Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" (/Thread-HBX-Becomes-Harvard-Business-School-Online)

HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - Jonathan Whatley - 06-16-2019

The online non-degree continuing education unit of Harvard Business School previously branded as HBX or Harvard Business X is rebranding to "Harvard Business School Online."

The School Online tells holders of HBX certificates, "your LinkedIn profile will automatically change to Harvard Business School Online (as long you chose the pre-set HBX credential when you originally added it to your profile). If you did not choose that option, you may manually update your LinkedIn profile and / or resume to reflect the new Harvard Business School Online name." Another FAQ: "Am I now an alum of Harvard Business School? No, if you've completed a course with HBX or Harvard Business School Online, you are a certificate holder, not a graduate nor an alumnus/alumnae."

RE: HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - cookderosa - 06-17-2019

Can I earn academic credit for participating in an HBS Online program?
By electing to enroll in the undergraduate credit option of the Credential of Readiness (CORe) program, participants can earn eight undergraduate credits from Harvard Extension School (January or September CORe cohorts) or Harvard Summer School (May CORe cohort).

At this time, it is not possible to earn academic credit for any other HBS Online programs.

https://online.hbs.edu/courses/core
$3600 for 8 credits

HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - posabsolute - 06-17-2019

I followed how HBX started and really like how they first position it, which was how can we provide the HBS experience online. if you look at their live sessions it's a pretty amazing setup, they may have created the "magic" missing from online courses, especially for executive education.

However, their courses now trend toward offline video with a forum participation, they pumped out a lot of new certificates without live sessions, which I think is kind of a shame, it has become just another online certificate platform with nothing special but the name.

RE: HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - cookderosa - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 01:51 PM)posabsolute Wrote: I followed how HBX started and honestly like how they first position it: How can we provide the HBS experience online. if you look at their live sessions it's a pretty amazing setup, they may have created the "magic" missing from online courses, especially for executive education.

However, HBS online courses now trend toward offline video only with a forum participation, they pumped out a lot of new certificates without live sessions, which I think is kind of a shame, it has become just another online certificate platform with nothing special but the name.

I think you're right- and sadly this is the case with almost every online course out there from any university. The ONLY live online classes I ever took were through Harvard Extension (not HBX) and I have yet to find a community college that offers any. I think people THINK they want asynchronous learning (you can find old threads here about Luna CC, people losing their mind at the audacity of requiring students to be online at a specific time) but in reality, it absolutely adds a sense of depth that you're otherwise missing. My son's algebra course was live this year (zoom) and it was great - I will use that program every year moving forward.

RE: HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - sanantone - 06-17-2019

The main problem with live courses is that they can conflict with people's work schedules. Work is one of the most common reasons why people take online courses.

RE: HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 06-18-2019

For the certificate courses that I've been in, they have at least offered two different dates for any required online discussions. The problem is that I and several other students have been based on the other side of the planet, so a nice sunny Saturday morning chat in Houston turns into a grueling post-midnight drag in Beijing. I guess there's just no real way to avoid synch problems for everyone.

RE: HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - Stoic - 06-21-2019

I'm currently enrolled in the CORe program there and noticed that a lot of people just straight up list Harvard Business School on their social media profiles. The CORe program itself it's rigorous for people like me who are coming from a Liberal Arts background, but I'm not sure exactly how much I can retain from all the information cramming.

HBX Becomes "Harvard Business School Online" - posabsolute - 06-21-2019

There was some story a while ago about a company doing the course for you so that you can list hbs on your cv. eCornell (online certificate platform) actually encourage you to put the Cornell university name on your CV with your certificate.

There is no avoiding this, but Harvard name is so strong that I’m pretty sure this will look a bit suspicious to hiring managers, maybe even disingenuous.