Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: Pierpont and other Associates Degrees (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Pierpont-and-other-Associates-Degrees)
+--- Thread: Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? (/Thread-Still-no-cheap-Associates-anymore-right)

Pages: 1 2

Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - jsd - 04-20-2019

A buddy of mine with an unrelated Bachelors and Masters (in GIS) is looking to get an associates in Computer Science to boost his career change opportunities (he has professional CS experience, he's not going into it blind). 

He's asking about an associates in CS, and is not in a state where he can do this cheaply. Are there better CS specific opportunities for him to do this quickly? A WGU  bachelors is an option, but seeing as how his gen ed is done, an AA/AS in CS could just be 5 courses or so at a community college, whereas a BS at WGU is probably a lengthier process and overkill. He just needs a checkbox sort of thing.

He has tuition reimbursement for $4k/yr through his employer (but not for alt-credit). Doesn't need a Bachelors/Masters, Associates is enough to boost the resume. 

Thoughts?

Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - posabsolute - 04-20-2019

I guess you written off TESU? It would be pretty easy to get..

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

RE: Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - jsd - 04-20-2019

Don't the numbers make the cost of a TESU associates pretty absurd these days?

RE: Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - Merlin - 04-20-2019

(04-20-2019, 04:39 PM)jsd Wrote: Don't the numbers make the cost of a TESU associates pretty absurd these days?

The only cost savings on an associates degree over a bachelors degree at TESU is the cost of the capstone. The rest of the costs are identical.

The only way an associates degree is worth the cost, in my opinion, is if you're working towards a bachelors degree and earn the associates along the way.

That was my thinking. He's just looking for resume padding. He's already got the MS degree.

RE: Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - sanantone - 04-20-2019

University of the People...

Which state is he in?

RE: Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - mysonx3 - 04-20-2019

If his tuition reimbursement would cover the residency waiver (not sure if this would be the case) then the only cost would be obtaining whatever credits he's currently lacking, which could be done very cheaply

RE: Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - Sacricolist - 04-20-2019

WGU is mentioned a lot but they offer a BS in Computer Science with Certifications as well.  Since he already has experience in the field he might be able to transfer 90 credits and complete the remaining courses quickly and have a degree that meets his needs.

Also Fort Hays State University offers a inexpensive online BA that may fit the bill similarly.  

I realize these are not associate degrees but they are cheap BA degrees.

(04-20-2019, 04:56 PM)sanantone Wrote: University of the People...

Which state is he in?

Washington, but just recently moved there and might not qualify for in state tuition yet

RE: Still no cheap Associates anymore, right? - sanantone - 04-20-2019

(04-20-2019, 07:15 PM)jsd Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 04:56 PM)sanantone Wrote: University of the People...

Which state is he in?

Washington, but just recently moved there and might not qualify for in state tuition yet
It'll be a year before he qualifies for in-state tuition. Does he need the degree right now?

These are three options I know of that will be below $4,000.

Central Texas College: Associate in computer science. Will need to complete 15 credits at school to meet 25% residency requirement. School accepts CLEP, DSST, ACE, and Uexcels. $235 per credit hour.

South Texas College: Associate in computer science. Will need 16 credits to meet residency requirement. $200 per credit hour.

Clovis Community College: Associate in computer information systems. Don't know residency requirement, but it's probably at least 25%. $111 per credit hour plus fees.

I don't know if the Dallas Community College District has an online associate's in computer science, but the cost per credit hour is $229 with the distance learning fee.