Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option (/Thread-TESU-Another-change-for-2019-Tuition-option)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - bjcheung77 - 06-13-2019

TESU, what are you doing?  Another change occuring as of July 1, 2019. 
They are removing the comprehensive tuition to a full-time flat-rate tuition option.
This is making things more expensive again for individuals who want to pay for school there.

Essentially, the comprehensive tuition was roughly $7500 for a year of up to 36 credits.
This full-time flat-rate tuition is roughly $4000 in state or $5000 out of state for 16 credits.
But the kicker is, that 16 credits is for one term, meaning you got to use it all in 3 months.

For those who want to get on the comprehensive tuition plan, get on it asap by registering for a July term course.
They have removed their comprehensive tuition link from their website. 
See link below for details...  https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/flat-rate-tuition

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - natshar - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 10:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU, what are you doing?  Another change occuring as of July 1, 2019. 
They are removing the comprehensive tuition to a full-time flat-rate tuition option.
This is making things more expensive again for individuals who want to pay for school there.

Essentially, the comprehensive tuition was roughly $7500 for a year of up to 36 credits.
This full-time flat-rate tuition is roughly $4000 in state or $5000 out of state for 16 credits.
But the kicker is, that 16 credits is for one term, meaning you got to use it all in 3 months.

For those who want to get on the comprehensive tuition plan, get on it asap by registering for a July term course.

It's even not a plan that students select. Basically it says if you enroll in between 10-16 credits a term instead of being charged per credit, you will automatically be charged the flat rate. A lot of schools have things like this. So I guess it does save money over the per credit rate, but only if you were planning on taking 10-16 credits in a term.

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - davewill - 06-13-2019

One advantage this has is that you're not on the hook for a whole year's tuition up front that you might turn out to be unable to use. This would also be more financial aid and employer reimbursement friendly, I would think. On the down side, it makes it unattractive to stagger your courses by taking one or two each month so that you have three or four courses going at once, but don't have finals for them at the same time.

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - sanantone - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 10:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU, what are you doing?  Another change occuring as of July 1, 2019. 

Full-time out-of-state was over $9k per year.

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - dfrecore - 06-14-2019

(06-13-2019, 12:13 PM)sanantone Wrote:

They study.com discounted rate is the in-state rate, so less than $9k.

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - natshar - 06-14-2019

Guys I think TESU is going to raise their per credit price as well. The page for per credit is down (at least for me).

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - sanantone - 06-14-2019

(06-14-2019, 12:41 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Most TESU students aren't going to take Study.com courses, and wasn't the discount going away or being reduced?

While $308 per credit hour is pretty low for out-of-state students, most people will not be taking 4-credit courses, so they're more likely to take 15 credits. As a semester hour school, I don't know why TESU bases everything on 16 credits. It leaves people having to take a 1-credit course.

If they are still considering a term to be 12 weeks, then that's not a lot of time to complete 16 credits. Terms should be extended to four months.

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - AwardTour - 06-14-2019

(06-14-2019, 05:55 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 12:41 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Most TESU students aren't going to take Study.com courses, and wasn't the discount going away or being reduced?

While $308 per credit hour is pretty low for out-of-state students, most people will not be taking 4-credit courses, so they're more likely to take 15 credits. As a semester hour school, I don't know why TESU bases everything on 16 credits. It leaves people having to take a 1-credit course.

If they are still considering a term to be 12 weeks, then that's not a lot of time to complete 16 credits. Terms should be extended to four months.

Any idea on when the Study.com discount is being reduced or going away?

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - armstrongsubero - 06-14-2019

This can be pretty useful. For someone missing just a few credits they cant get elsewhere for history, comm etc its not that bad.

It's pretty hard to pay that 9k vs this chunk. But I agree that term length should be increased.

RE: TESU - Another change for 2019 - Tuition option - CarpeDiem8 - 06-14-2019

(06-14-2019, 08:01 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: This can be pretty useful. For someone missing just a few credits they cant get elsewhere for history, comm etc its not that bad.

It's pretty hard to pay that 9k vs this chunk. But I agree that term length should be increased.

Yes! This means good news for me since I need 16 credits for my Comm degree. Whoo hoo!

Appears that my Comm degree will actually be reduced by about 2K, and if my calculations are correct, even a bit cheaper than a straight up BA in Liberal Arts.