Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU BSIT degree plan - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: TESU BSIT degree plan (/Thread-TESU-BSIT-degree-plan)

Pages: 1 2

TESU BSIT degree plan - mariorun - 05-07-2019

I've worked in IT for about 7 years and now need a degree in the field. I need it just for the paper. Unfortunately, a BSBA with concentration in IT doesn't look like it'll cut it so I'm left with BSIT or BACS.  I'm starting with 0 credits. 

I haven't touched math in years and it was never a strong subject so I'd like to avoid it as much as possible, which is why I choose the BSIT. 

After reading around the forums I found a degree plan that had been made last year by some kind person (dfcore?) but some courses are no longer available after looking at the websites and a couple may need to be taken locally (data structures being one). 

Priority is speed>ease>cost for me. 

Could anyone please offer any suggestions/alternatives as far as the degree plan goes? 

Thank you! Shy

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - Merlin - 05-07-2019

(05-07-2019, 01:20 AM)mariorun Wrote: I've worked in IT for about 7 years and now need a degree in the field. I need it just for the paper. Unfortunately, a BSBA with concentration in IT doesn't look like it'll cut it so I'm left with BSIT or BACS.  I'm starting with 0 credits. 

I haven't touched math in years and it was never a strong subject so I'd like to avoid it as much as possible, which is why I choose the BSIT. 

After reading around the forums I found a degree plan that had been made last year by some kind person (dfcore?) but some courses are no longer available after looking at the websites and a couple may need to be taken locally (data structures being one). 

Priority is speed>ease>cost for me. 

Could anyone please offer any suggestions/alternatives as far as the degree plan goes? 

Thank you! Shy

With all the changes that TESU is making, we're not really suggesting them as much anymore, particularly for IT, business, or teaching degrees. Of course, if you're a foreign student then WGU isn't an option. In which case COSC or Excelsior is a better option than TESU in most cases.

If I were you, I'd look at the WGU BSIT rather than the TESU option. For U.S. students, WGU will be just as fast (if not faster) than TESU, just as easy (it's almost the same level of work), and much cheaper than TESU. Both provide a regionally accredited BSIT degree.

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - mariorun - 05-08-2019

Thanks for the feedback Merlin. I've looked over the course and it looks like only 1 of the math classes (Finite Math) seem to be a difficult one to find a transfer for.
Other than that I think I'll probably go with WGU.

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - akr680 - 05-08-2019

CSM Learn course will transfer to WGU - C459 Introduction to Probability and Statistics

fulfills a general education requirement for business and information technology degrees

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - adrianeraldo - 05-08-2019

I'm on the same boat, but I'm Canadian so no WGU for me.
Today I spoke to my advisor and now it seems that with the new regulations it's going to be more expensive.
The first mandatory course is SOS-110, which replaces the old TES-100. That's around $1100.
Then Introduction to Programming, this one is a pain because only OD has it, and OD is only for US Citizens or Permanent residents. So that's another $1100 for me.
Third the capstone, another $1100
Fourth, Data Structures, not found anywhere else as of May 2019, that's another $1100.
On top of that is the residency fee, another $2200.

But it looks like is cheaper just to add another 3 credit course plus 1 more to make 16, that would be 16 credits at $366 each = $5856 instead of doing 12 at $4392+$2200=$6592
Note: the residency is forgiven if you take 16 credits, which is a total of $366 * 16 = $5856

I wonder how much it would be for the same courses at Excelsior?

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - dfrecore - 05-08-2019

(05-08-2019, 03:59 PM)adrianeraldo Wrote: I'm on the same boat, but I'm Canadian so no WGU for me.
Today I spoke to my advisor and now it seems that with the new regulations it's going to be more expensive.
The first mandatory course is SOS-110, which replaces the old TES-100. That's around $1100.
Then Introduction to Programming, this one is a pain because only OD has it, and OD is only for US Citizens or Permanent residents. So that's another $1100 for me.
Fourth, Data Structures, not found anywhere else as of May 2019, that's another $1100.

But it looks like is cheaper just to add another 3 credit course plus 1 more to make 16, that would be 16 credits at $366 each = $5856 instead of doing 12 at $4392+$2200=$6592
Note: the residency is forgiven if you take 16 credits, which is a total of $366 * 16 = $5856

There are other competency-based options for you if you can't do WGU:

Capella Flexpath has a BSIT, with several different concentrations, $2300/12-week term
Univ of Wisconsin Flex program has a BS in Info Science & Technology for $2250/3-mo term
Northern Arizona Univ Personalized Learning has a BS/BA in Computer Info Tech for $3000/6-mo term
Brandman MyPath has a BSIT for $3200/24-week term
APU Momentum has a BSIT for $2500/16-week term

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - adrianeraldo - 05-09-2019

Thanks but I'm not sure if I could do those flexipath, what I know is that you can do as many courses as you can within a time limit, but not over a pre-determined amount of credits per tri-mester. Am I right? I need 98 credits so for me it would take me at least 18 months, so it wouldn't be cost-effective. But maybe I'm wrong.
For now I'm just going to do the free courses, perhaps TESU changes the rules again...
Also, those flexipath have a maximum amount of credits that you can bring in. My plan is to use Study/SL/Saylor etc to complete the courses that I can, and take the ones that are not available throufh TESU. So I'm looking at around $6000~$8000 for the BACS at TESU.

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - akr680 - 05-09-2019

(05-09-2019, 07:20 AM)adrianeraldo Wrote: Thanks but I'm not sure if I could do those flexipath, what I know is that you can do as many courses as you can within a time limit, but not over a pre-determined amount of credits per tri-mester. Am I right? I need 98 credits so for me it would take me at least 18 months, so it wouldn't be cost-effective. But maybe I'm wrong.
For now I'm just going to do the free courses, perhaps TESU changes the rules again...
Also, those flexipath have a maximum amount of credits that you can bring in. My plan is to use Study/SL/Saylor etc to complete the courses that I can, and take the ones that are not available throufh TESU. So I'm looking at around $6000~$8000 for the BACS at TESU.

Don't they accept TEEX/csm learn / ALKES credits any more? 

Will they accept WGU academy credits(Through straighterline - ACE)? 

I'm preparing for BSBA CIS

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - udi - 05-09-2019

(05-08-2019, 03:59 PM)adrianeraldo Wrote: I'm on the same boat, but I'm Canadian so no WGU for me.

Someone recently said that the Basic Programming CBE course ITS320S (comptency based education for $250) at CSU will satisfy the intro to programming at TESU for foreigners, but double check. If you do, also ask whether that comes in at 300 upper level because people have reported different transfer equivalencies.

https://csuglobal.edu/undergraduate/alternative-credit-options/self-study-assessments

RE: TESU BSIT degree plan - Leedeedee - 05-09-2019

(05-08-2019, 03:59 PM)adrianeraldo Wrote: Fourth, Data Structures, not found anywhere else as of May 2019, that's another $1100.
Is Discrete Structures the same as Data Structures?  If so then Westcott does this as a self paced course, which you get on a Brandman University transcript if you pass.  It's still $728 so you won't save a lot but self paced is better for most people on here. 

https://westcottcourses.com/course.php?creditType=BR&course=Discrete%20Structures