Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
BALS UL using SDC - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: BALS UL using SDC (/Thread-BALS-UL-using-SDC)

BALS UL using SDC - Whippy - 05-12-2019

Hey guys I need some assistance on the UL's for a BALS no concentration, is it possible to do them all through Study.com? I've lurked a little on here and wrote down the following, not sure if they're still applicable or not.

Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology
History 311: The Holocaust & World War II
Sociology 305: Sociology of Work
English 305: Advanced Technical Writing
History 306: The American Civil War Era
Criminal Justice 306: Research Methods in Criminal Justice

Not sure which of these work or don't work. If somebody could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it, thank you!

RE: BALS UL using SDC - ReyMysterioso - 05-12-2019

I think you might be able to do a couple business classes to fill up the general overall UL requirement even though they're not Liberal Arts. Not 100% sure on that though.

RE: BALS UL using SDC - zzzz24 - 05-12-2019

Pretty much anything 300 level on SDC will work for UL, but you do need to make sure they are ACE/NCCRS approved and will work with the particular degree.
Business courses will work if they are communication based, such as Leadership comm, organizational comm.

I am assuming Criminal Justice 306: Research Methods in Criminal Justice is a newer course?
Not sure about that one, but I took juvenile justice process. The rest of the courses you listed will work for sure.

RE: BALS UL using SDC - dfrecore - 05-13-2019

These should all work, but I would check with TESU if you're not sure:

BUS 305: Leadership Communication
BUS 313: Organizational Communication
BUS 323: Organizational Theory
BUS 324: Managerial Communication
ENGL 305: Advanced Technical Writing
CJ 305: The Juvenile Justice System
HIS 306: The American Civil War Era
HIS 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War
HIS 311: The Holocaust and WWII
PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
PSY 310: Psychology of Personality
PSY 312: History & Systems of Psychology
COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design
COMPSCI 303: Database Management
BUS 303: Management Info Systems

Also, SOC 305: Sociology of Work is not UL.

RE: BALS UL using SDC - zzzz24 - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 09:01 AM)dfrecore Wrote: These should all work, but I would check with TESU if you're not sure:

SOC 305 was UL for me, comes in as SOC-362

RE: BALS UL using SDC - mysonx3 - 05-13-2019

Apologies if you've addressed this in another thread, but what school?

RE: BALS UL using SDC - bjcheung77 - 05-13-2019

@Whippy - Have you applied to the Big 3 or WGU yet? The courses you have listed all depend on the school accepting alternative credits from ACE/NCCRS providers. You may want to get in contact with the school and ask specifically if these courses would meet their UL requirements for the degree of your choice.

Note: The Big 3 look mainly at the ACE recommendation for LL/UL credit, however having said that; some courses will come in LL or UL depending on their articulation agreements with the provider.

For example, a course you haven't listed, which I would recommend is the Study.com HIS 308 - Causes & Effects of Vietnam War will come into TESU as HIS-351 History of Vietnam War even though in ACE, it's recommended as LL. If you're going to COSC, this comes in as a LL History Elective.

Another example from above is the Study.com Sociology 305 - Sociology of Work will come into TESU as SOC-362 Sociology of Work, even though ACE recommendation is showing as LL. If you're going to COSC, this comes in UL as SOC 449 - Social Problems.

Study.com & TESU Transfer Tab: https://study.com/directory/school/Thomas_Edison_State_University.html#transferTab
Study.com & COSC Transfer Tab: https://study.com/directory/school/Charter_Oak_State_College.html#transferTab

RE: BALS UL using SDC - mysonx3 - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 11:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For example, a course you haven't listed, which I would recommend is the Study.com HIS 308 - Causes & Effects of Vietnam War will come into TESU as HIS-351 History of Vietnam War even though in ACE, it's recommended as LL. If you're going to COSC, this comes in as a LL History Elective.

This course comes in as UL at TESU because of its NCCRS recommendation. Do we know for certain that it's LL at COSC?

RE: BALS UL using SDC - dfrecore - 05-14-2019

(05-13-2019, 10:16 AM)zzzz24 Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 09:01 AM)dfrecore Wrote: These should all work, but I would check with TESU if you're not sure:

SOC 305 was UL for me, comes in as SOC-362

You're right, I had that column hidden on my spreadsheet!  Sorry!

(05-13-2019, 11:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For example, a course you haven't listed, which I would recommend is the Study.com HIS 308 - Causes & Effects of Vietnam War will come into TESU as HIS-351 History of Vietnam War even though in ACE, it's recommended as LL.  If you're going to COSC, this comes in as a LL History Elective.

Another example from above is the Study.com Sociology 305 - Sociology of Work will come into TESU as SOC-362 Sociology of Work, even though ACE recommendation is showing as LL.  If you're going to COSC, this comes in UL as SOC 449 - Social Problems.

Study.com & TESU Transfer Tab: https://study.com/directory/school/Thomas_Edison_State_University.html#transferTab
Study.com & COSC Transfer Tab: https://study.com/directory/school/Charter_Oak_State_College.html#transferTab

HIS 308 is UL, and comes in as such at both TESU and COSC.

Same with Sociology of Work, it's UL and comes in as UL at both.