Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
New Provider: Outlier.org - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: New Provider: Outlier.org (/Thread-New-Provider-Outlier-org)

Pages: 1 2

New Provider: Outlier.org - Sapientes - 08-17-2019

Just saw a new online provider is now available named Outlier. Here's what I've been able to find out so far:

• Only 2 courses available at the moment (Calculus 1 & Intro to Psychology) with more courses planned
  • Each is $400, at least for now (Can't use financial aid)
  • College credit is earned via the University of Pittsburgh (typically 3 credits)
  • They will refund all of your money if you don't pass
  • You can request a refund within the first 2 weeks of a starting class
  • Classes are on a 14 week schedule with a fixed start date and are NOT self-paced - at least for now
  • Each class is led by an instructor, typically with a Ph.D., and taught via recorded lectures
  • At least for the calculus class, you can switch between instructors at anytime
  • Free tutoring and student study groups are available at set times, not on-demand
Looks very promising and may be a good alternative for those that have struggled with other providers (SL, SDC, etc).

RE: New Provider: Outlier.org - jsd - 08-17-2019

$400 is a lot, but it appears as if it comes on an official University of Pittsburgh transcript (as you implied), which makes it a lot more transferable than ACE/NCCRS. Seems like that might change, as it says they're partnered with them for their fall term, implying that it might be a different partnership later.

RE: New Provider: Outlier.org - homeschoolmom1 - 08-18-2019

I dug around the outlier.org website a bit and just wanted to share two little bits of information:

- A passing grade is 60% of answers correct.
- The minimum age to use this site is 13 years old (Hurray! Still waiting for onlinedegree to follow suit and lower the minimum age from 18)
- Not sure what the proctoring provider is, will keep on looking

Overall, while a bit (ok, a lot for our liking) expensive, it is always nice to have more choices with providers, especially those that provide grades.

I found that they use "Artificial Intelligence" proctoring through Examity.

RE: New Provider: Outlier.org - cookderosa - 08-19-2019

This is happening! By my count, this is the 3rd company that has successfully figured out an inroad into credit laundering - actual real credit laundering. As such, it's certainly worth more to receive RA credit instead of ACE credit.

I'm pretty excited about this simply because their other product (Masterclass) is excellent. Assuming similar quality, it will be exceptionally good... fingers crossed.

New Provider: Outlier.org - mysonx3 - 08-19-2019

For $400 and not self-paced, might as well skip the credit laundering and do ASU earned admission. They've got more options as well.

RE: New Provider: Outlier.org - jsh1138 - 08-19-2019

https://news.elearninginside.com/with-outlier-masterclass-co-founder-aaron-rasmussen-brings-studio-production-to-undergrad-online-courses/

here's an interview with the founder, who is also involved with Masterclass. I'm a member of Masterclass and it's extremely well produced and has alot of big names involved in it. I wouldn't pay $400 for undergraduate credit but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this becomes much bigger than that.

RE: New Provider: Outlier.org - jsd - 08-19-2019

I will third the claim and say I'll also confirm Masterclass is fantastic.

New Provider: Outlier.org - harrypotter - 08-20-2019

I love the “don’t pass don’t pay policy”, that’s something I don’t think I’ve ever seen. I’m definitely interested in the calculus course because I’m a math phobic. A little pricey though.

RE: New Provider: Outlier.org - Marcus Aurelius - 08-21-2019

Are letter grades awarded or is it on a pass/fail basis?

RE: New Provider: Outlier.org - terryd5150 - 08-21-2019

(08-19-2019, 07:52 AM)cookderosa Wrote: This is happening!  By my count, this is the 3rd company that has successfully figured out an inroad into credit laundering - actual real credit laundering.  As such, it's certainly worth more to receive RA credit instead of ACE credit.

I'm pretty excited about this simply because their other product (Masterclass) is excellent.  Assuming similar quality, it will be exceptionally good... fingers crossed.

Hi, Jennifer: 

I'm familiar with Westcott/Omega Math. 

Who else am I missing?