Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
SL Micro is horrible - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: SL Micro is horrible (/Thread-SL-Micro-is-horrible)

Pages: 1 2

SL Micro is horrible - saraholson - 06-01-2019

Just wanted to drop by to say.... omg SL microeconomics is HORRIBLE. I got the version with fewer quizzes. But it's still awful because the book really doesn't show you how to solve a lot of the calculations you find in the quizzes. I am getting the lowest quiz scores ever. This book reads like an 1800s textbook you would find in an antique store. AUUUGGHHHHHHH

RE: SL Micro is horrible - Supermind - 06-01-2019

Try using Saylor Microeconomics to learn the concepts, may be? I kind of liked it, except that the course felt too long. I never completed it, but it was a good learning experience.

RE: SL Micro is horrible - saraholson - 06-01-2019

(06-01-2019, 01:10 AM)Supermind Wrote: Try using Saylor Microeconomics to learn the concepts, may be? I kind of liked it, except that the course felt too long. I never completed it, but it was a good learning experience.

yeah i have a study.com sub, so i tried using that material. still does not really align with how the questions are set up though. ah well, if i fail it i can take it somewhere else

RE: SL Micro is horrible - Merlin - 06-01-2019

(06-01-2019, 12:50 AM)saraholson Wrote: Just wanted to drop by to say.... omg SL microeconomics is HORRIBLE. I got the version with fewer quizzes. But it's still awful because the book really doesn't show you how to solve a lot of the calculations you find in the quizzes. I am getting the lowest quiz scores ever. This book reads like an 1800s textbook you would find in an antique store. AUUUGGHHHHHHH

I took micro and macro via Study.com because I had read previously that the SL versions were terrible. I found the SDC versions to be well done and pretty straightforward.

(06-01-2019, 05:30 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 12:50 AM)saraholson Wrote: Just wanted to drop by to say.... omg SL microeconomics is HORRIBLE. I got the version with fewer quizzes. But it's still awful because the book really doesn't show you how to solve a lot of the calculations you find in the quizzes. I am getting the lowest quiz scores ever. This book reads like an 1800s textbook you would find in an antique store. AUUUGGHHHHHHH

I took micro and macro via Study.com because I had read previously that the SL versions were terrible. I found the SDC versions to be well done and pretty straightforward.

I may need to call SL and see if i can exchange my course for a different one.... because this textbook is really ridiculous. the quiz questions intentionally twist the wording around so that it sounds nothing like what you read, and the wording of the textbook is like running around a bush 56 times at top speed while shouting random words from the dictionary

RE: SL Micro is horrible - AwardTour - 06-01-2019

In my opinion, Sophia's Microeconomics & Macroeconomics are great. You have your choice between multiple instructors. You can either read the course text yourself or chose to watch video lectures from a number of different instructors. 

With each passing day SL sounds like more and more of a beating.

RE: SL Micro is horrible - sanantone - 06-01-2019

I took the TECEP for microeconomics. I don't remember doing many calculations. I used Davar for macroeconomics. I didn't study long for either one of those exams, but I am a social science person.

(06-01-2019, 07:32 PM)sanantone Wrote: I took the TECEP for microeconomics. I don't remember doing many calculations. I used Davar for macroeconomics. I didn't study long for either one of those exams, but I am a social science person.

well, if anyone ever asks, pretty much 40 percent of every SL macroeconomics quiz is some kind of calculation that requires reading a graph. Which would be fine if they explained HOW TO READ THE GRAPH. uggghhhhhhhhh. I emailed SL to ask if i could trade the course for something else. if they say no, i guess i am out $59 but it could be worse. I feel like they may say no because i already had used my store credit once before to exchange for a different class that i no longer needed due to changing my concentration.

i am gonna see how study.com macro goes. if it's bad i may try sophia. their courses are SO pricey though

SL Micro is horrible - alab21 - 06-01-2019

(06-01-2019, 07:47 PM)saraholson Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 07:32 PM)sanantone Wrote: I took the TECEP for microeconomics. I don't remember doing many calculations. I used Davar for macroeconomics. I didn't study long for either one of those exams, but I am a social science person.

well, if anyone ever asks, pretty much 40 percent of every SL macroeconomics quiz is some kind of calculation that requires reading a graph. Which would be fine if they explained HOW TO READ THE GRAPH. uggghhhhhhhhh. I emailed SL to ask if i could trade the course for something else. if they say no, i guess i am out $59 but it could be worse. I feel like they may say no because i already had used my store credit once before to exchange for a different class that i no longer needed due to changing my concentration.

i am gonna see how study.com macro goes. if it's bad i may try sophia. their courses are SO pricey though

This might be an option so you can pass the test. My son’s high school class used this online course this year. It’s free and we often see the presenters on news shows and hear them on NPR for Econ topics (not for college credit, just a good resource):

https://mru.org/courses/principles-economics-microeconomics

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

RE: SL Micro is horrible - Merlin - 06-02-2019

(06-01-2019, 07:47 PM)saraholson Wrote: I emailed SL to ask if i could trade the course for something else. if they say no, i guess i am out $59 but it could be worse. I feel like they may say no because i already had used my store credit once before to exchange for a different class that i no longer needed due to changing my concentration.

I don't see why they would say no. I've never had a problem asking to cancel a course and apply the credit to another one. I've done that at least 3 times that I can think of. One of which was a class I signed up for 7 years earlier and never finished. Asking for a refund, in that case, worked in my favor since I paid $10 less for the course than I was credited with since the prices went up in between.

(06-01-2019, 07:47 PM)saraholson Wrote: i am gonna see how study.com macro goes. if it's bad i may try sophia. their courses are SO pricey though

The Study.com versions seem much more straightforward based on what you've described. I knew little about economics coming in and I was able to get through both macro and micro without much trouble. I'm sure you'll have a much better time with the SDC courses.

Other than the free courses, I couldn't bring myself to take any other courses with Sophia because they were so expensive.