Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Study.com Intro to Programming - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Study.com Intro to Programming (/Thread-Study-com-Intro-to-Programming)

Study.com Intro to Programming - armstrongsubero - 05-18-2019

Now finished the Intro to programming at Study.com. its was an excellent course. It had just enough details without being to verbose. It covered basically everything you would expect in an intro to programming course. Consistent and clear. Excellent structure and progression. I recommend it! Looking at an A after my video is reviewed. Took me about 11 hours of total work time on the course.

RE: Study.com Intro to Programming - MNomadic - 05-18-2019

Was there a project or just quizzes and proctored final?

RE: Study.com Intro to Programming - saraholson - 05-18-2019

I don't see a project listed in the course.

Please let us know what it comes in as at TESU once you transfer it in. I am reluctant to use my exams for any of these new courses when it's a roll of the dice as to what's accepted and what it transfers in as

RE: Study.com Intro to Programming - bluebooger - 05-18-2019

(05-18-2019, 03:09 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote:  Looking at an A after my video is reviewed. 

what does that mean ? 

you had to record yourself doing a project ? explaining concepts ? 
was the course mostly java or mostly pseudo language ?
how much time was spent on flowcharts and diagrams ?
what kind of questions were on the proctored exam (not looking for exact questions - that would be cheating -- just a general idea) 
something like -- generate 10 random integers and sort them using merge sort ?

It covered basically everything you would expect in an intro to programming course.  

Harvard University's CS50 Introduction to Computer Science use the C, python and sql, no pseudocode, no flowcharts, no diagrams 
it is a complete beginner's course but moves at a fast pace and you end up doing linked lists, hash tables merge sort and binary trees  

RE: Study.com Intro to Programming - NolaRice - 05-18-2019

(05-18-2019, 04:52 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 03:09 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote:  Looking at an A after my video is reviewed. 

what does that mean ? 

you had to record yourself doing a project ? explaining concepts ? 
was the course mostly java or mostly pseudo language ?
how much time was spent on flowcharts and diagrams ?
what kind of questions were on the proctored exam (not looking for exact questions - that would be cheating -- just a general idea) 
something like -- generate 10 random integers and sort them using merge sort ?

It covered basically everything you would expect in an intro to programming course.  

Harvard University's CS50 Introduction to Computer Science use the C, python and sql, no pseudocode, no flowcharts, no diagrams 
it is a complete beginner's course but moves at a fast pace and you end up doing linked lists, hash tables merge sort and binary trees  

I just took the final for this course. I think the OP is referring to the proctored video of you taking the exam. SDC records people taking finals to ensure there is no cheating, and it's my impression that the videos are reviewed afterwards by a real person.

The course was mostly Java. I didn't see a lot of flowcharts or diagrams. Honestly, the questions on the final are similar to the practice tests. If you do well on the practice test, you will do well on the final.

Another bonus - looks like half of my quizzes are now marked as optional on my next course, Data Structures.

This was a great course!