Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? (/Thread-Apply-COSC-Degree-to-Elite-University)

Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - SCYankee - 06-20-2019

In all the research so far, I haven't been able to answer this question yet...

Let's say I use one of the "Big 3" to convert 120 credits into a BA or BS. Then, I want to pursue a Master's at some other U. Not Harvard or anything, but something like UF or LSU or Purdue. 

For a Masters in Communication, I might need to do some pre-reqs, but I intend to look ahead and work them into my Bachelor's anyway. If I have the classes they require to start the Master's, is there a chance that they might not accept my Bachelor's due to too many CLEP/DSST or SDC, or something like that? Or are my credit sources no longer a factor after achieving a degree?

Will the sources even be visible at the graduate level?

Thanks.

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - mysonx3 - 06-20-2019

They're not going to reject your degree because of too many alternative credits, but if the program you're looking at is competitive admissions, you might not have much on your transcript to prove your abilities with. Also, you'll want to check whether they'd accept CLEP/DSST/ACE for a pre-requisite or if they have to be taken from an RA school.

I Googled Purdue's online MS in Communications for example, and I'm guessing you wouldn't have a problem getting into that one, but I don't really know for certain.

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - natshar - 06-20-2019

(06-20-2019, 01:20 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: They're not going to reject your degree because of too many alternative credits, but if the program you're looking at is competitive admissions, you might not have much on your transcript to prove your abilities with. Also, you'll want to check whether they'd accept CLEP/DSST/ACE for a pre-requisite or if they have to be taken from an RA school.

I Googled Purdue's online MS in Communications for example, and I'm guessing you wouldn't have a problem getting into that one, but I don't really know for certain.

Also some degrees might be require a certain number of graded credits and/or a certain GPA just make sure you have that.

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - Jonathan Whatley - 06-20-2019

The sources will be visible.

Look into what graduate programs you're interested in expect in terms of letters of recommendation. Think about who'll be able to write compelling letters about your potential as a graduate student in your field of interest. At COSC you'll work at minimum with a capstone instructor in your concentration or major, a cornerstone instructor not specific to your department (and working to freshman standards during a short term), and an academic advisor (who will be familiar with your degree and accomplishments overall, but won't directly oversee academic work).

In some cases even where a test-out or ACE/NCCRS course is available, you might choose a course from a professor at a college in part for the possibility of a recommendation.

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - SCYankee - 06-20-2019

Okay, I think that helps. Since the graduate school will see all of this on my transcript anyway, can I simply ask them these questions about GPA, graded courses vs exams, etc? Or is it too early (if so, at what point would it be better)? Or would the person I speak to possibly just be confused about the whole thing (have seen some issues like that on this forum)?

The GPA would come from SDC or SL courses (or other college courses), since CLEP/DSST don't result in GPA scores, right? 

Thanks a lot.

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - mysonx3 - 06-20-2019

The college you apply to may or may not count SDC/SL courses in your GPA. My guess is most would not, but that's just a guess.

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - jsd - 06-20-2019

Exactly what everyone has said -- Look into the individual programs. I used my TESU/WGU degrees (not COSC) to get into Georgia Tech, so it's possible to get into highly ranked schools with alt credit. But not all programs are as flexible as GT's OMS programs, especially those that revolve around state or federal licensure.

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - sanantone - 06-20-2019

One of the schools I applied to thought that Davar Academy was a foreign college, and they requested a foreign transcript evaluation. LOL

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - Jonathan Whatley - 06-20-2019

(06-20-2019, 03:25 PM)SCYankee Wrote: Okay, I think that helps. Since the graduate school will see all of this on my transcript anyway, can I simply ask them these questions about GPA, graded courses vs exams, etc? Or is it too early (if so, at what point would it be better)? Or would the person I speak to possibly just be confused about the whole thing (have seen some issues like that on this forum)?

The GPA would come from SDC or SL courses (or other college courses), since CLEP/DSST don't result in GPA scores, right? 

Thanks a lot.

Yes you can ask and it's not too early! Some people probably will be confused. You'll probably encounter smart people who know a lot about higher education and their field but little or nothing about nontraditional sources of credit. Many decisions will be case-by-case, and what you hear from one person today may not reflect how the committee proceeds when you apply even at the same program. But it will give you a sense of how things are perceived and how things happen.

Roughly, the graduate admissions office is like the HR department, the graduate program is like the hiring manager. The graduate admissions office may oversee steps like application form intake and transcript review and may provide general guidance, but the main center of power in admissions decisions is likely to be the graduate program.

RE: Apply COSC Degree to Elite University? - davewill - 06-20-2019

People here have gotten into all kinds of graduate programs with Big3 degrees. Remember that a grad school application is a package. Once you have the "musts" like a bachelor's degree and the right prerequisites, and minimum GPA, everything else is judged on a relative basis. This applicant has a high GPA, that one went to a top school, this other one has lots of relevant work experience, another one has a high score on the GRE, the last wrote a great essay. Try to accentuate the positives on your application, and not worry too much about the things you can't change.