Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Confusing chat with TESU's admission - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Confusing chat with TESU's admission (/Thread-Confusing-chat-with-TESU-s-admission)

Pages: 1 2 3

Confusing chat with TESU's admission - romoh - 06-17-2019

Hey guys, 

Just had a chat with an admission advisor at TESU and she said that unless I am transferring from a regionally accredited 4-Year college, I can only transfer up to 90 credits. 

She said that from Study.com and StraighterLine combined, I can only transfer 90 cr. 

If this is true, this means that I can't rely only on Study.com and StraighterLine for the credits? 

Someone please elaborate and explain. I'm a newbie here.

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - armstrongsubero - 06-17-2019

The advisor word it wrong. If you are transferring from a 2 year college you can only transfer a maximum of 90 credits.

From study.com or straigherline you can only transfer 90 credits each not combined.

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - romoh - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 11:38 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: The advisor word it wrong. If you are transferring from a 2 year college you can only transfer a maximum of 90 credits.

From study.com or straigherline you can only transfer 90 credits each not combined.

Thanks. Does this mean that I can, for example, transfer 110 credits from Study.com and SL combined?

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - sanantone - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 11:38 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: The advisor word it wrong. If you are transferring from a 2 year college you can only transfer a maximum of 90 credits.

Correction: The limit is 80 credits from 2-year colleges. For ACE and NCCRS courses, the limit is 90 credits from one source. For example, Study.com is one source. Straighterline is one source. Sophia is one source, and so on.

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - davewill - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 11:40 AM)romoh Wrote:

Thanks. Does this mean that I can, for example, transfer 110 credits from Study.com and SL combined?

Yes. It's 90cr from each source.

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - allvia - 06-17-2019

armstrongsubero was close -  you can only transfer in 80 credits from 2 year schools (LL), such as CCs. Meaning you could have attended 3 different CCs, but all together you cannot transfer more than 80 combined. https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit

However, when it comes to alternative credits you can only transfer in 90 per source.  So you can transfer in 90 from one provider - so up to 90 from Study.com, then if you wanted another 90 from SL, etc.  This is why you often see people suggesting you watch your Study.com choices as you'd hate to earn 90 LL from them and then realize you need them them for their large selection of UL options (Currently Study.com offers the most UL credits from a single alternative provider)

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - romoh - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 11:58 AM)allvia Wrote:

armstrongsubero was close -  you can only transfer in 80 credits from 2 year schools (LL), such as CCs. Meaning you could have attended 3 different CCs, but all together you cannot transfer more than 80 combined. https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit

However, when it comes to alternative credits you can only transfer in 90 per source.  So you can transfer in 90 from one provider - so up to 90 from Study.com, then if you wanted another 90 from SL, etc.  This is why you often see people suggesting you watch your Study.com choices as you'd hate to earn 90 LL from them and then realize you need them them for their large selection of UL options (Currently Study.com offers the most UL credits from a single alternative provider)

Thank you so much. The admissions advisor told me it's better to apply for admission now so that an academic advisor can work with me on which courses to take..etc, is that a good idea?

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - davewill - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 12:17 PM)romoh Wrote: Thank you so much. The admissions advisor told me it's better to apply for admission now so that an academic advisor can work with me on which courses to take..etc, is that a good idea?

Yes, but not so much for that reason since the advisor won't help much with alternative credit. The reason to go ahead and apply is to lock in the current catalog against future changes. If you do it right now, you'll be on the current 2019a catalog instead of the new 2019/2020 catalog that will start July 1. Also, you can start sending transcripts and see where courses really apply in your academic evaluation.

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - armstrongsubero - 06-17-2019

Haha I mixed up CCs with foreign credits lol since I have foreign credits...yes they are right its 80 credits.

RE: Confusing chat with TESU's admission - udi - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 12:55 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 12:17 PM)romoh Wrote: Thank you so much. The admissions advisor told me it's better to apply for admission now so that an academic advisor can work with me on which courses to take..etc, is that a good idea?

Yes, but not so much for that reason since the advisor won't help much with alternative credit. The reason to go ahead and apply is to lock in the current catalog against future changes. If you do it right now, you'll be on the current 2019a catalog instead of the new 2019/2020 catalog that will start July 1. Also, you can start sending transcripts and see where courses really apply in your academic evaluation.

What's the difference between the 2019a catalog and 2019/2020? Should I apply now? I didn't think anything was changing.