Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Finance DSST Difficulty - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Finance DSST Difficulty (/Thread-Finance-DSST-Difficulty)

Finance DSST Difficulty - natshar - 03-12-2019

I'm already signed up and ready to take a CLEP tomorrow. 

I was thinking of taking the Principles of Finance DSST as well. I know some stuff about finances because my dad owns his own business and I grew up around that. How difficult is it? Could someone pass it with almost no studying? Does DSST still have the free retake special?

RE: Finance DSST Difficulty - Merlin - 03-12-2019

(03-12-2019, 06:06 PM)natshar Wrote:

I was thinking of taking the Principles of Finance DSST as well. I know some stuff about finances because my dad owns his own business and I grew up around that. How difficult is it? Could someone pass it with almost no studying? Does DSST still have the free retake special?

Can someone pass the DSST with little or not studying? Yes, if they have a strong background in finance. If not, I will assume that most people will need to study at least a little bit.

There doesn't appear to be an official study guide for it since the exam was revised in 2017, but the InstantCert flashcards should be useful. If you have an active Study.com membership you could review the prep materials there as well. Alternatively, you can probably find a cheap finance textbook to review to fill in any gaps. Though if your goal is to take it tomorrow, the IC flashcards and Study.com review would be the faster methods, of course.

RE: Finance DSST Difficulty - natshar - 03-12-2019

(03-12-2019, 06:20 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:06 PM)natshar Wrote:

Can someone pass the DSST with little or not studying? Yes, if they have a strong background in finance. If not, I will assume that most people will need to study at least a little bit.

There doesn't appear to be an official study guide for it since the exam was revised in 2017, but the InstantCert flashcards should be useful. If you have an active Study.com membership you could review the prep materials there as well. Alternatively, you can probably find a cheap finance textbook to review to fill in any gaps. Though if your goal is to take it tomorrow, the IC flashcards and Study.com review would be the faster methods, of course.

I do have an active study.com account. I'm asking because I found the two previous DSST's I've taken (intro to business & HRM) very easy.

RE: Finance DSST Difficulty - dfrecore - 03-12-2019

I think that's one of the harder DSST exams, but that doesn't mean that you can't pass it. It certainly can't hurt to try.

It has a 58% pass rate for FY 2016 for civilians, and 61% for FY 2015 for civilians.