Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Question about TESU's Residency Waiver (/Thread-Question-about-TESU-s-Residency-Waiver)

Pages: 1 2

Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - amaquiling - 08-16-2019

After calculating the costs of paying the residency fee vs. taking courses at TESU to waive the fee, with my employer's tuition benefit, I found that the cost would be about the same. However, when planning out my courses for the upcoming term, I found that I would be 1cr short of the 16cr needed. 

Has anyone had this fee waived with only 15 credits taken at TESU? Alternatively, does anyone know of 1cr courses (besides the Medical Terminology course) that can be used to fulfill this?

RE: Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - natshar - 08-16-2019

There is a one credit Jane Austen course that involves reading her novels. 

There is also a one credit prior learning assessment portfolio course which might be good if you have some life experience you want to get credit for.

And there are various lab Science which might not be bad if you like Science and online labs.

And then medical terminology of course. I believe that is all the courses TESU offers for one credit.

RE: Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - armstrongsubero - 08-16-2019

You can take the Jane Austen course:

https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=ENG-298&CourseCode=ENG-298

16 is 16. 16 is not 15.

RE: Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - amaquiling - 08-16-2019

(08-16-2019, 10:06 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: You can take the Jane Austen course:

https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=ENG-298&CourseCode=ENG-298

16 is 16. 16 is not 15.

Thank you for the suggestion. 

I was only asking because my TESU advisors have been generous regarding my credits, such as reviewing my previously earned credits to fulfill some of my Gen Ed requirements. I am well-aware that 16 is not 15, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences regarding this requirement. Certainly does not hurt to ask lol

RE: Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - davewill - 08-16-2019

The old cornerstone was 1 cr, so that's why they made the threshold 16 rather than a multiple of 3. Unfortunately, they are more likely to revise it up to 18 cr than round down to 15 cr. I'd say it's time to sit down and enjoy Jane Austen before they do so.

(08-16-2019, 10:06 AM)natshar Wrote: There is a one credit Jane Austen course that involves reading her novels. 

There is also a one credit prior learning assessment portfolio course which might be good if you have some life experience you want to get credit for.

And there are various lab Science which might not be bad if you like Science and online labs.

And then medical terminology of course. I believe that is all the courses TESU offers for one credit.

Have you taken the PLA? What is the course format like?

RE: Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - natshar - 08-16-2019

(08-16-2019, 01:32 PM)amaquiling Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 10:06 AM)natshar Wrote: There is a one credit Jane Austen course that involves reading her novels. 

I have not. But you can read the course description and syllabus from the TESU website.

I was simply listing all the one credit courses.

(08-16-2019, 01:35 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 01:32 PM)amaquiling Wrote:

I have not. But you can read the course description and syllabus from the TESU website.

I was simply listing all the one credit courses.

I did read the course description and syllabus earlier, just wondering if "life experience" was really necessary for the course itself.

RE: Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - davewill - 08-16-2019

(08-16-2019, 01:32 PM)amaquiling Wrote: Have you taken the PLA? What is the course format like?

You learn how to document prior learning for submission to the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) program. It's not a terribly demanding course. It is not expected that you will complete a portfolio or actually submit one during the course. Honestly, it would be pretty dry stuff if you weren't actually interested in pursuing a PLA submission. Personally, I would rather read "Pride and Prejudice".

RE: Question about TESU's Residency Waiver - allvia - 08-16-2019

(08-16-2019, 04:53 PM)davewill Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 01:32 PM)amaquiling Wrote: Have you taken the PLA? What is the course format like?

You learn how to document prior learning for submission to the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) program. It's not a terribly demanding course. It is not expected that you will complete a portfolio or actually submit one during the course. Honestly, it would be pretty dry stuff if you weren't actually interested in pursuing a PLA submission. Personally, I would rather read "Pride and Prejudice".

@amaquiling - Keep in mind this is the advice from a guy who actually did PLAs to earn credits for his TESU degree! Smile (see davewill's signature from his original reply)