Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Which Shmoop are fastest? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Which Shmoop are fastest? (/Thread-Which-Shmoop-are-fastest)

Which Shmoop are fastest? - bethanyneedsajob - 08-07-2019

Assuming very little memory of high school courses years ago, I didn’t live under a rock though and worked a fairly professional job. With that kind of background... I wondered for others that have tried to jam through some Shmoop courses, which were the fast and easy ones? I’m trying to make some progress since I haven’t gotten very far along besides the free courses and am starting community college for two classes in a couple of weeks. I’ll be doing a BALS sciences (biology/earth or something) at COSC.

RE: Which Shmoop are fastest? - jsh1138 - 08-08-2019

it depends on what you know. If you're familiar with the Bible, Bible as Lit can be done in a couple of hours. If you're familiar with Shakespeare, the Shakespeare courses are very quick. Media Literacy is fast, History of Technology is fast, if you're a decent writer then Professional Writing is fast.

RE: Which Shmoop are fastest? - eriehiker - 08-08-2019

I have been taking some of these classes through the summer. I have noticed that there are a bunch of classes with five, eight or nine buttons for units along the top of the page, but then have twelve units in the syllabus on the left. I know that Shmoop is going through the process of renewing ACE designation and I am curious if they are making some classes longer for this purpose.

RE: Which Shmoop are fastest? - troutsniffer - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 01:11 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I have been taking some of these classes through the summer. I have noticed that there are a bunch of classes with five, eight or nine buttons for units along the top of the page, but then have twelve units in the syllabus on the left. I know that Shmoop is going through the process of renewing ACE designation and I am curious if they are making some classes longer for this purpose.

I just check that out and it appears the buttons at the top are still stuck on the last course you looked at, that's why it doesn't match the sylabus. If you click on the unit links at the top it will take you back to the previous course that you viewed.

RE: Which Shmoop are fastest? - bethanyneedsajob - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 06:24 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: it depends on what you know. If you're familiar with the Bible, Bible as Lit can be done in a couple of hours. If you're familiar with Shakespeare, the Shakespeare courses are very quick. Media Literacy is fast, History of Technology is fast, if you're a decent writer then Professional Writing is fast.

Thanks Smile

RE: Which Shmoop are fastest? - bjcheung77 - 08-08-2019

The fastest Shmoop courses are the ones that you are most familiar with. I highly recommend just browsing their course and view the topics that's within each course syllabus. Further to that, you should take only the ones that you have interest in. I took 3 History courses from them when they first offered ACE recommended courses (the only ones at that time for $25/month).

That was 9 credits and I hated their way of teaching, it was the end of Shmoop for me... Frankly, I think they are on par with their course structure, if not worse than Saylor courses... they are cheap enough, but I would rather pay a bit more for easier/faster learning and retaining of information.