Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Waiving foundation courses - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Waiving foundation courses (/Thread-Waiving-foundation-courses)

Pages: 1 2

Waiving foundation courses - Imbanewbie - 03-22-2019

the graduate admissions is asking to take some foundation courses. There are introduction accounting and business law. I do not have accounting major nor business degree, but my current job responsibilities needs to work related accounting and business related law. I am trying to talk to admission. The first try, they reject it. What should I do in this case?

RE: Waiving foundation courses - ThatBankDude - 03-22-2019

Some programs are going to have leveling courses in which they will not waive without a business degree. This is done so in an effort to give you a foundation to build upon in those particular subject areas. Honestly, I am not sure any program would waive them but there are plenty of programs that do not require them.

RE: Waiving foundation courses - davewill - 03-22-2019

I don't see them just waiving them. See if they will accept ACE credit for them. You might have to get them put on a Big3 transcript for them to do so. This is one of those cases where credit banking can actually work. If they say it just has to appear on a college transcript, that's a good sign.

If ACE credit is out, they might accept the Business Law CLEP or the CLEP or DSST Financial accounting tests.

Otherwise, you'll have to take them at an actual college.

RE: Waiving foundation courses - Imbanewbie - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 12:12 PM)davewill Wrote: I don't see them just waiving them. See if they will accept ACE credit for them. You might have to get them put on a Big3 transcript for them to do so. This is one of those cases where credit banking can actually work. If they say it just has to appear on a college transcript, that's a good sign.

If ACE credit is out, they might accept the Business Law CLEP or the CLEP or DSST Financial accounting tests.

Otherwise, you'll have to take them at an actual college.

I resubmit for approval again with more detail about my responsability and courses I took training with my current company, let hope they accept and waive the foundation class.

(03-22-2019, 08:16 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Some programs are going to have leveling courses in which they will not waive without a business degree. This is done so in an effort to give you a foundation to build upon in those particular subject areas. Honestly, I am not sure any program would waive them but there are plenty of programs that do not require them.

ok good. I will see my resubmitting for approval again. 

Do you need to take some foundation courses if you do not have business degree? Can you share experience with the Southeastern Oklahoma State University online MBA program? What do you think about this program? What is the academic pressure and workload at Southeastern Oklahoma State University online MBA? Do you have good professor to take some of the Online MBA? Can you send me message with some of good recommendation professor? I also am looking for the Missouri state university which it is affordable too.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or tips y'all might have.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the John Massey School of Business at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. The academic pressure is about what you would expect from an AACSB accredited program and the workload is manageable if you are capable of managing your time appropriately. Each professor I have had has been very good at leading the course and answering questions that one may have. Overall, it is a great program and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone looking to pursue a MBA online.

RE: Waiving foundation courses - Imbanewbie - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 02:50 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the John Massey School of Business at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. The academic pressure is about what you would expect from an AACSB accredited program and the workload is manageable if you are capable of managing your time appropriately. Each professor I have had has been very good at leading the course and answering questions that one may have. Overall, it is a great program and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone looking to pursue a MBA online.

Do you need to take some foundation courses if you do not have business degree for Southeastern Oklahoma State University?

Yes you do.

RE: Waiving foundation courses - Merlin - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 02:55 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 02:50 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the John Massey School of Business at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. The academic pressure is about what you would expect from an AACSB accredited program and the workload is manageable if you are capable of managing your time appropriately. Each professor I have had has been very good at leading the course and answering questions that one may have. Overall, it is a great program and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone looking to pursue a MBA online.

Do you need to take some foundation courses if you do not have business degree for Southeastern Oklahoma State University?

I'm pretty sure that most colleges will expect you to come into an MBA with a business degree, or if not, they will expect you to take foundational courses (if you didn't take them in undergrad) to make sure you're prepared for the coursework in the MBA. Many of the MBA courses build on existing concepts from undergraduate business courses, so it makes sense.

RE: Waiving foundation courses - cookderosa - 03-23-2019

My husband had a degree in business but still didn't have one of the leveling courses for his MBA (a stats course). They gave him the option of taking it on his own and transferring it in, or through the graduate school directly. Since he had a tuition benefit, he decided to take it through the school directly, but this was at graduate pricing, so if we were paying out of pocket it would have been a LOT cheaper to use the community college or DSST.

RE: Waiving foundation courses - Imbanewbie - 03-26-2019

(03-23-2019, 10:23 AM)cookderosa Wrote: My husband had a degree in business but still didn't have one of the leveling courses for his MBA (a stats course). They gave him the option of taking it on his own and transferring it in, or through the graduate school directly.  Since he had a tuition benefit, he decided to take it through the school directly, but this was at graduate pricing, so if we were paying out of pocket it would have been a LOT cheaper to use the community college or DSST.
I agree with you, I resubmit for review the credit waiver. Let hope they can waive the law courses