Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
SDC Grading for Eng Comp I & II - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: SDC Grading for Eng Comp I & II (/Thread-SDC-Grading-for-Eng-Comp-I-II)

SDC Grading for Eng Comp I & II - suzycupcake - 06-02-2019

hi everyone -

There may not be anything I hate more than writing essays so I have a question - 

If a class is worth 300 points and you need 210 to pass and the class is broken out like this:

Assignment      Possible Points
Quizzes                         100
Essay 1                           25
Essay 2                           25
Essay 3                           50
Proctored Final Exam      100
Total                             300

Does this mean that if I got 210 points already between the quizzes, final and 2 essays, do I have to take the 3rd essay? Or can I submit a blank sheet if they require something be submitted? Yes, I'm aware that this is lazy but, as mentioned, I'm a hater of essays.

I sent a note to SDC support to ask and they responded with nothing that answered this question so I asked again and am waiting for an answer. Thought maybe you guys would know.

Thanks!

RE: SDC Grading for Eng Comp I & II - TexasTink - 06-02-2019

I do believe you are required to submit all the assignments. I don’t know if you would be able to submit a blank one and have that count or not. I didn’t enjoy writing the essays either, but I saw it as prep for the Capstone which requires a lot of writing. I definitely think it helped me.

RE: SDC Grading for Eng Comp I & II - suzycupcake - 06-02-2019

yeah, guess you have a point about the capstone!

RE: SDC Grading for Eng Comp I & II - MNomadic - 06-02-2019

In the past, some people were able to get away with only submitting 1 or 2 of the 3 essays. Officially now, I believe you have to submit all assignments but some have been known to "get out of" their last essay.
Personally, for my last essay, I just typed something up in a few hours that was about half as long as the requirements and still got like a 40-50%(I had already gotten enough points to pass by a wide margin). Your results may vary but I recommend at least making an effort on all of the assignments as practice.

RE: SDC Grading for Eng Comp I & II - Merlin - 06-02-2019

Yeah, they require you to turn in something, and it needs to at least approximate what is expected, but it doesn't have to meet all the requirements.

As others have mentioned, it is good practice though so I'd recommend trying to complete it properly since you'll want as much writing practice as possible before the capstone. Doubly so if you any interest in moving on to a masters degree afterward. It seems like all I do is write papers anymore. Smile

RE: SDC Grading for Eng Comp I & II - suzycupcake - 06-04-2019

For anyone wondering - Study.com did confirm back to me that SOMETHING needs to be sent in, even if it is a paper that says "I am not submitting an essay".