Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Computer Science - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Computer Science (/Thread-Computer-Science--32032)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Computer Science - mgmar22 - 03-14-2019

Hi guys i'm an international student and i was searching for an online program. First i saw the "University of the People" it looks affordable but it only has national accredited diploma. So i was looking for other opportunities that i could apply. Regional accreditation would be great. But i can't afford expensive colleges. If you guys could help me i would be appreciated. Which online colleges do you suggest for a poor international student who wants to study CS?  Smile

RE: Computer Science - sanantone - 03-14-2019

If you want to study computer science and not information technology or information systems, then Thomas Edison State University will probably be your cheapest option. You'll have to mostly utilize ACE and NCCRS-approved courses and other transfer credits as opposed to completing TESU courses in order to keep costs down.

RE: Computer Science - mgmar22 - 03-15-2019

(03-14-2019, 08:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: If you want to study computer science and not information technology or information systems, then Thomas Edison State University will probably be your cheapest option. You'll have to mostly utilize ACE and NCCRS-approved courses and other transfer credits as opposed to completing TESU courses in order to keep costs down.
It still looks quite expensive for me. I don't live in the U.S. So can't afford 10.000 USD a year. UoPeople only cost 4.000 USD in 4 years. I can just afford a programme in that price range. I'm quite poor. I could try to apply for a scholarship but don't think they will accept me. I hope i could complete my education, life is hard.

RE: Computer Science - shadowgem - 03-15-2019

Most of the TESU BS Computer Science degree can be tested out of using alternative credit providers., especially SDC for UL required courses. There are several other providers as well such as DAVAR, SL, Saylor, Sophia ect where you can take most of the General Education requirements as well as many of the AOS requirements. The one course I believe that is still missing from alternative credit provider options in the AOS requirements is Data Structures. Alternative courses usually cost approximately $100 per course and are either self paced or a 1 time exam. 

If you have taken courses with SDC, TESU had made an arrangement with lower tuition for any courses ($1125 per course) you must take through TESU and a  lower residency waiver fee ($2200 paid at the time of graduation application) in lieu of not have taken 16 or more credits in residence at TESU. You can currently transfer in up to 114 credit hours to TESU. You must take both a Cornerstone and the Capstone course at TESU.

Assuming a Data Structures course does not become available while you are working on the rest of your credits for your degree and you were starting from scratch you could complete the degree for just under $10K total for the entire degree. I've listed a rough estimate of costs you can expect below.

$75 application fee (paid when you apply)
$1125 Cornerstone course online TESU (paid when you register for this course)
$1125 Capstone course online TESU (paid when you register for this course)
$1125 Data Structure course online TESU (paid when you register for this course; unless an alternative provider or lower cost credit option can be taken)
$3700 alternative credit courses (just a rough estimate of $100 per course depending on providers you choose to take ACE/NCCRS course from)
$300 graduation fee (paid when you apply for graduation)
$2200 residency waiver fee (paid when you apply for graduation)

(03-15-2019, 09:02 AM)shadowgem Wrote: Most of the TESU BS Computer Science degree can be tested out of using alternative credit providers., especially SDC for UL required courses. There are several other providers as well such as DAVAR, SL, Saylor, Sophia ect where you can take most of the General Education requirements as well as many of the AOS requirements. The one course I believe that is still missing from alternative credit provider options in the AOS requirements is Data Structures. Alternative courses usually cost approximately $100 per course and are either self paced or a 1 time exam. 

If you have taken courses with SDC, TESU had made an arrangement with lower tuition for any courses ($1125 per course) you must take through TESU and a  lower residency waiver fee ($2200 paid at the time of graduation application) in lieu of not have taken 16 or more credits in residence at TESU. You can currently transfer in up to 114 credit hours to TESU. You must take both a Cornerstone and the Capstone course at TESU.

Assuming a Data Structures course does not become available while you are working on the rest of your credits for your degree and you were starting from scratch you could complete the degree for just under $10K total for the entire degree. I've listed a rough estimate of costs you can expect below.

$1125 Data Structure course online TESU (paid when you register for this course; unless an alternative provider or lower cost credit option can be taken)
$3700 alternative credit courses (just a rough estimate of $100 per course depending on providers you choose to take ACE/NCCRS course from)
But there are lots of computer science courses in their website. 
$1125 Capstone course online TESU (paid when you register for this course)
$1125 Data Structure course online TESU 
Those courses don't look enough for graduation. Don't we have to take 120 credits for a BSC degree?

Also thanks a lot for your detailed answer.  Smile

RE: Computer Science - robertsted - 03-15-2019

(03-15-2019, 09:02 AM)shadowgem Wrote: Most of the TESU BS Computer Science degree can be tested out of using alternative credit providers., especially SDC for UL required courses. There are several other providers as well such as DAVAR, SL, Saylor, Sophia ect where you can take most of the General Education requirements as well as many of the AOS requirements. The one course I believe that is still missing from alternative credit provider options in the AOS requirements is Data Structures. Alternative courses usually cost approximately $100 per course and are either self paced or a 1 time exam. 

Thank you for the detailed breakdown of costs involved. As an international student myself I'm in a very similar situation as the OP and would like to pursue the TESU BACS degree. Besides the Data Structures course that cannot be completed with alternative cheap credits, there is another subject Introduction to Programming that can be done affordably via OD but is not available to non-U.S. citizens, do you know of another source of equivalent low-priced provider that I can test out of? I am using the BACS template provided by bjcheung77. TIA

(03-15-2019, 10:00 AM)mgmar22 Wrote:

But there are lots of computer science courses in their website. 
$1125 Capstone course online TESU (paid when you register for this course)
$1125 Data Structure course online TESU 
Those courses don't look enough for graduation. Don't we have to take 120 credits for a BSC degree?

Also thanks a lot for your detailed answer.  Smile

mgmar22 take a look at the thread "Beginners Guide to getting cheap credits" last post by bjcheung77 he attached a BACS subject template with all the required subjects being listed using cheap credits, very helpful in planning your studies.

RE: Computer Science - shadowgem - 03-15-2019

@robert - Are you able to take courses with Straighterline? I think the SL C++ course may fit the computer programming requirement, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I would definitely double check before taking it. 

@mgmar22 - I agree with robert's advice above. Take a look at some of the alternative credit providers and the spreadsheet sample bjcheung77 has provided. It will help you understand better how and which alternative courses will map into the TESU BSCS degree plan. After you have had a chance to review that information it should be a little more clear. With careful planning, and the excellent help from all of the forum members here, you can significantly reduce your costs and earn an RA degree in Computer Science.  Smile

(03-15-2019, 10:33 AM)shadowgem Wrote: @robert - Are you able to take courses with Straighterline? I think the SL C++ course may fit the computer programming requirement, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I would definitely double check before taking it. 

@mgmar22 - I agree with robert's advice above. Take a look at some of the alternative credit providers and the spreadsheet sample bjcheung77 has provided. It will help you understand better how and which alternative courses will map into the TESU BSCS degree plan. After you have had a chance to review that information it should be a little more clear. With careful planning, and the excellent help from all of the forum members here, you can significantly reduce your costs and earn an RA degree in Computer Science.  Smile
@shadowgem @robert really apprecited for your helps. 
I checked that thread it looks more clear now. But i should learn how many years does it takes? I'll check that too.  Smile

RE: Computer Science - Merlin - 03-15-2019

(03-15-2019, 10:33 AM)shadowgem Wrote: @robert - Are you able to take courses with Straighterline? I think the SL C++ course may fit the computer programming requirement, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I would definitely double check before taking it. 

FYI, it does not meet that requirement because it doesn't come in as an Intro to Programming course, but rather a programming language course. Currently, only the online alt.ed. provider course that meets the BACS Intro to Programming requirement is the one from OnlineDegree.com. If you cannot take that, then you'll need to find another means to meet that requirement (just like data structures). Both of these can be taken from TESU directly, but there are other online schools (community colleges, for example) where you can take them which are cheaper than TESU.

RE: Computer Science - MNomadic - 03-15-2019

Just thought I'd mention this course:
https://ea.asu.edu/courses/introduction-to-programming-cse-110

The ASU Earned Admission/Global Freshman Academy introduction to programming course is $400. Not the cheapest but certainly better than taking it at TESU.