Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Where to Finish my Degree? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Where to Finish my Degree? (/Thread-Where-to-Finish-my-Degree)

Pages: 1 2 3

Where to Finish my Degree? - natshar - 06-27-2019

Thinking of now ditching TESU and earning my degree at a State U. long story, not that long really, but I don't want to bore you guys.

Here are my options:

Option 1: Finish my degree at TESU. Have no debt. Get a BSBA. If I don't have all the money for the residency wavier up front, I'll just borrow directly from my parents and then pay them back later. Seems easier than taking out student loans for only a 1k -2k. At this point, I'm likely March or June 2020 graduation. I'm not in a rush to finish. In prior threads I was but the opportunities have changed.

Option 2: Finish my degree at local State U starting this fall. Already accepted, admitted, and credits evaluated. It will take a minimum of 1 year because of 30 credit residency and I think I can do it. Graduate in June 2020. I'll get a general Bachelors but it will have double minors in both business and communications. I have access to connections, mentors, opportunities, etc. However, I will have about 10k in debt, possibly less if my parents decide to help me out a bit or I get more scholarships. But the main pro here is I'll be taking in-person courses and all the connections, memories and opportunities I might have and the whole college experience, you just don't get online. And that 10k estimate is after the pell grant and scholarships I've received. 

Just was curious to hear your thoughts on this?

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - allvia - 06-27-2019

Option 1 - No Debt.

Option 3 - Go with Option 1, then look into graduate opportunities through State U (save your money for grad school)

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - Stoic - 06-27-2019

I would go with the no debt one and use the 10k for a masters. Opportunity cost is also a thing you have to take in account if you’re working.

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - davewill - 06-27-2019

Get the BSBA and no debt. I don't think a general bachelor's with a couple of minors really compares. If you were getting a BSBA at the State Uni, and valued the recruiting process there, it MIGHT make sense to spend the 10K, but not just for the "college experience".

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - dfrecore - 06-27-2019

I think that you overestimate the access to all of those things you mentioned with only being there 1 year, and not even majoring in either thing.

I would get a BSBA from TESU w/no debt, work for a bit, and then look at an MBA. I'd also look at working somewhere where they'll pay for your MBA.

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - natshar - 06-27-2019

I guess I just have to convince my parents and some people in my life. They don't think an online degree is a "real degree." Everyone in my life is suggesting the in-person option. I don't have a career or a set plan or anything so an in person college could give me direction.

With either option, I'll be working probably part-time. With TESU, if I can find a good full-time job I'll do that. But with the State U, I probably just work part-time. I have no interest in getting a masters degree any time soon. I don't think earning a masters particularly an MBA is a good idea unless you have the work experience to back it up and I don't.

On the plus side, the State U was really impressed with knowledge and degree planning skills and research. I knew more about the Universities CLEP policies than the people working there. If I was to get a masters in anything it would be counseling related so I could be a counselor/advisor. Over the years, I've noticed 99% of the time, I know more about the college policies than the people in charge. Counselor at my old CC laughed my degree plan and I told me my plan wouldn't work and suggested different courses. But I showed her when I graduated with two associates and two certificates in two years, all debt free, with all planning done by me.

I know I could have had my bachelors degree a while ago. When I got serious about finishing my degree in September. At TESU I was just 5 UL courses, capstone, and one CLEP away from a BALS. Could have graduated in March 2019 easy, but I figured I could do better than a generic BALS. It ended up working out so I earned a third associate and certificate in CIS at a different CC in a single semester's time and my total cost for everything was about $200. Once you get your first bachelors you don't get financial aid anymore, so I'm trying to make my bachelors a good one. I'm trying to see if I can major in Communications at State U but I'm not sure if that is possible in one year.

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - EducationSeeker - 06-28-2019

(06-27-2019, 09:33 PM)natshar Wrote: I guess I just have to convince my parents and some people in my life. They don't think an online degree is a "real degree."  Everyone in my life is suggesting the in-person option. I don't have a career or a set plan or anything so an in person college could give me direction.

With either option, I'll be working probably part-time. With TESU, if I can find a good full-time job I'll do that. But with the State U, I probably just work part-time. I have no interest in getting a masters degree any time soon. I don't think earning a masters particularly an MBA is a good idea unless you have the work experience to back it up and I don't.

On the plus side, the State U was really impressed with knowledge and degree planning skills and research. I knew more about the Universities CLEP policies than the people working there. If I was to get a masters in anything it would be counseling related so I could be a counselor/advisor. Over the years, I've noticed 99% of the time, I know more about the college policies than the people in charge. Counselor at my old CC laughed my degree plan and I told me my plan wouldn't work and suggested different courses. But I showed her when I graduated with two associates and two certificates in two years, all debt free, with all planning done by me.

I know I could have had my bachelors degree a while ago. When I got serious about finishing my degree in September. At TESU I was just 5 UL courses, capstone, and one CLEP away from a BALS. Could have graduated in March 2019 easy, but I figured I could do better than a generic BALS. It ended up working out so I earned a third associate and certificate in CIS at a different CC in a single semester's time and my total cost for everything was about $200. Once you get your first bachelors you don't get financial aid anymore, so I'm trying to make my bachelors a good one. I'm trying to see if I can major in Communications at State U but I'm not sure if that is possible in one year.
Natshar,

Not too throw too many options out there *but*

Option 3.5 - COSC if it is not too much extra money and there is less "up front" money that you may have to borrow if funds are tight

Option 4 - Work at Starbucks for a 20 hrs a week and look at doing Arizona State Online.  See what their transfer policies are, but, they may take up to 60-90 credits of online credit. Point is, they have 100% tuition reimbursement. Take a loan out for the first semester and then pay it off when you get reimbursed.  Just an option to look at

Option 1 with TESU sounds like the best option.  If borrowing the residency fee is an option, I would take it.

Make a business case and literally your parents walk them through how you would walk a potential customer/client through why you think TESU is a good option financially.  Show them statistics on the number of people/HR managers look favorably online  Show them the research you have done and the money you are saving.  This is a good example of selling someone on an idea...you!  It's also a great opportunity as to how you could sell someone on you say for a job interview. Be prepared, make a PowerPoint if you need to and show them you have passion along with your knowledge! If my 20 year old "kid" came up to me

Depending on your age, 1 year of college memories might be really over rated. Save the money for grad school and do an online AACSB accredited or competency based MBA which can be done for about $10-15K.  You could also get a job and then use tuition reimbursement so you have next to no debt.

I am 45 and my wife and I have six figures of student loan debt.  I make good money (over six figures and not bragging, but this debt is a weight around my neck.  I am doing everything in my power to keep my 17 year old's son student loan debt either $0 or under $20K which is a manageable amount of student loan debt.  

Hope this helps,

EducationSeeker

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - Stoic - 06-28-2019

(06-27-2019, 09:33 PM)natshar Wrote: I guess I just have to convince my parents and some people in my life. They don't think an online degree is a "real degree."  Everyone in my life is suggesting the in-person option. I don't have a career or a set plan or anything so an in person college could give me direction.

"I don't have a career or a set plan or anything so an in person college could give me direction."

I dealt with this dilemma in the past.  You may think you will get more direction, but even at the top programs of the USA you're just checking in a box and filling out requirements from a sheet of courses. You also hardly learn anything, and forget everything you learn in no time. Even at Harvard you're just cramming information to pass a quiz or write some paper and smart people in the real world know this. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with doing a state university, it's a good approach if you find a program that allows you to transfer in all your credits but the last 30 or so and you can complete that with the Pell. That's the approach I would personally take.  But also there's nothing wrong with doing a big 3 degree because ultimately if you're above 25 years old is all the same unless the degree is specialized in engineering or computer science, etc from a university with a good name. A big 3 degree in anything could get you a job where you get a salary raise and improve your quality of life in the very near future, also it will make you look more credible. I mean it's something to throw on your LinkedIn and resume and move forward and start working, plus whatever degrees or certificates you put on top of it pay for themselves with your higher earnings. Employers don't care about the name of where you went to college to a certain extent, it's software that's judging wether you checked in that bachelors box or not, the rest is how you sell yourself.

Here's some quick advice: Apply to Fort Hays State University General Studies bachelors with a concentration in business and transfer all your credit (they take clep, ace, etc) into their program which can be completed online. You can use the Pell and will probably get a bit of a kickback since the tuition is so cheap. This way you get a state u name in your resume and it's not going to take you forever to finish.

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - Ideas - 06-28-2019

I like option 5 (and option 6, FHSU) but it depends on what career(s) you are interested in, if you plan to do a grad degree or grad cert (and where you want to go for it), etc.

RE: Where to Finish my Degree? - MNomadic - 06-28-2019

There's definitely a value to a b&m state U with in person classes, social and networking activities but I personally think 10k in debt(after grants/scholarships) is way too much for 1 year of courses to get a general degree.

I don't know where you're located if there's better options or not but that's just my 2¢.
Not trying to throw more options at you but in addition to working part time at Starbucks for a free ASU degree, you can work part time at Walmart for a nearly free degree in business (or CS/IT, but you seem more interested in business).