Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Tesu Residency Requirements - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Tesu Residency Requirements (/Thread-Tesu-Residency-Requirements--32911)

Pages: 1 2 3

Tesu Residency Requirements - SweetsugarNL - 07-17-2019

Residency Requirements
Thomas Edison State University has certain academic residency requirements, however, there are no physical residency requirements. Thomas Edison State University requires a minimum of 30 credits from a regionally accredited institution for bachelor’s degrees and 15 for associate degrees when all other earned credits applied to the degree are from a foreign country, including Canada.
Academic Residency Requirement
  • All degree programs that have a capstone course requirement must have that capstone requirement fulfilled by Thomas Edison State University credit. The capstone requirement cannot be fulfilled via transfer credit. See Capstone Transfer Policy.
  • The joint degree programs with Rutgers School of Health Professions have academic residency requirements. For associate degrees the requirement is 6 credits and for bachelor’s degrees the requirement is 12 credits. This number of credits must be taken from the University before a student in these programs is eligible for graduation.
  • For non-degree enrolled students, at least 50% of the credits required for an undergraduate or a graduate certificate must be earned at Thomas Edison State University. Application of any transferred credits is at the discretion of the dean.
I got this in a email from TESU. Does this means that i am unable to test almost everything out? I can transfer 90 international credits.But i need 30 from regionally accredited institution for bachelor’s degrees. So this is a university and not sites like study.com?

RE: Tesu Residency Requirements - Supermind - 07-18-2019

I suppose this means that the university in your home country, whose credits you will be transferring in, must be accredited.

RE: Tesu Residency Requirements - lacussucceed - 07-18-2019

I think you need to ask TESU what they mean and whether it can be waived.

Supermind, I don't think so, I think they require that amount of RA credits from the US. However this could be different and could be waived perhaps.

RE: Tesu Residency Requirements - Supermind - 07-18-2019

Oh yes! I get what you are saying. So, if one is transferring 90 credits from a foreign country, 30 credits need to be from an RA institution in the US. I think TESU is basically hinting that one needs to sign up for those 30 credits with them!

Exactly, but maybe a residency waiver can also work for this requirement...

RE: Tesu Residency Requirements - SweetsugarNL - 07-18-2019

Yes im a little bit confused right now.

Ask them to explain this requirement.

RE: Tesu Residency Requirements - cookderosa - 07-18-2019

(07-17-2019, 02:27 PM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: Residency Requirements
Thomas Edison State University has certain academic residency requirements, however, there are no physical residency requirements. Thomas Edison State University requires a minimum of 30 credits from a regionally accredited institution for bachelor’s degrees and 15 for associate degrees when all other earned credits applied to the degree are from a foreign country, including Canada.
Academic Residency Requirement
  • All degree programs that have a capstone course requirement must have that capstone requirement fulfilled by Thomas Edison State University credit. The capstone requirement cannot be fulfilled via transfer credit. See Capstone Transfer Policy.
  • The joint degree programs with Rutgers School of Health Professions have academic residency requirements. For associate degrees the requirement is 6 credits and for bachelor’s degrees the requirement is 12 credits. This number of credits must be taken from the University before a student in these programs is eligible for graduation.
  • For non-degree enrolled students, at least 50% of the credits required for an undergraduate or a graduate certificate must be earned at Thomas Edison State University. Application of any transferred credits is at the discretion of the dean.
I got this in a email from TESU. Does this means that i am unable to test almost everything out? I can transfer 90 international credits.But i need 30 from regionally accredited institution for bachelor’s degrees. So this is a university and not sites like study.com?

Tesu Residency Requirements - mysonx3 - 07-18-2019

If this is what it sounds like, it's a potentially huge deal that basically takes TESU off the test-out map and makes it a Big 2 of Excelsior and COSC

RE: Tesu Residency Requirements - davewill - 07-18-2019

Get a clarification. It could simply be poor communication, something TESU excels at, and simply mean only 90 foreign transfer units, or it could mean what it says literally. Certainly other foreign students have been able to do test out here before.