Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU BALS Capstone - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU BALS Capstone (/Thread-TESU-BALS-Capstone)

Pages: 1 2

TESU BALS Capstone - kevro64 - 07-03-2019

I am sure I am treading on familiar ground here, but slogging through endless posts has not got me the answer I need.

I plan to enroll in the BALS-SS capstone in December and have two questions:

1. How is the oral presentation, well, presented? Using some web video platform with your advisor as the audience?

2. While I have studied psych, crim justice and sociology it appears that the ETS test is only used when you have majored in one of these areas. So it looks like I will have to do the alternative written assignment. If you have done the written assignment, what was your experience?

3. Okay, I have 3 questions  Smile . If I take the guided study instead of the online course, do I participate in an online discussion still? It seems like the syllabus grades based on those taking the ETS test AND enrolled on-line (for example 20% of grade is based on online discussion, 5% based on ETS proficiency profile). I would like to know how grades are scored for non-ETS taking guided learners 

Thanks

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - TexasTink - 07-03-2019

I’m not sure what you’re talking about in regards to the oral presentation. I had no presentation for my Capstone. Are you planning on doing the creative project?

For the ETS, it’s my understanding that everyone has to take it. It was required for everyone in my Capstone class regardless of area of study. It really has nothing to do with any particular area of study - it’s a test that measures your math, reading comprehension, and overall critical thinking skills. Your grade on the test doesn’t matter. They just want you to take it. I’ve never heard of an alternate written assignment for it.

If you do the guided study option for the Capstone, there is no online discussion. Instead, you write more short papers along the way. I don’t know the specific grade percentage breakdown for the GS option though.

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - kevro64 - 07-03-2019

what you says makes sense, I think the first time I explored the capstone the description was different, But now the have a new description. I think it may be part of all the recent changes that started July 1. See new description

https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=LIB-495&sem=

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - etirflita - 07-03-2019

The Capstone definitely changed. I'm enrolled in the July course now and it's like the syllabus you linked with the ETS Major Field Test (or Written Communication Assessment) and the Oral presentation. For the Oral presentation you need to "Develop a recorded video presentation (8 to 10 minutes) on the goals, achievements, and conclusions of the capstone project."

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - mysonx3 - 07-03-2019

How will the Major Field Test be handled for double majors, I wonder?

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - badooble - 07-03-2019

I'm also in the July capstone, and the syllabus definitely now includes an oral presentation.  Here is the grading guidline now in the new syllabus:
  • Online discussions (5)—20%
  • Written assignments (4)—30%
  • ETS Major Field Test or Written Communication Assessment—10%    
  • ETS Proficiency Profile—5%  
  • Capstone project (2 parts)—35%
  • Academic research paper—25%  
  • Oral presentation—10%
I'm taking the guided study version (Dr. Tomko), which means I have to submit "Journal Assignments" in addition to the Written Assignments.  I assume the journal assignments replace the 'online discussion' participation.  

There is also a new 'required' textbook (no longer the in-house developed textbook):
  • Lester, J. D., & Lester, J. D., Jr. (2018). Writing research papers: A complete guide (16th ed.). New York, NY: Pearson. VitalSource ISBN-13: 978-0134575902

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - Supermind - 07-04-2019

OMG! Sounds quite intense and complicated.

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - yumyum - 07-04-2019

(07-03-2019, 12:24 PM)badooble Wrote: I'm also in the July capstone, and the syllabus definitely now includes an oral presentation.  Here is the grading guidline now in the new syllabus:
  • Oral presentation—10%
I'm taking the guided study version (Dr. Tomko), which means I have to submit "Journal Assignments" in addition to the Written Assignments.  I assume the journal assignments replace the 'online discussion' participation.  

There is also a new 'required' textbook (no longer the in-house developed textbook):
  • Lester, J. D., & Lester, J. D., Jr. (2018). Writing research papers: A complete guide (16th ed.). New York, NY: Pearson. VitalSource ISBN-13: 978-0134575902

I'm interested in seeing how this new course structure works out for people on this forum. I'll be waiting for feedback.

I feel it's a shame, regarding the new textbook requirement; I felt that the in-house book by Haydel was mostly adequate for the course. I only had a few issues with the in-house textbook while taking the course. 

I see the oral presentations as a possible con to the new course structure, but I see a few pros as well: the ETS Proficiency Profile is now worth 5% of your grade, instead of 2%. This part of the course is very easy and you will get these points for simply completing the proficiency profile.

Could you clarify what is meant by the percentage points breakdown in your syllabus? The numbers total out to 135%.

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - udi - 07-04-2019

(07-04-2019, 04:06 AM)yumyum Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 12:24 PM)badooble Wrote: I'm also in the July capstone, and the syllabus definitely now includes an oral presentation.  Here is the grading guidline now in the new syllabus:
  • Oral presentation—10%

I'm interested in seeing how this new course structure works out for people on this forum. I'll be waiting for feedback.

I feel it's a shame, regarding the new textbook requirement; I felt that the in-house book by Haydel was mostly adequate for the course. I only had a few issues with the in-house textbook while taking the course. 

I see the oral presentations as a possible con to the new course structure, but I see a few pros as well: the ETS Proficiency Profile is now worth 5% of your grade, instead of 2%. This part of the course is very easy and you will get these points for simply completing the proficiency profile.

Could you clarify what is meant by the percentage points breakdown in your syllabus? The numbers total out to 135%.

I think the academic research paper and oral presentation are part of the capstone.

RE: TESU BALS Capstone - yumyum - 07-04-2019

That would make sense. I wonder what the writing assignments are, since there are only 4 of them. In the past there were 5, one for each chapter of the capstone paper.

If the ETS Major Field Test points are awarded for simply completing the test, this may be a very friendly grading guideline, with 35% of the points being "free"; the 35% would come from the online discussions, and both of the ETS assignments.