Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? (/Thread-Has-anyone-done-the-SDC-Chem-111L-course)

Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - alab21 - 07-11-2019

I'm hoping someone who has done the study.com Chemistry 1 111L with Lab course can give me a list of what's in the chemistry set. I ordered it yesterday, but the website doesn't give a list of supplies included. I emailed them this morning asking for the packing list and I provided my order number, assuming they might not want to provide it if I hadn't purchased it already. I received a response saying there's a packing list in the order. Wow. Thanks. Not what I was asking for. I'm going to try using this class for my son's high school chemistry class this year, but I want to add experiments to the course, because I think it's light on experiments. Experiments = fun and understanding. I'm trying to finish up his syllabus for the year and order all supplies asap. Anyway, I'm a little perturbed with eScienceLabs's useless response and their online portal which will only let me "respond & close case". <- so I close the case and get no answer at all?? That's my one and only option??

Also, was the course enough to provide a good understanding of the material? I've matched it up the content with Khan and Modern States, just in case. I'm hopeful we won't need to jump around to many sources though!

RE: Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - dfrecore - 07-12-2019

I think there are 10 experiments, but I'm not sure anyone here has taken it, since it's fairly new.

Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - alab21 - 07-15-2019

Chemistry set just shipped for this course! I’ll report back!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

RE: Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - bjcheung77 - 07-15-2019

Oh hey, I'm wondering, are you going to be doing the Chem 112 as well? I noticed the ACE recommendation for it, there's a Chem 112L, but I can't find it for 3 credits course and 1 credit lab, total of 4 credits for the Chem II requirement. I am curious what lab set is required for that... I have Chem 1 already and will do the Ed4credit lab, but need a Chem II+Lab.

Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - alab21 - 07-16-2019

(07-15-2019, 05:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Oh hey, I'm wondering, are you going to be doing the Chem 112 as well? I noticed the ACE recommendation for it, there's a Chem 112L, but I can't find it for 3 credits course and 1 credit lab, total of 4 credits for the Chem II requirement. I am curious what lab set is required for that... I have Chem 1 already and will do the Ed4credit lab, but need a Chem II+Lab.

If there’s one avail we may do it. I haven’t seen 112L either. Maybe it’s in the works! Right now I have 111L scheduled for fall semester. If we can finish it that fast, with the rest of his load and community college classes, we *may* follow up with 112 in the spring, assuming the 112L lab shows up by then.

If 111L really is all he needs to pass the CLEP/AP, he will sit for the exam. It’s considered a challenging exam. If he doesn’t pass, the ACE credit would be for his backup plan (or possibly EA.ASU’s Chem 114, but still may need a second Chem). Some colleges I’ve looked at will give credit for Chem 1& 2 with lab for a high enough CLEP score. 1 or 2 colleges on his college list *might* accept the ACE from SDC. If he gets the necessary credit via CLEP/AP or ASU, obviously we wouldn’t bother with 112L. If he has to take it at a CC, I might have him do 112L 2nd semester just so I know he’s been taught all he needs and he could take the 2 college courses at CC his Junior year of HS. Many factors at play!

Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - alab21 - 07-17-2019

Chemistry set arrived today. I tried uploading the packing list, but it kept erroring out. Everything was packed well. It has every single thing you need, down to pot holders, ziplock bags, toothpicks, and exactly 2 gummy bears. Lol. It includes a glass 600ml beaker, 250ml glass Erlenmeyer flask, some plastic graduated cylinders and smaller beakers. 3 glass test tubes, test tube clamp, large glass stir rod, large thermometer. You can kind of tell the rest of the contents from the published experiments and I’d guess there’s not a lot of extra chemicals included. All tiny bottles. I mainly wanted to know what lab equipment they were sending so I could order accordingly for the extra (fun) stuff I wanted to add. Hopefully that helps others who might be planning to do the same.

RE: Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - MNomadic - 07-18-2019

(07-17-2019, 06:10 PM)alab21 Wrote: Chemistry set arrived today. I tried uploading the packing list, but it kept erroring out. Everything was packed well. It has every single thing you need, down to pot holders, ziplock bags, toothpicks, and exactly 2 gummy bears. Lol. It includes a glass 600ml beaker, 250ml glass Erlenmeyer flask,  some plastic graduated cylinders and smaller beakers. 3 glass test tubes, test tube clamp, large glass stir rod, large thermometer. You can kind of tell the rest of the contents from the published experiments and I’d guess there’s not a lot of extra chemicals included. All tiny bottles. I mainly wanted to know what lab equipment they were sending so I could order accordingly for the extra (fun) stuff I wanted to add. Hopefully that helps others who might be planning to do the same.

I wonder how much of that lab kit overlaps with the chem112L labkit.

RE: Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - bjcheung77 - 07-18-2019

Study.com, they use a different set - Chem I Lab uses KIT4050, Chem II Lab uses KIT4516

RE: Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - EvilSandman - 05-15-2020

(07-15-2019, 04:10 PM)alab21 Wrote: Chemistry set just shipped for this course! I’ll report back!

Can you provide an update, how was it. Im looking at taking this ASAP.

RE: Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? - mcorye91 - 03-25-2021

(07-18-2019, 12:27 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 06:10 PM)alab21 Wrote: Chemistry set arrived today. I tried uploading the packing list, but it kept erroring out. Everything was packed well. It has every single thing you need, down to pot holders, ziplock bags, toothpicks, and exactly 2 gummy bears. Lol. It includes a glass 600ml beaker, 250ml glass Erlenmeyer flask,  some plastic graduated cylinders and smaller beakers. 3 glass test tubes, test tube clamp, large glass stir rod, large thermometer. You can kind of tell the rest of the contents from the published experiments and I’d guess there’s not a lot of extra chemicals included. All tiny bottles. I mainly wanted to know what lab equipment they were sending so I could order accordingly for the extra (fun) stuff I wanted to add. Hopefully that helps others who might be planning to do the same.

I wonder how much of that lab kit overlaps with the chem112L labkit.

Hi any update on the Chemistry course at SDC? I see they have a virtual lab now which is awesome! Taking this very soon. How long did it take you to complete? Thanks!