Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Associates Degree - still need cornerstone? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: Pierpont and other Associates Degrees (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Pierpont-and-other-Associates-Degrees)
+--- Thread: Associates Degree - still need cornerstone? (/Thread-Associates-Degree-still-need-cornerstone)

Pages: 1 2

Associates Degree - still need cornerstone? - Clepper43 - 06-15-2019

If you come into the big 3 with an associates from a B & M, do they still require the cornerstone?

RE: Associates Degree - still need cornerstone? - natshar - 06-15-2019

Yes you do. All bachelors and associates degrees from the big 3 have a cornerstone that must be taken no matter what.

Excelsior doesn't have a true cornerstone though, they have an information literacy course that you can transfer in from a university, but you have to have taken a course that meets the requirements. COSC and TESU you must take it with them no exceptions.

RE: Associates Degree - still need cornerstone? - Clepper43 - 06-15-2019

That's good to know! Although it looks like that may be changing:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-Excelsior-College-Cornerstone-Initiative-starting-January-2020?highlight=Excelsior

RE: Associates Degree - still need cornerstone? - TwinMom - 06-15-2019

(06-15-2019, 11:16 AM)natshar Wrote: Yes you do. All bachelors and associates degrees from the big 3 have a cornerstone that must be taken no matter what.

Excelsior doesn't have a true cornerstone though, they have an information literacy course that you can transfer in from a university, but you have to have taken a course that meets the requirements. COSC and TESU you must take it with them no exceptions.

So if you receive an Associates from COSU but continue at TESU for a Bachelors you would still have to take the Cornerstone at TESU? (I don't know if B&M schools require Cornerstones so I understand the requirement if they do not)

(06-15-2019, 01:12 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 11:16 AM)natshar Wrote: Yes you do. All bachelors and associates degrees from the big 3 have a cornerstone that must be taken no matter what.

So if you receive an Associates from COSU but continue at TESU for a Bachelors you would still have to take the Cornerstone at TESU? (I don't know if B&M schools require Cornerstones so I understand the requirement if they do not)

Yes you will still have to take it:

-Charter Oak has a cornerstone that you must take at Charter Oak no matter what for all degrees.
-Thomas Edison has a cornerstone that you must take at Thomas Edison no matter what for all degrees.
-Excelsior has information literacy require that you can transfer in, but soon will be moving towards a cornerstone.

Note these policies might be different if you already had a bachelors and went for a second on you might not have to take the cornerstone, but an associates degree does not make you exempt.

It doesn't make sense to get an associates from one of the big 3 schools and transfer to another for a bachelors, with all the fees it seems like a waste of money. If you are getting an associates from one of the big 3 schools, stick to the same one for a bachelors.

RE: Associates Degree - still need cornerstone? - dfrecore - 06-15-2019

(06-15-2019, 01:22 PM)natshar Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 01:12 PM)TwinMom Wrote:

Yes you will still have to take it:

-Charter Oak has a cornerstone that you must take at Charter Oak no matter what for all degrees.
-Thomas Edison has a cornerstone that you must take at Thomas Edison no matter what for all degrees.
-Excelsior has information literacy require that you can transfer in, but soon will be moving towards a cornerstone.

Note these policies might be different if you already had a bachelors and went for a second on you might not have to take the cornerstone, but an associates degree does not make you exempt.

It doesn't make sense to get an associates from one of the big 3 schools and transfer to another for a bachelors, with all the fees it seems like a waste of money. If you are getting an associates from one of the big 3 schools, stick to the same one for a bachelors.

Prior to the cornerstone requirements, it was fine to switch between schools; now with it, it does not.  The one caveat is that if you REALLY want an AA, then COSC is by far the cheapest even with the capstone; and TESU has a lot more degree choices than COSC, so I could see going there later to get a bachelors.

(06-15-2019, 03:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Prior to the cornerstone requirements, it was fine to switch between schools; now with it, it does not.  The one caveat is that if you REALLY want an AA, then COSC is by far the cheapest even with the capstone; and TESU has a lot more degree choices than COSC, so I could see going there later to get a bachelors.

That is what I was thinking we would do for my twins.  Get an Associates at COSC in Gen Studies so at least that's done.  Then see where their interests/talents lie (I'm thinking IT which CO doesn't offer except as a concentration).  But this throws a wrench in that thinking. Sad I'm really hoping in the next 3 years CO expands their concentration to an actual degree.  Cybersecurity is awesome but there still aren't enough alternate credit options vs having to take many classes at CO.  Thanks for the info. everyone

(06-15-2019, 03:48 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 03:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Prior to the cornerstone requirements, it was fine to switch between schools; now with it, it does not.  The one caveat is that if you REALLY want an AA, then COSC is by far the cheapest even with the capstone; and TESU has a lot more degree choices than COSC, so I could see going there later to get a bachelors.

That is what I was thinking we would do for my twins.  Get an Associates at COSC in Gen Studies so at least that's done.  Then see where their interests/talents lie (I'm thinking IT which CO doesn't offer except as a concentration).  But this throws a wrench in that thinking. Sad I'm really hoping in the next 3 years CO expands their concentration to an actual degree.  Cybersecurity is awesome but there still aren't enough alternate credit options vs having to take many classes at CO.  Thanks for the info. everyone

For computers, IT, Cybersecurity, etc. WGU seems like a better bet. Not only is it cheaper but it comes with certifications and more courses in the major compared to TESU.

(06-15-2019, 03:54 PM)natshar Wrote: For computers, IT, Cybersecurity, etc. WGU seems like a better bet. Not only is it cheaper but it comes with certifications and more courses in the major compared to TESU.

Agree!  Mine will (hopefully) be taking classes at a Tech school (here for free!) starting in 10th grade for Cybersecurity and will receive 7 computer certs through that program so WGU may be a good option after that

RE: Associates Degree - still need cornerstone? - cookderosa - 06-17-2019

(06-15-2019, 04:23 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 03:54 PM)natshar Wrote: For computers, IT, Cybersecurity, etc. WGU seems like a better bet. Not only is it cheaper but it comes with certifications and more courses in the major compared to TESU.

Agree!  Mine will (hopefully) be taking classes at a Tech school (here for free!) starting in 10th grade for Cybersecurity and will receive 7 computer certs through that program so WGU may be a good option after that

Also, don't forget that if they're willing to work at least part time at Walmart, you can now get a Cybersecurity degree for $1/day. They just expanded their program this month. My IT son was planning COSC however we are reconsidering now.