Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats (/Thread-Sophia-org-Intro-to-Stats-vs-SDC-Principles-of-Stats)

Pages: 1 2

Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - CarpeDiem8 - 07-01-2019

hey guys!

Surprisingly, not much info on the forums for either of these courses. Anyone take either of them yet? Both appear to transfer in as STA-201 for TESU.

Thanks in advance!

Danielle

RE: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - MNomadic - 07-01-2019

I've taken the SDC stats course and also the Sophia foundations of statistics course(it's remedial).

I didn't find the SDC stats course to be very hard.

I can only speculate on the Sophia intro to stats course based on the foundations course but it also seems like it would be relatively doable without too much trouble.

If someone isn't as confident on their stats/math skills going in, I'd recommend they try out the Sophia foundations of statistics course first to give them a decent introduction to the subject. It is free through the Phoenix Sophia site.

RE: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - eriehiker - 07-02-2019

The Sophia Foundations of Statistics course transferred in for me as STA-201. This was last year, so I don't know if it has changed. It is only 2 credits, so this might be an issue when fulfilling degree requirements.

RE: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - MNomadic - 07-02-2019

(07-02-2019, 12:14 AM)eriehiker Wrote: The Sophia Foundations of Statistics course transferred in for me as STA-201.  This was last year, so I don't know if it has changed.  It is only 2 credits, so this might be an issue when fulfilling degree requirements.

I'd heard it worked for some but when I transferred it in it came in as a remedial course.

RE: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - CarpeDiem8 - 07-02-2019

(07-01-2019, 11:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote: If someone isn't as confident on their stats/math skills going in, I'd recommend they try out the Sophia foundations of statistics course first to give them a decent introduction to the subject. It is free through the Phoenix Sophia site.

Cool, thanks MNomadic!

If I buy it through phoenix.sophia.org, it would it still transfer in as 2 credits within my free electives for TESU, though, right? I doubt a subdomain or how much a course costs would affect TESU transfers, but I want to make sure!

Thanks again!

D

RE: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - MNomadic - 07-02-2019

(07-02-2019, 07:29 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 11:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote: If someone isn't as confident on their stats/math skills going in, I'd recommend they try out the Sophia foundations of statistics course first to give them a decent introduction to the subject. It is free through the Phoenix Sophia site.

Cool, thanks MNomadic!

If I buy it through phoenix.sophia.org, it would it still transfer in as 2 credits within my free electives for TESU, though, right? I doubt a subdomain or how much a course costs would affect TESU transfers, but I want to make sure!

Thanks again!

D
You can still transfer it to your ACE transcript just fine. However, it came in as a remedial course for me and was not worth credit. YMMV

RE: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - CarpeDiem8 - 07-02-2019

(07-02-2019, 09:01 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 07:29 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:

Cool, thanks MNomadic!

Thanks again!

D
You can still transfer it to your ACE transcript just fine. However, it came in as a remedial course for me and was not worth credit. YMMV

Ah, I see. So just a free course, which is great prep. but no credit. Gotcha! Thanks!

D Smile

Unfortunately I am unable to purchase the remedial for free, despite going to sub domain. When I go to purchase, it wants me to log in and then once I'm in, it's no longer free. TESU must be linked to my account.

RE: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - mysonx3 - 07-03-2019

You have to create a new account on the subdomain.

RE: Sophia.org Intro to Stats vs. SDC Principles of Stats - Supermind - 07-03-2019

I didn’t take SDC’s Statistics course, but just browsed through the content while doing my Calculus course. It feels simpler and clearer than Aleks Introductory Stats., which became quite frustrating after a point. So, if you are thinking of taking SDC Stats., go for it. Also, you get 4 credits for it.
Pls bear in mind that if you are working towards a Psychology degree, you need 3 Stats credits at minimum. This is what I gathered from discussing with my TESU academic advisor. So, if you took a 2 credit course, you might not easily find a 1 credit Stats course later. But if this is only an elective, or for some other degree where the number of Stats credits does not really matter, then you might be fine going ahead with it.