Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU financial aid refund? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU financial aid refund? (/Thread-TESU-financial-aid-refund)

TESU financial aid refund? - studyandpass5 - 03-12-2019

I need to take 9 credits through TESU, but only 6 of those credits will be covered under financial aid. I emailed the financial aid department and they told me:  Once we award you and you accept your award, you can register for 6 credits of online or guided study classes without payment.  Generally, your eligibility for funding will exceed the cost of 6 credits.  You would receive a refund check for the credit balance in your account approximately 35 days after the start of the term.  You could then use the refund to pay for your 3 credit course in the next available term.

Has anyone had success with actually getting the refund from TESU? I guess it varies from person to person, depending on how much aid you got, but I was curious as to how many of you this actually happened to. That would be great if I could get a refund, as then I could take the dreaded Capstone by itself and not have to worry about juggling two courses at once.

RE: TESU financial aid refund? - cookderosa - 03-12-2019

(03-12-2019, 02:53 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote: I need to take 9 credits through TESU, but only 6 of those credits will be covered under financial aid. I emailed the financial aid department and they told me:  Once we award you and you accept your award, you can register for 6 credits of online or guided study classes without payment.  Generally, your eligibility for funding will exceed the cost of 6 credits.  You would receive a refund check for the credit balance in your account approximately 35 days after the start of the term.  You could then use the refund to pay for your 3 credit course in the next available term.

Has anyone had success with actually getting the refund from TESU? I guess it varies from person to person, depending on how much aid you got, but I was curious as to how many of you this actually happened to. That would be great if I could get a refund, as then I could take the dreaded Capstone by itself and not have to worry about juggling two courses at once.

Yes for sure. That's how MANY (most?) students support themselves in college. They take a student loan to cover living expenses. I rec'd an overage as well though it was from a grant not a loan- but you'll get it back as soon as its processed.

RE: TESU financial aid refund? - mysonx3 - 03-12-2019

I am going to have an overage this term (I took a small federal loan) and I'm wondering how it will be disbursed. At my previous school it was direct deposited, but TESU hasn't asked for bank account info. Will they send a check?

RE: TESU financial aid refund? - mysonx3 - 03-13-2019

(03-12-2019, 06:04 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I am going to have an overage this term (I took a small federal loan) and I'm wondering how it will be disbursed. At my previous school it was direct deposited, but TESU hasn't asked for bank account info. Will they send a check?

Turns out the answer to this is that they will mail a check approximately 35 days after the start of the term.

RE: TESU financial aid refund? - cookderosa - 03-13-2019

(03-13-2019, 12:22 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:04 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I am going to have an overage this term (I took a small federal loan) and I'm wondering how it will be disbursed. At my previous school it was direct deposited, but TESU hasn't asked for bank account info. Will they send a check?

Turns out the answer to this is that they will mail a check approximately 35 days after the start of the term.

Yes I remember getting a check. I'd have to look back and see if I wrote down my numbers, but at the time I did it (2007) I rec'd a full Pell and took out the subsidized student loan which was something like $5000. Of the loan, TESU needed a small amount of it (maybe less than $1000?) and the rest came back to me in a check that I deposited into a savings account. Since I was finishing my UL credit (not starting the process) I added to that savings account every chance I got. On the day I got a bill, I paid my loan in full - but the money was mine if I'd have needed it, I could have used it. If I were starting, I would have used the refunded money to fund my CLEP/DSST/ACE credits.
The way I did it, the math worked perfectly- it might be a different scenario now with tuition being more expensive. It might actually put someone in debt to use the Pell.

RE: TESU financial aid refund? - mysonx3 - 03-13-2019

(03-13-2019, 06:54 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 12:22 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Yes I remember getting a check. I'd have to look back and see if I wrote down my numbers, but at the time I did it (2007) I rec'd a full Pell and took out the subsidized student loan which was something like $5000. Of the loan, TESU needed a small amount of it (maybe less than $1000?) and the rest came back to me in a check that I deposited into a savings account. Since I was finishing my UL credit (not starting the process) I added to that savings account every chance I got. On the day I got a bill, I paid my loan in full - but the money was mine if I'd have needed it, I could have used it. If I were starting, I would have used the refunded money to fund my CLEP/DSST/ACE credits.
The way I did it, the math worked perfectly- it might be a different scenario now with tuition being more expensive. It might actually put someone in debt to use the Pell.

I qualify for the full Pell grant and it's not enough to cover 6 credits per term at TESU, unfortunately (though it obviously makes the tuition much more manageable).

RE: TESU financial aid refund? - vetvso - 03-13-2019

I have done this with TESU and they mail me checks. They have never failed me yet.

RE: TESU financial aid refund? - studyandpass5 - 03-14-2019

Thanks for all the helpful answers everyone!