Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) (/Thread-COSC-Second-Bachelor-s-interdisciplinary)

Pages: 1 2

COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - ReyMysterioso - 06-08-2019

Okay I know it's crazy, but hear me out....
Assuming I had all the credits to do so, ready to transfer in - what's the cost of getting an Interdisciplinary degree in English/Communications at COSC? Or perhaps Literature/Communications/Psychology? There's no additional cornerstone required. So it would just be the capstone course(s) and associated fees, correct? What's the cost of that?

Now the bigger question is: What would represent a "logical distribution" of credits to fill out the Areas of Concentration (English, Communications). Anyone got any idea on how "picky" they are about that breadth and depth clause? 

"The 18 upper level credits must represent a logical distribution from various disciplines in the concentration. The concentration needs to show breadth and depth in each subject area chosen." 

Anyone got any idea on how "picky" they are about that breadth and depth clause? Can you go really heavy on one, light on the other? Cram almost all your UL in one subject and only one or two in another?

Some of the jobs I'm interested in call for a degree in communications or journalism. Business Administration just isn't quite the fit for where I want to go career-wise, although it seemed like a good flexible degree at the time. I wasn't really sure on how Interdisciplinary worked, or else I would've absolutely done a Business Administration/Communications degree the first time around.

What got me thinking about this was that I watched the COSC commencement ceremony livestream (viewable here: https://youtu.be/ZKubub4wWmg) and was surprised that one of the speakers receiving an honorary doctorate was Peter Reinhart. A baking expert/author/James Beard Award-winner that I know and have worked with/collaborate with IRL. It was a holy crap/small world moment. 
I had no idea he was a COSC alum. His wikipedia page lists that he has a degree in Communications, Literature and Psychology from COSC. I started thinking, "Dang... that checks like three boxes! Why didn't I think to do that?"

Or maybe it's a dumb idea and wouldn't have nearly the effect I think it would.

RE: COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - ztkerls - 06-08-2019

I actually walked in the ceremony that you watch. I thought the speaker you mentioned was the best speech of the night. My mom was referencing him as the Doctor of Bread afterward.

It is not hard to get your areas of concentration approved. You will submit a form to the faculty with your concentration classes and will write a short paper arguing how the classes you took flow together well. I did business administration and psychology. English and communications or a combination like that should be fairly easy to justify.

I do not remember the exact requirements for how many of each concentration you have to take, but I can say that I only took 4 psychology classes where 3 were upper-level. All of my other classes were business classes.

You will either be in the Liberal Studies or Individualized studies program depending on your concentration mix. Both have a 2 part capstone, but since you said you don't have to take the cornerstone then you can do it in a single term and pay the student fee once as long as you start at the beginning of either the Fall or Spring semester.

RE: COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - ReyMysterioso - 06-09-2019

If it's a two-part capstone, do you pay tuition for two courses instead of one?

RE: COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - ztkerls - 06-09-2019

(06-09-2019, 06:18 AM)elbebopkid Wrote: If it's a two-part capstone, do you pay tuition for two courses instead of one?

I mean the answer is yes but it does not cost more since COSC charges per credit hour and not by course. Capstone part 1 is a 1 credit class and capstone part 2 is a 2 credit class. At the end of the day, you are still only paying for 3 credits but on the bill, it will be split between the two classes.

Gotcha. So can you describe what that Capstone Part 1 was like? And then what you developed for Capstone Part 2?
And while I'm at it, by the way, congratulations on graduating! I guess we're classmates! #classof2019 #goacorns

RE: COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - ztkerls - 06-09-2019

(06-09-2019, 12:31 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: Gotcha. So can you describe what that Capstone Part 1 was like? And then what you developed for Capstone Part 2?
And while I'm at it, by the way, congratulations on graduating! I guess we're classmates!  #classof2019 #goacorns

For Liberal Studies or Individualized Studies, you will fall into I think one of six capstone classes based on your concentration focus. I believe they have Business, Math/Science/Technology, and Social/Behavioral Science for Individualized Studies and they have History/Humanities, Math/Science, and Social/Behavioral Science for Liberal Studies. Your advisor will tell you which one you are assigned to after your concentration is approved. For reference, I was in the Business capstone, but they all accomplish the same goals. 

In the first capstone class, the goal is to come up with a proposal that shows that you have the knowledge to warrant a degree and get it approved by your teacher. In my class, I did a research paper, but some of my classmates did powerpoints and video speeches to accomplish the project. The class is 5 weeks long and you basically just toss possible ideas around with the teacher and peers until it is good enough to get approved. They provided me with a template for what they want the proposal to look like. 

In the second capstone class, the goal is to complete the project that was approved in the first class. This class is 10 weeks long and is basically submitting copies of your project and getting feedback from your teacher and peers. You are also expected to give feedback to your peers in this class. After 10 weeks of this, your project is usually ready to submit. 

Neither of these classes are hard if you pick a project that fits well with your knowledge and is not too broad or too specific. With a Business Administration and Psychology concentration I wrote a research paper analyzing the various business practices that exist around the world and the importance of understanding them. It was easy to use both Business and Psychology knowledge in the project.

And yes we are classmates! I used your post as a reference for the classes that picked. I really appreciate that by the way.

What does your transcript actually say? Something like Bachelor of Science in Business Administration/Psychology? Or something like Bachelor of Science in General Studies, Business Administration/Psychology Concentration?

RE: COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - ztkerls - 06-10-2019

(06-09-2019, 07:24 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: What does your transcript actually say? Something like Bachelor of Science in Business Administration/Psychology? Or something like Bachelor of Science in General Studies, Business Administration/Psychology Concentration?

I believe the transcript says Bachelor of Science in General Studies with a concentration in either Individualized Studies or Liberal Studies depending on the program you choose. I do not think they mention the concentrations focus anywhere. I wish it did though.

RE: COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - ReyMysterioso - 06-10-2019

(06-10-2019, 12:50 AM)ztkerls Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 07:24 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: What does your transcript actually say? Something like Bachelor of Science in Business Administration/Psychology? Or something like Bachelor of Science in General Studies, Business Administration/Psychology Concentration?

I believe the transcript says Bachelor of Science in General Studies with a concentration in either Individualized Studies or Liberal Studies depending on the program you choose. I do not think they mention the concentrations focus anywhere. I wish it did though.

Well that stymies my efforts. My whole motivation is to get a "communications" degree qualifying me for jobs that require it as a box-check. (I have 10 years of communications experience. It's ridiculous to be rejected because there isn't a diploma that says "communications" but such is life.) Should somebody like the local University want to hire me in their PR department, then run a verification on National Student Clearinghouse, they're going to have questions about why the transcript doesn't say anything about "communications." 
This may be a no-go waste of money if I pursue it.

RE: COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary) - ztkerls - 06-10-2019

(06-10-2019, 09:24 AM)elbebopkid Wrote: Well that stymies my efforts. My whole motivation is to get a "communications" degree qualifying me for jobs that require it as a box-check. (I have 10 years of communications experience. It's ridiculous to be rejected because there isn't a diploma that says "communications" but such is life.) Should somebody like the local University want to hire me in their PR department, then run a verification on National Student Clearinghouse, they're going to have questions about why the transcript doesn't say anything about "communications." 
This may be a no-go waste of money if I pursue it.

I can see that as a problem in your situation. COSC does have an offical concentration for communication that you might be able to look into. I believe the transcript for this one would say Bachelor of Science in General Studies with a Concentration of Communications. It would have a standard 8-week capstone, but it has more precise requirements.

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/2017-2018/subject_area_concentrations/communication.php