Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Masters Help Patten Replacement - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Masters Help Patten Replacement (/Thread-Masters-Help-Patten-Replacement)

Pages: 1 2

Masters Help Patten Replacement - armstrongsubero - 06-04-2019

Hey everyone, so once TESU accepts my final data structures course from SDC (hopefully it transfers) I'll be done with my Comp Sci degree and wanted to start my masters.

My goal had been to go to Patten then to the Aspen DSc in Computer Science. If not I would have liked to gain direct entry into a PhD or Doctoral program. 

Since Patten closed (so sad cheap, fast and monthly payments), is there anything that can replace it? I know folks here use Amberton and WGU. WGU is out of if for me, but I'm looking for something like the 'Patten Style' pay per term and do as many courses as you can, or at least a program where I can finish fast. I'm trying to finish my masters ideally for at or under US $5000, but US $10 000 is absolute max and I'm looking as cheap as possible.

NA or RA is irrelevant. Time 6 months to a year max.

The subject is also irrelevant as a lot of things interest me. I like technology most though, but any generic business, education or "studies" program with do. I'm not picky.

I would like feedback from people in these programs.

I have narrowed down theses schools as possible choices:

Ashworth College:

Finish one course and move on, lots of speed but too close to the 10k mark.

NationsUniversity

Finish one course and move on, though from what I've heard its very hard to finish.

NAU

Is it possible to finish in one term? At 3000 a term this is a good deal. I'm not too sure how this program works though.

Amberton

Seems doable with alt credits. Wondering what the cheapest is I can do a degree for there though?

Did I miss any? I have no financial aid, international and no tuition assistance from employer.

RE: Masters Help Patten Replacement - bjcheung77 - 06-04-2019

NAU is a great option for their MCIT and they have a few emphasis you can "specialize" in. At $3000/term, that's a pretty good deal, however; I don't think it's that easy to finish. I would prepare to complete it in two terms instead.

Another option is Brandman, they have MAOL, it's at $3500/term. I would recommend this program if you're looking at a leadership role, the MA Organizational Leadership would be a building block for a higher management level position.

Purdue Global - Exceltrak MBA if you're into Business/Management - Competency Based.
Walden Tempo Learning - MBA Project Management, MHA (Health Admin), Masters in Education.

If you're looking at competency and don't mind schools being For Profit

RE: Masters Help Patten Replacement - Ideas - 06-04-2019

At Amberton, the professional studies degree is flexible. Check out past threads about transferring in the max credits by doing cheap VESi credits, Harvard Extension School poetry credits, and others.

However, I think NAU makes more sense because it's related to the field you want to be in. I bet you could do it in 2 terms.

I think Amberton is better than the others because of being Non-Profit and RA.

"12 credits via VESI for $1200 and the remaining 24 credits at Amberton for $6400"

"You can take 3 classes per 10-week term. Do 3 classes for four terms and you will finish in a little less than 12 mos"

Masters Help Patten Replacement - posabsolute - 06-04-2019

I was enrolled at NAU, there is much more work per course than WGU.

The first 5 courses have 3 to 5 competencies each.

Then each competencies have 2 essay of 8 to 10 pages, and a master assignment, which is generally a project.

It adds up pretty fast... On the good side you get a 4.0 gpa at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

RE: Masters Help Patten Replacement - sanantone - 06-04-2019

Amberton is not self-paced. They accept 12 transfer credits, right? That's only a third of the degree program.

There are several threads that list schools with competency-based programs: Capella, Walden, NAU, University of Wisconsin, Purdue Global, JFK University (bought Patten's system), University of Dayton, Rasmussen College, etc.

RE: Masters Help Patten Replacement - Supermind - 06-04-2019

Thank you so much for this thread. I am almost completing my BA-LS & ASNSM at TESU. Was wondering what’s next, as WGU isn’t an option for me. I think I might go with Brandman University. They are RA & have a wider range of course offerings than UOP. I looked up UOP’s M.Ed & MBA yesterday. Sounded interesting, but I wonder if one can complete all those courses in a single term of 24 weeks.

RE: Masters Help Patten Replacement - eriehiker - 06-04-2019

https://online.uj.ac.za/

Smile

RE: Masters Help Patten Replacement - Supermind - 06-04-2019

I looked up on Brandman Uni’s website, and their Self-paced program looks very affordable. $3200/6-month term for Undergrad programs & $3500/term for Graduate programs. Even if it were two terms, it comes to $6400 & $7000 respectively. Considering that many of us here complete our undergrad course work in less than a year, I am curious why there hasn’t been much of a discussion on this forum about Brandman? Are there some hidden costs/limitations/undesirable factors?

RE: Masters Help Patten Replacement - jsd - 06-05-2019

JFK University took over the pattern self paced degrees and rebranded them as JFKU FlexCourse. They're still a pretty good deal, about 4k for 6 months. At the grad level it's just their MBA with various concentrations.

RE: Masters Help Patten Replacement - Ideas - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 01:37 AM)jsd Wrote: JFK University took over the pattern self paced degrees and rebranded them as JFKU FlexCourse. They're still a pretty good deal, about 4k for 6 months. At the grad level it's just their MBA with various concentrations.

I thought it was $9600 for the year and that you couldn't pay for less. Seems like a lot for an MBA. I think they have 2 other compentency degrees, but not IT.