Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! (/Thread-Transferring-credits-towards-a-bachelor-help)

Pages: 1 2

Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! - Supreme1995 - 04-30-2019

Hey everyone. My situation is a bit different, I attended a county college in NJ and got 49 credits (criminal justice degree). I then did 9 credits in NYC at a 4 year school. I attended 2 police academies (one in NY and one in LA). Per John Jay, the NY Academy should give me about 36 credits, a few in law , psc classes, criminal justice and police and diversity. The LA academy isn’t broken down anywhere anywhere and per college of the canyons its a total of 24 credits. i want to know how to get the most credits transferred and be as close as possible to getting my bachelors. I was thinking of doing it at TESU but was looking to get info on how to get my bachelors asap (promotion/advancement). I don’t care what care what my degree is in.

I wasn’t the best student but here you go
2 year school
HED contento health issues 150 - C
SPA- elementary Spanish 2 122 C
Intro to sociology B
Social psych c
Eng comp 2 122 D
POS u.s national govt 220 B
POS u.s state and local govt 201 B-
Soc into to criminology140 C
SPA elementary Spanish 121 A
CJU criminal justice 1 123 B
ENG English comp 1 121 C
POL police admin 201 C+
PSY intro to psych 123 C
SPE public speaking fund 121 A
SSD student success 101 B

4 year school
his 1201 1896 history up to present D
FA 1401 (music of western world) C
CJ 2080 rights of the accused C

St Francis college took 42 of my 2year school and I did 9 while I was there resulting in a total of 51. Curious if TESU or an online college will take the 45ish from 2 year school + 9 and academy ones.

NY Academy 36 credits
LA Academy 24

RE: Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! - dfrecore - 04-30-2019

You might want to edit your post, as it's almost impossible to read.

First, you didn't say what degree you wanted. Please clarify (any degree, a test-out-able degree like BALS or BSBA, or a CJ degree).

TESU doesn't take Shmoop, so that's out.

Do you live in NY or NJ? If you're in NY, you may want to look at Excelsior, since it's in-state. If you're in NJ, then TESU is what you should look at. If you just want any degree, and you don't care about in-state, COSC may be your best choice.

You might also look at APU's CJ degree through their competency-based Momentum program (you'd have to bring in an AA/AS to start). COSC has a fairly inexpensive AA that you could get.

RE: Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! - Supreme1995 - 04-30-2019

(04-30-2019, 11:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You might want to edit your post, as it's almost impossible to read.

First, you didn't say what degree you wanted.  Please clarify (any degree, a test-out-able degree like BALS or BSBA, or a CJ degree).

TESU doesn't take Shmoop, so that's out.

Do you live in NY or NJ?  If you're in NY, you may want to look at Excelsior, since it's in-state.  If you're in NJ, then TESU is what you should look at.  If you just want any degree, and you don't care about in-state, COSC may be your best choice.

You might also look at APU's CJ degree through their competency-based Momentum program (you'd have to bring in an AA/AS to start).  COSC has a fairly inexpensive AA that you could get.

Thanks. I fixed it. So as long as I get a bachelors ( 4 year degree) it can be in anything. Basically looking to get a 4 year degree ASAP for work reasons. 
TESU is apparently good from what I heard. I don’t live in nj anymore although my parents do and I could use their residence?

I think your best bet may be COSC - if you get the BS in Liberal Studies, you can bring in 60cr of non-liberal-arts courses (TESU will only let you bring in 27cr). They are also about $2000 cheaper than TESU.

You should list your courses in this way:

School #1 (RA? CC or 4yr? quarter or semester?)
course #, course name, # of credits, grade if less than a C

School #2 (RA? CC or 4yr? quarter or semester?)

Etc.

That way we can see your actual coursework and see where it may fit best.

(04-30-2019, 12:03 PM)Ok dfrecore Wrote: I think your best bet may be COSC - if you get the BS in Liberal Studies, you can bring in 60cr of non-liberal-arts courses (TESU will only let you bring in 27cr).  They are also about $2000 cheaper than TESU.

Etc.

Ok I’ll have it broken down shortly. 
I spoke w TESU and they said I can do my 49 from county college, my academy ones can count as life experience or actual courses depending on where they fit as well as their law enforcement credit eval they already have set up. Since I only did 49 at a 2 year school and say my LA one falls under that same category since college of canyons is a 2 yr school that leaves me w 80 credits + my 9 from NY school.

Couldn’t I do Shmoop and then transfer to ace and then TESU

(04-30-2019, 12:06 PM)Supreme1995 Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 12:03 PM)Ok dfrecore Wrote: I think your best bet may be COSC - if you get the BS in Liberal Studies, you can bring in 60cr of non-liberal-arts courses (TESU will only let you bring in 27cr).  They are also about $2000 cheaper than TESU.

Etc.

I spoke w TESU and they said I can do my 49 from county college, my academy ones can count as life experience or actual courses depending on where they fit as well as their law enforcement credit eval they already have set up. Since I only did 49 at a 2 year school and say my LA one falls under that same category since college of canyons is a 2 yr school that leaves me w 80 credits + my 9 from NY school.

TESU won't take Shmoop any longer.  But there are MANY other ways to get credit besides Shmoop.

(04-30-2019, 12:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 12:03 PM)Ok dfrecore Wrote: I think your best bet may be COSC - if you get the BS in Liberal Studies, you can bring in 60cr of non-liberal-arts courses (TESU will only let you bring in 27cr).  They are also about $2000 cheaper than TESU.

Etc.

TESU won't take Shmoop any longer.  But there are MANY other ways to get credit besides Shmoop.

Oh ok. I’ll post my classes taken shortly, waiting to get my transcript so it can be exact. What are other ways? How quickly online can you do 20-30 credits?

RE: Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! - MNomadic - 04-30-2019

(04-30-2019, 12:23 PM)Supreme1995 Wrote:

Etc.

Oh ok. I’ll post my classes taken shortly, waiting to get my transcript so it can be exact. What are other ways? How quickly online can you do 20-30 credits?
If you're looking only at online, theres: onlinedegree.com, study.com, straighterline, Sophia, saylor, ed4credit, ALEKs, TEEX, coopersmith, davar, CSMlearn, and soon to be instantcert credit. There's a handful of others as well.

Most of those can be done for about $100 per class or less(some of them for significantly less).

Depending on what credits you need you can probably finish all the rest of your courses through 1 or 2 of the sources I mentioned in just a few months. You'll still need to do the capstone and cornerstone at either COSC or TESU. 

Are you aiming more for speed or cheap?

I wasn’t the best student but here you go
2 year school
HED 150 - C
SPA 122 C
PSY 222 B
Social psych c
Eng 122 D
POS 220 B
POS 201 B-
Soc 140 C
SPA 121 A
CJU 123 B
ENG 121 C
POL 201 C+
PSY 123 C
SPE 121 A
SSD 101 B

4 year school
his 1201 D
FA 1401 (music of western world) C

NY Academy 36 credits
LA Academy 24

(04-30-2019, 12:45 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 12:23 PM)Supreme1995 Wrote:

Etc.

If you're looking only at online, theres: onlinedegree.com, study.com, straighterline, Sophia, saylor, ed4credit, ALEKs, TEEX, coopersmith, davar, CSMlearn, and soon to be instantcert credit. There's a handful of others as well.

Most of those can be done for about $100 per class or less(some of them for significantly less).

Depending on what credits you need you can probably finish all the rest of your courses through 1 or 2 of the sources I mentioned in just a few months. You'll still need to do the capstone and cornerstone at either COSC or TESU. 

Are you aiming more for speed or cheap?
speed as well as how difficult.. cheap isn’t really a priority as much as speed. . I’ve read some classes are basically given to you and some you’re busting your butt studying and not knowing what’s going on. Realistically I’d like to have it by December 2019. I’m more concerned on how my transfer credits would line up. I can be as low as 70 completed or as high as 100+ if they’re taken in correctly I feel 

RE: Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! - MNomadic - 04-30-2019

(04-30-2019, 12:49 PM)Supreme1995 Wrote: I wasn’t the best student but here you go
2 year school
HED 150 - C
SPA 122 C
PSY 222 B
Social psych c
Eng 122 D
POS 220 B
POS 201 B-
Soc 140 C
SPA 121 A
CJU 123 B
ENG 121 C
POL 201 C+
PSY 123 C
SPE 121 A
SSD 101 B

4 year school
his 1201 D
FA 1401 (music of  western world) C

NY Academy 36 credits
LA Academy 24
If you can, list the names of the courses too.

Since your main priority is speed(and ease) and you will probably need most of your upper level credits, study.com will probably be where you get the majority of your classes(you could probably get all your classes through them if you wanted, besides, cornerstone and capstone).