College Credit page.

Davar Academy, Study.com, Coopersmith, and TECEP exams, etc will help you to get some upper level credits. Luckily, business credits are easier to come by. I would avoid anyone with a monthly fee until free options have been exhausted.

This is very helpful. Thank you so much!

RE: Need help figuring out what to do next - Excelsior College - dfrecore - 03-12-2019

EC has an annual fee, so I would wait until I was much closer to maybe 100-110cr minimum before enrolling. You don't want to pay for a 2nd year if you don't have to.

When someone says that Study.com is "expensive" I would say "relative to..?" They are crazy cheap compared to courses at EC for instance. More expensive than Saylor. But honestly, $100/course is insanely cheap for a college degree.

RE: Need help figuring out what to do next - Excelsior College - codyandmaria2002 - 03-13-2019

(03-12-2019, 11:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: EC has an annual fee, so I would wait until I was much closer to maybe 100-110cr minimum before enrolling.  You don't want to pay for a 2nd year if you don't have to.

When someone says that Study.com is "expensive" I would say "relative to..?"  They are crazy cheap compared to courses at EC for instance.  More expensive than Saylor.  But honestly, $100/course is insanely cheap for a college degree.

Yes, I agree that $100 per course is very cheap. My daugther is working on her AS through highschool and she is using Study.com. I also like the videos better. I am going to try doing a few with Saylor just to try and see how I like it. Thanks so much for your input.  Smile